Thursday, March 31, 2022

A Time for Chai and Chatter


Have you heard? 

Winter staged an ugly (IMO) return this past week. And, it was a most unwelcome return, at that. 

Needless to say, the chai latte's have been on repeat in an effort to stay warm. You know, this would be a fabulous time to gather over said chai latte's (or the warmest beverage of your choosing) and chat about life, fitness and the latest happenings.

Are you game? Got your steaming mug in hand? Let's go...

If we were chatting, I'd start with my March stats. I realize these numbers don't mean anything to anyone else (truly, that's okay), but they're a means of accountability for me.  The running and biking miles were legit (that is, they were where they "usually" would be for myself). Walking - again - took a nosedive, though. Let's just say the temps weren't ideal, and I had a dog recovering from surgery (who could not be left unattended) for the past three weeks. Sigh.


If we were chatting, I'd tell you about the "winter-dressing amnesia" thing I have going on. I've been running for upwards of 17 years now, and most of that has been outdoors, year-round. Somehow, getting a few beautiful days of spring (and summer-like) temps throws my mind and body out of whack. Suddenly, those balmy 40-degree temps of winter aren't so balmy, and the wind feels especially harsh and evil. I find myself dressing too warm, or not warm enough, for my runs and walks. I've already forgotten how to outsmart the wind, and am constantly playing the Gloves-On/Gloves-Off Game whilst pounding the frozen pavement. I just wish Momma N and Old Man Winter would honor the calendar and take their party elsewhere.


If we were chatting,  I'd tell you a bit about last weekend's run with Milly. I took it to the treadmill because those recent "winter rewind" temps (and windy conditions) were simply outrageous. As the middle "leg" of my Pseudo Du (a bike/run/bike endeavor), I did a Peloton run (with Matty) on the 'mill. Are you ready for this? This treadmill run wasn't too bad! In fact, it was almost bordering on enjoyable. Of course, it was only for 30 minutes, and Matty's lively chatter (along with Donna Summer's music and trivia) kept me well entertained, but still. I definitely didn't see that coming, LOL. Don't worry, I don't plan on making Peloton treadmill runs a regular thing...but this one, in particular, made for a decent change in routine.


If we were chatting, I'd tell you about the upcoming Honor Flight my father and I get to experience! He and a friend were scheduled to go on an Honor Flight, two years ago...but Covid intervened and all such flights were indefinitely postponed. His friend isn't able to go this time (April 19th), so my father invited me to be his guest. It's going to be a long day, but a fun day of adventure!


Lastly, if we were chatting, I'd tell you about the Fight for Air Climb. This event, affiliated with the American Lung Association, is very near and dear to me, as I know several people who struggle with asthma, or fighting lung disease, or have successfully quit smoking. In the past, the event has taken place indoors, with the participants climbing numerous flights of stairs. In 2020, it had to go virtual (again, #Covid), but last year they were able to move the event outdoors, to Principal Park (a baseball stadium in downtown Des Moines). This will be my ninth time climbing, and I'm just excited as when I did my first Climb (in 2013). If you're interested in donating to the cause, my fundraising page is HERE. Ironically, I also have the Des Moines Women's 10K the next morning, so it will be a busy weekend of fitness and fun. Go big or go home!


Whew! That's enough about me!

Your turn...
What would you share if we were chatting? Would you be drinking something hot or cold? Has the weather been temperamental in your area, too?

 Since it's the first weekend of the month, I'm linking this with Deborah and Coco for the Ultimate Coffee Date.

I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

26 comments:

  1. I had one run where I was overdressed, but mostly I'm pretty close to on the money. Unless I'm not & then I suffer!

    Using Peloton for treadmill runs is the main reason I keep it! Obviously I do use it for other things, but not as much as many here.

    My Dad's Honor Flight was definitely one of the highlights of his life. Family wasn't allowed at all (this is pre-Pandemic), but that has changed since. They assigned a young officer to him, and they did keep in touch, too.

