Monday, April 5, 2021

Summer Running - It's My Jam


It's no secret that I love Summer. 

And, I love summer running. I can say, in all honesty, Summer is my favorite season for running.

While many find the heat (and humidity) of the summer months too much to bear, I find it invigorating. After all, I'd rather be too hot than too cold. Call me crazy.

I doubt I'll be able to persuade any heat-haters to come over to my side (and that's alright), but I will share a few reasons why Summer is my jam.


For starters, you don't have to worry about second guessing the weather. Even though the humidity may vary, and there will be an occasional "cool" day, the temps are going to be comfortably warm for the most part. Even rain won't be a big deal-breaker (and it may actually be a welcome refresher).

As far as the temps go, you can say goodbye to multiple layers. It won't take as long to get dressed for a run. It won't take very long to feel warmed up either. 


Taking a walk break won't leave you freezing as you catch your breath. In the dead of winter, a simple walk break isn't as comfortable. In fact, pausing for a short walk may actually enhance your performance (race day or not) if it's an especially hot day.

And if it's a windy day, the odds are favorable it will be more of a balmy breeze than a freezing cold wind chill. Besides, you'll probably be sweating...a little wind may feel nice.


If you have any fall races on the calendar, training in the summer heat will give you an edge come race day. Sure, you can opt inside, with a fan blowing in your face, and sweat it out on the treadmill. You'll still get the mileage done. But, what if it's unseasonably warm on race day? All those air-conditioned treadmill miles won't be your best weapon. Running outside, when done with care and caution, can be its own reward.


Let's not forget the extended daylight, both in the morning and evening. It's no secret I love my sunrises, whether I'm running, walking or biking. I can assure you, I enjoy them more in the summer because I have more time in the earlier hours (before heading to work).


In all fairness, I can assure you that I enjoy running, outdoors, year-round. I love the freshness of Spring, the crispness of Fall and the tranquility of Winter. I simply love the heat, sunshine, and simplicity of Summer more. No hard feelings.

Anyways, that's my story. We all get to do this running gig our way. I'm lucky, and quite grateful, the heat doesn't seem to affect me as much as it does others. Besides, we all know how I feel about running indoors ala Milly.

Your turn...what's your favorite season for running?  

A few related posts:


I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up


I'm also linking with Debbie, DeborahLisaLaura and Jenn for the Runners' Roundup


By the way...are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter


34 comments:

  1. Absolutely with you on this, Kim!! I'd rather be too hot and sweaty than freezing cold. I've been training a lot in the summer heat in the last few months and it's sometimes been rough - but I'd rather have that than being frozen.
    It's so unfair that you have to deal with the Iowa winters! You need to escape to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would miss the winter season, but definitely NOT the extreme cold and l.o.n.g length of it if we lived elsewhere. I can tolerate being too hot so much better than being too cold.

      Delete
  2. I love that there are four seasons and I love running in the spring and fall because of racing and the lack of ice and snow.

    But as you do, I love SUMMER!!!!!!!!! birds, flowers, sunshine. DST for longer days and if it's hot and humid, just run early!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Summer can get hot, humid and pretty miserable. I will not deny that LOL But, there are ways to deal with it.

      Delete
  3. You hit the nail on the head: running is great year round and there's something special about each season. I remember a summer run last year that was all headwind, but the breeze was really cool so I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I curse the wind (no matter the season LOL), I immediately feel remorse when I change direction on a windy summer day...because a tail wind does not have any "cooling" qualities.

