Monday, April 26, 2021

Spring - Then vs. Now


What's up with Spring 2021? 

Things are a little different, now, than they were a year ago. There's still a lot of unrest and unknowns, but things are definitely moving in a better direction, at least in terms of "normalcy" for us runners.

Thankfully, I didn't put my running shoes (or other fitness accessories) in storage once Covid hit the fan, but there were some necessary adjustments last Spring. Now, as the vaccine is allowing for more freedom (and/or peace of mind... for some, at least), I find myself (again) adjusting my regimen.

Shall we do a then vs. now comparison?

One of the biggest then vs. now differences is racing. Last year, I had already done three races by mid-March (and there were several more on my Spring calendar). The hubby and I had just returned from the Leprechaun Chase (March 7th). Little did we know, at the time, that it would be our last live race (except for the Sully Freedom Fun Run, on July 4th) for 2020. This year's Leprechaun Chase was our inaugural running event of 2021. I've since also run the Chocoholic Frolic 5K  and Drake Road Races Half Marathon. But, at the moment, my calendar is open for a few months...

in 2020...at the after-party

in 2021...with a mask

A year ago, I was in the middle of all those 5K time trials with the UN-Canceled Project (recap HERE). In 2020, virtual races and challenges were all the rage because that's all we had. Granted many of us didn't "need" those virtuals, but they did fill a void. With all my spring races either postponed or canceled, I threw myself into 12 weeks of 5K time trials. The benefit was a weekly speedwork session (of sorts).  Obviously, those 5K's aren't happening this year...but I have been contemplating doing weekly 1-mile time trials, possibly in May and June. What do you think...could I? Should I?


I did most of those 5K's on Mondays (because that just seemed to work best with my schedule). And, most of those Mondays featured crazy wind. Almost.Every.Week. In keeping with what seems to be my Monday way of life, those windy conditions have continued in 2021. Even without all those 5K's, I still have all the wind. Call me lucky.


This year, I've had the stress fracture as part of my reality. Yes, my rally-back is pretty much history, but my winter/early spring mileage was very minimal...which has me (currently) in a bit of a holding pattern now. I'm back to a comfortable half marathon "base," but there are not many half marathons to run. I think I'll keep my weekend long runs at 10 miles (with an occasional cut-back weekend in there). In the mean time, though, I'll be biking! I acquired a nice collection of cycling jerseys last summer, so I'm all set! Consistent cycling will definitely be on the roster this spring, and will continue through the summer and fall.


So, those are some thoughts on the then vs. now of Spring 2020 and 2021. Fingers crossed we've (finally) turned the corner and all the unseasonal cold weather is behind us. I'm looking forward to plenty of sunshine and warmer temps. I'd love less wind, but that's wishful thinking LOL.

How are things in your fitness world, compared to this time last year? Are races starting to reappear in your area?  Are you tempted to register for as many races as possible...or are you content to take things slow, and ease back?

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up


I'm also linking with Debbie, DeborahLisaLaura and Jenn for the Runners' Roundup

By the way...are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

24 comments:

  1. What an interesting comparison, Kim! It's a good thing that runners learned quickly to adapt to the pandemic mode.

    Yes, I think you should absolutely do those weekly 1-mile time trials!
    Without races, I have come to love personal challenges. I will start a 10k training in May with a virtual Garmin coach - I like having a structure and a goal to work for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't especially LOVE 1-milers, but that's what is kind of intriguing me about doing them LOL Besides, the college's track is just a few blocks from my house, so I wouldn't have to map out a 1-mile course and deal with traffic.

      Delete
  2. Even though there are a few races here, I am not signing up. I'm still balancing a lot of plates, so I'll be keeping running on the back burner.

    This time of year is usually windy. I'd say so far, despite our dreary weather lately (and they promised some nice weather -- boo!), this Spring has been nicer than many in the last few years. FB memories to remind me! We've had a lot of years when there was even more snow than we've had this year!

