Thursday, December 2, 2021

A Fallout Finale...via my coffee cup


Talk about your paradoxes.

Most everyone knows the fall season is not my favorite, but this week has been a nice treat. The thing is, I know it's just teasing me with the 50F temps and mild wind, LOL. Ironically, I'm kind of hoping this particular fall weather will stick around a bit longer. If only, right?

That said, even in the mild (almost balmy) weather, I'm still enjoying my chai latte(s). Honestly, I don't need sub-freezing temps to relish a hot comforting beverage. 

What's more, I don't need an excuse to crave some coffee talk with friends, even if it has to be a virtual coffee date. You, too? Shall we? 

Let's get this party started...

If we were having coffee, I'd start off by telling you about how conspicuous I felt in my holiday socks on Tuesday's streak run. Even though Thanksgiving is behind us, and technically it is the holiday season, it just feels premature wearing the holiday gear before December commences. Anyone else have that mindset? That said, I put up the first Christmas tree on the Sunday before Thanksgiving without reservation.


Since we're sort of talking about coffee, I'd play Show & Tell with this meme. It popped up (by coincidence?) in a couple different places on my social media feeds this week. Gosh, it really makes me wonder if this is what all the coffee-drinkers think of us non-coffee peeps. Throw in a runner (like myself, for example) who has repeatedly said the early morning runs (and workouts, in general) are "my coffee" and yikes. Not only do all of my running friends know this about me...but so do my coworkers, LOL. Let me assure you, though, I am not a serial killer.


Can we talk about the center part trend (that somehow is still trending)? This is not a look that has ever worked for me. I have cowlicks in all sorts of awkward places, not to mention a long, narrow face that needs "widening." The closest I can do a "center part" is to have it slightly off-center, and then it needs to be angled and not totally straight down the middle. I tried this look, one day last week, and it actually looked -dare I say- kind of stylish. That was for the first couple hours, though. Once my hair started doing its usual flattening/drooping thing, this "stylish" center part 'do had all the glamour of Morticia Addams. So, another big No Thanks to that.


Another thing I'd tell you about is our new grand-doggy, Zeus. We were pleasantly surprised how welcoming Max was to him when he visited us for Thanksgiving. Zeus did well, in our house, the three days he stayed with us. However, somehow, he slipped out when I was coming back in (from being outside) and we didn't realize he was missing for a good 20 minutes or so. Let's just say, I had my first experience of lost-dog-panic. After what seemed like hours of driving through our neighborhood (it actually was more like 10-15 minutes), I spotted him, several yards over, across the street. I stopped the car, got out, and tried to (unsuccessfully) call him over. He took off running, so I followed him. He halted, and I caught up to him...only to have him sprint away again. I was able to chase him down an alley, and out to the street that merges into our driveway. The youngest daughter was still outside, in our yard, so she was able to corral him and get him back in the house. Whew! Then I had to retrieve my car, which was still running, where I'd left it. And, dear little Zeus, in the short while he was exploring, had rolled around in some undesirable "stuff," so he also got to have his first bath in our house. It's a good thing he's such a sweetheart!


Finally, if we were chatting over coffee, I'd tell you how November played out for me. Obviously, biking dominated! What can I say...it not only makes a great workout (can you say resistance? endurance? speed?), but it also serves me quite well as a recovery vice. Walking continues to be hit or  miss, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. And, running is pretty much where it usually is for me. Totaling up my 2021 mileage, my running miles were at 852 as of November 30th. Even with the few extra random streaking miles I'll be logging this month, I still won't break the 1,000 mark. Had I not been in recovery from a stress fracture, earlier in the year, my January and February miles (50 and 59 respectively) would have been higher. But, ask me if I care. I've never chased the 1K mark, and have only surpassed it once (or maybe twice?). The sun continues to rise each morning and I can still call myself a runner, LOL. 


So, there you have it. A few things to share over coffee (BTW, I'm already needing a refill on my chai).

Your turn...what would you want to share, if we were having coffee and conversation? Ever chased a lost dog (yours or someone else's)? Have you tried (or, maybe you're rocking) a center part? How was your fitness for November?

 Since it's the first weekend of the month, I'm linking this with Deborah and Coco for the Ultimate Coffee Date.



I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.



By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

30 comments:

  1. Just sent that coffee meme to one of my best friends.

    I don't drink coffee very often and thought this was HILARIOUS!

    Love your attitude about the mileage totals. Hitting 1000 km wouldn't make life that much sweeter and richer and pursuing it relentlessly would likely be a net negative. Love the perspective and, as always, your exercise routines are inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Zeus took full advantage of his freedom! Glad you were able to find him and that he was relatively ok.

    I had no idea about the center part. I guess I'm just not very trendy, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're not missing out on anything with (or without) the center part...not a flattering look on many, LOL. Yeah, Zeus...he's got some speed!