    It's going to be such a special day for you both. Can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a very sentimental gal, and very patriotic. I expect it will be a very emotional day, but in a good way ;-)

      Delete
  2. Going on the honor flight with your dad will be the experience of a lifetime!!! Looking forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from the replies, I might have to do a Honor Flight recap ;-)

      Delete
  3. If we were having coffee, I'd ask you to tell me more about what an Honor Flight is (please excuse my ignorance!)
    We've had a cooler Autumn/Fall than usual but I'm not complaining. I love this time of year for us when its not too hot but still very warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back and added a hyper link to the Honor Flight site. Basically, it's a way to honor veterans (those who have served in the military during times of war) with a free trip to our nation's capitol to see all of the monuments and sights.

      Delete
  4. Oh, very cool on the Honor Flight! I’ve been at DCA when honor flights have come in, and it’s so moving!

    LOL on the treadmill run. The right Peloton instructor can make anything fun. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect the Honor Flight will be a very emotional experience, for everyone involved. I was really surprised how fast the treadmill run went with Matty!

      Delete
  5. Your honor flight with your dad sounds like a once in a lifetime experience! I cannot wait to hear about it. So glad to see you climb for life back on the schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for both the Flight and the Climb! Lots of good things to look forward to ;-)

      Delete
  6. I don't know what an honor flight is either, so I'll be interested to hear all about it!
    That 10k the day after your Fight For Air climb should be interesting- I guess you won't be gunning for a PR. It will be quite a weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back and added a hyper link to the Honor Flight site ;-) The 10K will be an interesting experience following the Climb...but I'm not missing the Climb for anything ;-)

      Delete
  7. Awww how cool you get to accompany your dad on the Honor Flight! Yeah mom nature was a total biotch this week and I'm having the same issues deciding what to wear. It seems SO cold! Matty's DS run is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder about the DS run with Matty! Since I've done only a couple Pelo runs, I don't pay any attention to those workouts. He really made the 'mill worthwhile, LOL!

      Delete
  8. It is rainy today - so hot coffee - Starbucks!! I had to go into the office.

    Me too. I seem to be overdressed because it's cold one day and warm the next. Can't wait until summer... much simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Shathiso - I don't know what an Honour Flight is! I imagine that your Dad and his guest (you) are invited to a flight? From where to where?

    I'm with you with the Chai Lattes. I love the stuff. In Switzerland, they're made with sirup, but here in South Africa, they're made with powder. I much prefer the powder version and I'm buying it in bulk. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a hyper link to the Honor Flight site ;-) It's a way they honor veterans who have served in the military (during times of war) by flying them to Washington DC (our nation's capitol) to see the monuments and historical sights. I prefer the powder, too, for chai! I know it's kind of a foo-foo drink, but I don't care ;-)

      Delete
    2. Ah yes! Thanks for the link, Kim! That was very useful and an interesting read.

      Delete
  10. Makes me smile to see you enjoyed your treadmill run with Matty! I love him! That is awesome about the honor flight with your dad. I am sure it will be a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Kim I love that you'll be accompanying your dad on his honor flight! What a special experience!

    I did that Matty run too - the only way to get through time on the mill LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matty definitely made those 30 minutes go fast (not that I want to do it again any time soon, LOL)!

      Delete
  12. Yay for Peloton for making a treadmill run enjoyable! I only tried one treadmill class back when I had it and I just didn't understand what the instructor (not Matty) was asking me to do. And yay for the return of the air flight climb. I always enjoy hearing about it. Mad props for doing the 10k the day after...that's going to be quite a weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried doing a couple of walks (and maybe a couple of other runs), and they're just not my gig. This run was much better than anticipated, though. A lot of the cycling classes call for a bit of improv, on my part, since I'm not using a true Peloton bike...but they're doable, none the less.

      Delete
  13. A chai latte definitely sounds tasty right now! I'm perpetually cold even though I live in California (I think I was meant for more tropical weather, hahaha). I hope you get warmer weather soon!

    I hope you had fun on the Honor Flight!!

    ReplyDelete