      Delete
  4. I would rather be too hot also. As much as I complain about running in the heat, I prefer it over winter running. I just throw on a tank and shorts and head out the door. Even though I may run slower in the summer, I feel more comfortable overall than in the freezing cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter running is so much tougher...not just the questionable street conditions, but the cold wind and erratic temps. I'm constantly guessing how many layers to wear because it seldom ever feel like the same conditions on consecutive days. In the summer time, it's just hot all the time LOL

      Delete
  5. While you have not convinced me to come over to the hot side, all of my races are now in the fall. I will have to learn how to adapt to the heat this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...the Hot Side! Come along and join us ;-) We have Gatorade ;-)

      Delete
  6. Nope, you are not gonna get me over to the dark side (aka summer running). I *think* I prefer Winter running to Summer, although neither is my fav. I love my in between seasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The in-between seasons do have a lot to offer. I can tolerate Winter, but it's definitely the last place finisher in my choices of seasons LOL

      Delete
  7. So I don't hate Summer running. :-) It just isn't my favorite. I do love it when it isn't hot or humid.

    Thank you for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humidity certainly is the toughest aspect of summer, especially in terms of running (or outdoor fitness in general). It does a nasty number on my hair, too!

      Delete
  8. I prefer cooler temps like Spring or Fall. Fortunately our summers don’t have the humidity that other states have. Humidity drains my energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humidity definitely is tough! Those rare golden summer days with no (or low) humidity are so wonderful ;-)

      Delete
  9. Love your reasons! The simplicity of getting ready for a run in the summer is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? IT's liberating to not have to contemplate how many layers...

      Delete
  10. I really don't mind running in the summer either. The heat used to get to me, but as I get older, I tolerate heat better and dislike the cold more. I don't love the humidity, but living in the mid-Atlantic, I don't have a lot of choice about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humidity is such a buzzkill...but I'll take it over a freezing cold sub-ZERO wind chill. No brainer!

      Delete
  11. Although summer running is not my favourite, I must say I agree with everything you've said! And it does give you an edge on race day. When training through the summer (I never avoid the heat unless its extremely HOT) I find it just makes me appreciate autumn and winter runs all that more! My favourite seasons are definitely Autumn and Winter, but we don't get the cold you get. It's crisp and can get quite cold especially in the earlier hours but doesn't need the layering you guys need. Plus no snow, ice or wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't so buttocks-freezing cold here, I'd appreciate Winter a lot more!

      Delete
  12. I'll give you this...it's much easier to find something to wear for summer running, and laundry is less daunting! I am just a sweaty mess in the summer heat/humidity and it ain't pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm a sweaty mess, too...but I find it kind of a good "cleansing" kind of feeling. (I know, I'm kind of alone on my own island with that train of thought LOL)

      Delete
  13. That's awesome you love summer running so much. You are right that training thru heat helps make you faster when it cools down. I don't mind summer running but summer marathon training can wear on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer marathon training is tough, no argument there. The two marathons I did in mid-June (both of them at Grandma's), though, really suffered due to the crazy spring weather and my seasonal busyness (that was still in my prime prom committee days, as well as graduations and dance recitals).

      Delete
  14. Yep, I agree with everything you said. Living in Florida, I still prefer a hot run to the cold. Even though you warm up as you run, I don't appreciate that chilly blast when you walk out the door. I love all the daylight, and getting dressed is EASY! Summer all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it well...that cold blast, right out of the house, is brutal!

      Delete
  15. I totally agree that summer running makes you stronger! Our summers hit a little different (for example, summer rain in Florida is anything but refreshing!), but if I can make it through the 18 month long season, I can do anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, summer just feel easier to me. Or maybe the "suffering" is more bearable than that of the winter season. I hate being cold, and it's tough to avoid that in Iowa during the winter season.

      Delete
  16. You don't have to convince me - summer running is the best running in my mind too. I love the heat! I love the lower amount of running clothes to wash in the summer too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the heat is where it's at (at least for a few of us LOL). I appreciate not having to always be guessing how many layers...because that does vary depending on the wind. None of that weather stalking is necessary in the summer ;-)

      Delete
  17. I actually do like running when it's warm. Which is a good thing since that's most of the year here. I'm not crazy about it when it's already 90 degrees at 5 am though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My favorite running temperatures are 40-50 degrees, so I like both spring and fall! I enjoy the lighter mornings of spring.

    ReplyDelete