      Delete
  3. Oh, gosh, I remember chasing after our beagle when she would get away. They love to taunt you by stopping just out of reach and dashing off as you lunge for them. I’m glad he was retrieved safely — even if he did need a bath!

    Thanks for joining in for coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what Zeus did...taunting me with stopping just out of my reach before sprinting away. He really seemed to enjoy his bath, though ;-)

      Delete
  4. I have tried the center part and it just doesn't work on me either for some reason. I say go for it if you want to wear your Christmas socks! That was a funny coffee meme :) Nicely done this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I look back on so many of my grade school pics (center parts...UGH!) and just want to cringe, LOL Definitely not a flattering look for some of us.

      Delete
  5. I don't drink coffee but I like the meme.
    No dogs at home but I remember chasing the cat on the road many times.
    A very high mileage despite the fracture, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chasing the pets is a challenge! We haven't had to chase our Max much, so this was a new ball game for me. Scary!

      Delete
  6. That coffee meme is hilarious, and so perfect for you- you're always talking about how running is your coffee, ha ha.
    I totally agree on the Christmas attire! I was wearing something Christmas-y on Tuesday (November 30th) and my sister scolded me, "it's still November!" Sheesh.
    Funny story about Zeus. You got some speedwork in that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? When I saw the coffee meme, I thought it was some kind of joke, LOL!

      Delete
  7. I’ve never been a big fan of a center part either.

    Glad you were able to corral Zeus! The one time Bandit got away from Mr. Judy (not long after we got him), Mr. Judy dejectedly walked back home when he couldn’t find him, there he was, sitting by the fence. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zeus is so fast, our daughter said she puts him on the leash even for taking him out in their fenced-in back yard. She's so paranoid he'll find a way to escape. I honestly don't know how he slipped through the narrow gap in the door as I was coming inside...

      Delete
  8. I had t laugh. I got my hair cut yesterday and she parted it in the center. Nope. it doesn't work.

    Love running in the morning as long as I don't have to go to work. That means only on holidays and weekends.

    It's been cold and then yesterday 50!??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our temps are due to return to "normal" after the weekend...what a buzzkill!

      Delete
  9. Awwe poor Zeus! He sounds like he had quite the adventure that day. So glad you spotted him and that you were able to get him back home.

    I can do either a center part or side part but I mainly just brush it all back in a ponytail, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, little Zeus had quite an expedition! I'd loved to have followed him to see exactly where all he went!

      Delete
  10. Non-coffee drinkers are nice people. I should know, I married one of them;-)

    I have a neighbor with two small dogs that are very good at getting out of his house. I just have to smile when I see them out roaming. If I'm by myself I'll knock on his door and tell him that his dogs are out, and if my dog is with me then it's even easier since the little dogs will follow her with me to the door.

    No can do on the center part. It just looks really strange on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The center part seems to not be a favorite among a bunch of us, LOL.

      Delete
  11. Zeus definitely gave you a run for your money didn't he? So glad you found him safe and sound.

    Yeah I'm definitely a big no on the center part - not at all a good look on me.

    That coffee meme is priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coffee meme almost made me falloff my chair when I saw it...totally kind of eerie!

      Delete
  12. I had a dog that would get out and was brought home by the mailman a few times. She ended up at the pound overnight once and never did it again after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the poor thing! I'm sure the pound was not a fun ordeal...glad it hasn't happened since ;-)

      Delete
  13. aren't the holiday "rules" we make for ourselves weird. I usually put Christmas music on the iPod after Thanksgiving, but somehow in the stores it felt weird.
    Glad Zeus made it home OK-tied in well with your other point about mileage. LOL.
    This will be my one and only year near 1K miles. It was fun, but is definitely not a regular goal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just cannot get on board with a mileage goal (no matter the quantity). For me, running loses a lot of its fun when it turns into an 'obligation" (of sorts) like that. Others, though, thrive on such goals...and that's great if it keeps them happy ;-)

      Delete
  14. The meme is hilarious!! I like the center part and "think" it looks OK on me. Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The center part may, indeed, be a good look for you...it's just ghastly on me, LOL

      Delete
  15. Glad to hear you're not a serial killer! LOL!
    Also really happy you found Zeus and so quickly! My dog Coco (he passed away a couple of months ago at the grand old age of 17) had a very adventurous streak in his youth. He disappeared on me on the eve of my wedding. My bridesmaids were staying with me and in all the excitement of people coming in and out of the house, he escaped. One of the girls and I spent hours driving around the neighbourhood looking for him to no avail. Was heartbroken that night. But when we got up in the morning, there Coco was - sitting outside the gate! I could get married with a happy heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was his first time visiting us, so he had never even gone for a walk through the neighborhood (just our backyard, on a leash), so I had no idea where he could have gone. I was very lucky to find him as quickly as I did, though it felt like hours...

      Delete