    Only you know if the 1 milers are the right thing for you. Here's the thing about goals, though -- if they're not serving you, you can move on to the next goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly on the goals ;-) I'm not getting paid to do any time trials, and I have only myself to report to LOL

      Delete
  3. Last year I'd also done 3 races out of my scheduled 20. Now I've still had no in-person races and none on the calendar for the foreseeable future! But I'm starting to feel less anxious about not having any races. My motivation is starting to wane a bit so I need to find another challenge to keep me going until races return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have some races opening backup, but they're sparse. A lot of them are short courses (mostly 5K's), probably due to the Covid restrictions with water stands and volunteers. At least it's something, but not my favorite for options.

      Delete
  4. It's so strange to think back a year. I was sad about races being cancelled but I thought by summer they'd be back. I did some virtuals but never raced them.

    A year later, I am so happy that we have a few racing and I am signing up of course.

    Once I got my vaccine, I felt comfortable (actually even before because I trusted the RD to make the race safe.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had several half marathons, all postponed...only to wind up going virtually by September. I'd run a few of them virtually (for fun, because I was in shape for them), but had to "bike" a couple (#stressfracture) and deferred some.

      Delete
  5. It's funny how things seem very different from this time last year, but also very similar? I guess because there are still no live races in my neck of the woods.

    The weather this Spring has definitely been more wacky - so many different cold fronts and rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there are many things that are similar...but it's nice that many things are for the better. Onward!

      Delete
  6. I have similar feelings. Last year I was all "must run all the races even if I'm by myself", and now it feels much more like a "whatever" year. About those mile trials...if I get a vote then the answer is yes do 'em! It's absolutely terrifying to go all out for one mile but it's oh so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Your vote counts!! I'm not feeling the FOMO to register for every available race either...that may change as the weather warms up LOL

      Delete
  7. I guess for me the only thing different this year is that we are starting to have live races again! I run by myself almost exclusively and the pandemic didn't change that. I did do some virtual challenges and I hated my races being canceled. I'm definitely more slow to commit to races now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bummer to have all those cancellations last year. So many of mine were "postponed to the Fall," and then succumbed to the virtual status. I'm glad that's all behind us, and things are on the upswing ;-)

      Delete
  8. It is hard to believe that all of those uncancelled events were a year ago already! Wow that went my fast in a way. I still won't have a live race for a while but I sure will be happy when I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy to believe we all made it through 2020 LOL We are a resilient breed ;-)

      Delete
  9. Looking at pictures from this time last year I think it was colder than this year! I don't think this spring as been too bad, but there have definitely been some chilly and windy days here. Its crazy to think how much we didn't know about COVID last year at this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just remember so much wind last spring...especially on Mondays LOL I mean, we always have wind in the spring, but it seems like the wind was much stronger (both last year and this year). #NotAFan

      Delete
  10. Hmm, the one mile time trials sound intriguing! I think you should do them and let us know all about it.
    Crazy to think that last year we were still at the beginning of Covid, and now we're all being vaccinated! What a year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm back to having at least one race per month since January and I'm totally loving it! I really missed having races and I even missed being "jealous" of other runners on my non-race weekends! This coming weekend I know a lot of people headed to Montana for the Spartan Trifecta weekend and I'm a bit jealous that I have to stay home! I'm overdue for a relaxing weekend as I've been traveling the last two weeks but still I wish I were competing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Last year was one of the rare years when I'd signed up for quite a few races in advance (probably because I got good deals on them lol). Ah well, they were all canceled, virtual, or postponed, with just one left on my calendar which will hopefully take place in October (Rock 'n' Roll San Diego).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Things have definitely picked up. This time last year I was just getting back to running from my injury. Now I'm training for a half. What a strange year it's been, but I'm glad things are getting back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was fun to read! It is strange to look back and compare last year to this year and seeing any improvements or not. Yes, to the 1-mile trial! Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was running much higher mileage a year ago! I'm hoping to get back there soon. It is exciting this year to have more prospects of fall races.

    ReplyDelete