Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Shamrock Shuffle Race Recap


Sometimes, on race day, the stars, moons and planets (and any extra powers that be) will all align.

And, sometimes they don't.

The weather may be undesirable. The course may be unexpectedly tough. Your body may feel fatigued or your energy level is in the negative. Or, all of these factors could show up at the start line, give your mojo a run for its money, and wreak havoc on your race.  

Such was the case for me on my most recent race day. 

The race was the Shamrock Shuffle; the day was this past Saturday.


Let me start with runfessing that this was a rather spontaneous race (hey, I'm a sucker for a St. Patrick's Day-themed race). I only just registered a couple weeks ago, and while I have a solid base, I definitely have not done any "fast" running or training. Normally, that's a non-issue. For this race, though, a little bit of speedwork may have been beneficial in setting my mind right (more on that in a bit).


With a start time of 8:30, Allison and I departed around 6:45. We arrived in Iowa City about an hour later, giving us ample time to get our race bibs, hit the portapotty, and do a short 1.5ish-mile warm-up run. We had ample sunshine, but Holy Bum Freezer, it was a cold and windy morning.


This was a new-to-us race, so while that adds to the excitement, it also adds an element of apprehension. The race course took place in Scott Park (and surrounding neighborhood), and participants had the option of a 3.17K (just under two miles) or a 6.34K (just under four miles). Basically, it was similar to a figure-8 layout, with the option to run it once or twice.

image from Corridor Running

After a beautiful acapella rendition of the National Anthem, sung by one of the registered runners, we were off and on our way. Well, after a couple seconds of "fat-gloved-finger-fumbling" with my watch, I was off and running with the rest of the runners. 

image from Corridor Running

I am no stranger to running in the extreme cold. I know how to layer (usually) and I know how tricky the wind can be...it feels bone-chilling in your face, but (often times) it's barely noticeable when it's at your back. But, for some reason, my 16 years of Iowa winter running were not working in my favor on this particular morning. 

The first part of the route had the wind behind us, giving me a false sense of security in my pace. Even though the terrain had us on a slight incline, that tailwind made the first 1/2-mile feel deceptively easy (though it kept blowing my left ponytail across my mouth).  Also, the puffer vest was feeling a bit much in terms of warmth and bulk. Shortly after the 1-mile mark, though, we turned left (heading north, and then due west), which threw the wind into our faces...and I was suddenly cold and hating life. 

Side note - for the past several days leading up to the race, I had been Pi Streaking (running 3.14 miles, everyday, as part of my annual Week of Pi Challenge). While I had not run any of those runs fast or hard (there had been four of them, prior to race day), I had not had any rest days. That was my own doing, and my legs were tired. The fact that this course was on an almost constant incline made for an unforeseen challenge in fighting gravity. There was a short reprieve (near the 1.75-mile mark), where we had a sharp descent...but it was over almost as fast as it began, LOL.

A short while later, we were back to where we'd started. Some runners veered off path (those who were finishing the 3.17K), while the rest of us continued on for our second loop.

 My struggles continued through the second loop, both physically and mentally. Yes, I was still feeling bulky in the puffer vest, and still fighting the wayward ponytail. I think we've all been there...it can be really tough to keep your head in the game on a good day, but it's especially challenging on a cold and windy day, on a (somewhat) hilly course. I was feeling pretty defeated, though I didn't want to quit...but I did wave the white flag and walked a couple times.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, I crossed the timing mat for the second (and final) time. And, let me just say, I felt quite relieved to be finished!


How did I fare?

I was surprised to see that I'd placed first (out of two, LOL) in my age bracket. My pace surprised me, too, considering I took those walk breaks and the wind made me feel like I was moving in slow-motion.

Stats:
overall - 33rd out of 60
females - 12th out of 33
age group - 1st of two (10-year age brackets)
Official time - 35:23; pace 8:59

Now, in all fairness, my struggles on this particular day (under those particular conditions) had nothing to do with the event itself. There were numerous volunteers on the course, and everything seemed well-organized. Running two loops of a race course is not ideal, but I've done it before without  consequence. Running two loops, on a wickedly cold day with an evil wind at play, is a buzzkill no matter how you slice it. Add in my already fatigued body, and it was a (possible) recipe for disaster. I'm just thankful we had ample sunshine and no precipitation to worry about. Had the weather been better, I think this race would have been much more desirable.

For swag, participants received a glass pint, with the Shamrock Shuffle logo. Personally, I don't need any more shirts, so the glass pint is perfect! I have not heard if I got anything for my age group win (we left before the awards presentation), and I'm not losing any sleep over it. They also had some door prizes they were giving away.
 

Anyways, that's my story. I've had some good races, and I've had some great ones. And, every now and then, a tough one filters in. Oh well, I'm grateful for the sport of running, and all it has brought to me: fitness, friends, and fun (most days).


Have you ever run a race that felt much harder than it should have? What are the coldest temps you've faced on race day? Any St. Patrick's Day races you've done?

  I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up


By the way...are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

30 comments:

  1. Well done, Kim, despite all the struggles!
    Yes, I've definitely had races like that where everything felt off right from the start, and it only got worse from there. It's a good thing we have fun races that make up for the bad ones!
    Love your outfit and the sunny photos with blue skies!

    Do you know why the distance is so odd? It's not even miles or even kilometres - is there a background story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even our warm-up run felt off, so it's no surprise this (almost) entire race was a struggle. And the fact that I'm done with winter weather was huge, LOL. Not sure on the significance of the distance. This was a new location, and I heard the previous location (downtown) was similar (two miles and four miles).

      Delete
  2. Well done, though, all the same, and your outfit is outstanding! I hate that wind-behind-you / pony-tail-in-face thing. Even now I have a bob, strands escape and plaster themselves onto my face: argh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the pony tail was really annoying! I probably should have layered my buff over the pony tails, but didn't want to try to deal with that while running...so I just tried to ignore (unsuccessfully) how irritating it was.

      Delete
  3. If only we have ideal weather. I know the feeling.

    I just embraced it and had fun.

    I think you did great... it's way faster than most runners on a good day.

    I have a few St Patrick's day races . I think I'm skipping next week's but running a 5 miler on Mach 27.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had similar experiences this past weekend, though I think yours may have been worse with all the snow and sleet.

      Delete
  4. Now that we've had some decent weather I feel like I've lost my "cold" conditioning and cold feels really cold and wind feels really windy. I've done a race in the low 20's but I don't think I'd be up for 12 degrees...just yikes! But that which does not kill us makes us stronger or something like that. I am a sucker for a St Patty's Day race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nuts how quickly our cold weather acclimation wears off once we get a dose of warm temps. I was SOOO cold!

      Delete
  5. Sorry that the race wasn't too enjoyable for you. It seems like the weather this past weekend was either brutally cold or snowy, or both, in various places in the country. On the plus side, I love that you could rely on your mental toughness to get through the race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful I have a good grit reservoir to draw upon during tough races (or runs) like this. UGH. I was a mess with all kinds of self talk (arguments, LOL) to keep me going.

      Delete
  6. my last few races have had weather challenges. You just never know. I figure that is part of the challenge and at least everyone has the same challenge. Having said that, I am not sure I would have gotten up to run that race in those temps! Congrats to you for pulling out a speedy AG win in those temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell myself that all the time..."at least everyone else is facing the same weather on race day." In retrospect, I never regret pushing through and finishing what I start, but there definitely are some tough moments with my self talk.

      Delete
  7. Way to get it done! I am not good in those conditions so I probably would have struggled so much. Even with the wind and the cold, you managed to get a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My finish time, though compromised due to the conditions, really surprised me. With all the walking, I thought I would have had a much slower average pace. It's so hard to gauge how fast (or slow) you're actually going when fighting the wind and the hills.

      Delete
  8. I did a St Patricks day race in 2018 and it was so cold! I expected it to be warmer but you never know what you will get in March. I love that glass! I actually think I got a pint glass when I did a St Patricks Day race too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done another race many times (the Leprechaun Chase), and we always got glass pints from those, too. Ironic? LOL

      Delete
  9. Great job, Kim! A windy race is no fun but you did it. I also prefer a glass glass than a shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a nice collection of these glass pints! Another race, the Leprechaun Chase, always gave out glass pints, too ;-)

      Delete
  10. Well first of all, your outfit was awesome! We've all had those races- they can't all be great- but your overall pace was very good especially since you took some walk breaks! You must have been running fast while you felt good. And yes- I wish more races would give out pint glasses! Much better than a shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I really don't want any more race shirts! I like some of the 1/4-zips, which seem to still be trending, but I have more than I really need of those, too.

      Delete
  11. Holy bum freezer. LOL. I'd have many cold frozen ones if not for the skirt Deborah gave me. The one thing I don't miss about longer hair is eating my pony tail. Makes for some fun photos though. Congrats on solid and age group despite the tired legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cari! This race just was one of those that felt tough from the start line. The pony tail just added to my growing list of frustrations, LOL.

      Delete
  12. I was going to volunteer at our local Shamrock Shuffle tonight, but since I'm not feeling great I'm glad I didn't sign up for a job. It's windy, chilly, and supposed to rain tonight! Hopefully the runners will still have a good time though. Sounds like a tough race! Well done though, a very decent pace even without walk breaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week end's weather was a doozy, but it warmed up considerably on Sunday. Isn't that always the way? ;-)

      Delete
  13. Well done! Sounds like a tough race, so kudos for finishing it.
    Also, let's discuss those pants. Your seasonal attire is always pure delight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks!! I love embracing the holidays and dressing appropriately for them ;-)

      Delete
  14. I'm catching up! First off, you deserve congrats for just showing up AND choosing the longer distance! Not all of us would have. Although I have never DNS'd yet, but there would be some deal breakers.

    You know what? Even with the best conditions you can still have a horrible race. I'm sorry it was a tough one, but as they say, it just makes you tougher, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true! I've had plenty of races with perfect conditions (temps, course, training, etc.) only to have things go downhill without any rhyme or reason. I guess these tough races are easier to face when the conditions AREN'T great, right?

      Delete
  15. I don't think I have ever commented on your blog, but had to on this one. I used to live in a neighborhood near Scott Park (east on Court St., in one of the many condo developments that have sprung up like mushrooms in that area...). I had to laugh when I looked at your race map and then read your recap. I knew *exactly* where you were when you talked about the steep downhill! I ran up that in my first run in Iowa City nearly 20 years ago. Thanks for the memories - and I'm sorry the weather did not treat you better. Maybe next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Iowa City! I went to college there, and lived there for a few years after graduating, but ((sadly)) I wasn't a runner back in those days. I'm trying to make a better effort to run/race there more often...heck, if I can make it there for Hawkeye football games, I ought to get there for other things as well ;-)

      Delete