Thursday, March 3, 2022

A Wee Little Coffee Chat


As luck would have it, the first weekend of the month is upon us (and so is a fun little Irish-themed holiday, in a couple of weeks).

We all know what that means, right? The Ultimate Coffee Date is on the roster for many of us...a chance to gather, virtually, over a warm beverage of choice, and have some chatter. We can talk running and fitness, or whatever we so choose.

What's there to chat about this month? 

I'm so glad you asked...

Allow me to begin by mentioning the weather. I'll never brag about the consistently inconsistent weather of Iowa, because it's been all over the place. February was especially cold (no surprise there), but Momma N threw in a few days of warm-for-winter weather to give us hope (perhaps?). Then, we turned the calendar to March, and she treated us to a fast-forward to Spring experience. She's played this game before, so I know it's not going to last, but I sincerely hope the worst is behind us.

7-Day Forecast for Central Iowa, ending on March 4, 2022

With this week's warmer weather, I was able to finally wear my Key West shirt! Quite possibly a #FirstWorldProb (at least in my little world of fitness), but I'd been waiting for almost an entire month for the perfect opportunity to break it in. Wednesday's 61F after-work temps were too perfect...so I layered the (long-sleeved) shirt over a tank, and even wore shorts for the first time in 2022 (in Iowa, that is). A small victory, but a fun one!


Next, I'd share my February fitness stats. I'm not one to play the comparison game, with others nor with myself. But, I am happy to see my numbers are bigger, this year, compared to those from a year ago. Keep in mind, a year ago I still was keeping my on-foot activity pretty conservative (remember that stress fracture from a few months prior), so February 2022's running and walking mileage upswing was expected. The biking, though, showed a significant increase (from 160 to 268). That trend has  continued, from last year, as I have been incorporating more biking into my regimen; not only for cardio and leg strength, but also for recovery on my non-running days. No regrets!


Speaking of biking, my January totals were strong (142 miles), but they were not acknowledged by Peloton. In other words, I didn't take many Pelo cycling classes, while in Florida, because I didn't need to, LOL. For those who aren't "on Peloton," we get a monthly progress report, which itemizes all the activity (classes taken, daily streaks of continuous activity, etc.)...and my January report showed my cycling was markedly down from the previous month (December). Oh well. Of January's 142 biking miles, a measly 22 were via Pelo classes (taken after we'd returned, in the final two days of the month)...and February's 268 is just about doubled that. I guess I'm back "on track" with my Pelo biking (by default since it's too cold and treacherous to do any outdoor biking right now). But, guess what? Once the weather gets significantly warmer, those Pelo miles are going to take another nose dive, LOL.


Lastly, the third annual Week of Pi Challenge begins on Tuesday! Obviously not everyone's cup of tea (or piece of pie, LOL), this is a yearly challenge I take on in celebration of my Pi Day birthday (March 14th). Simply put, I run 3.14 miles every day, for seven days, ending on March 14th (2021's recap is HERE, and 2020's is HERE). Last year, a lot of friends joined me...some ran the entire week, some ran just a few of the days, and some just ran the 3.14 miles for the grand finale. I think a few peeps even walked the distance. You can follow along with the #WeekOfPi hashtag (on Instagram) whether you take part in the fun or not. 


Well, I've chatted long enough. Your turn...

What would you share, if we were clustered around a table, mugs in hand.? Has Spring sprung in your area yet? Any upcoming events? Care to Pi with me next week? 

 Since it's the first weekend of the month, I'm linking this with Deborah and Coco for the Ultimate Coffee Date.


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

28 comments:

  1. Yep, the weather is sure crazy in the Midwest, isn't it? We are on a roller coaster for sure! But I do like the warm days and it gives me hope that spring is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that the Key West shirt got to go for a run because it's a beaut. I'm definitely going to crash your pi party again this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot!!!! I'd be most honored to have you crash my Pi party ;-)

      Delete
  3. It's presently in the single digits. So nope to Spring yet. Supposed to be 60 by Sunday -- but rainy (of course). Still it should melt most of the snow, maybe even all of it, so that's good.

    That race tee is definitely bright! Glad you got to wear it finally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of our snow is gone (except for a few spots that don't get any sunlight). I'm just anxiously awaiting the muddy grass to "dry out" a bit more, because Max LOVES getting all messy.

      Delete
  4. We haven't been quite as warm as you this week but they're saying high 60s for Saturday and I am all over that! Love the Key West shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we have rain in Saturday's forecast, but the time of day keeps changing. We still have all.the.wind. Oh joy!

      Delete
  5. I know how you feel about being able to wear that shirt. Some seasons it seems like it never was the right temperature for certain gear. I have a short sleeve cycling jersey my husb got me for V-Day LAST year I never wore because I had stashed it in the wrong drawer!

    Thanks for the reminder on Pi Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Key West shirt, but the long sleeves can be a bit tricky!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, the week of Pi is almost here! I won't run every day, but I'll do some 3.14 mile runs with you. I remember last year I also did a couple other things, including holding a plank for three minutes fourteen seconds- I won't be repeating that insanity. Glad you're enjoying some spring-like weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh...maybe I should add 3:14 planks to my daily Pi routine (???). Thanks for the inspiration ;-)

      Delete
  7. we have some crazy warm days here this week. Rumor has it we will see 70 this weekend. Crazy! I am happy to see my running mileage up this year as well. I can't commit to the daily 3.14 but I can do it on your actual bday! Fun yearly tradition you have

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd love for you to Pi with me on my special day ;-)

      Delete
  8. what Judy said.

    I'll run 3.14 on 3 days not 7. LOL enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darlene ;-) I'm just flattered how many peeps are joining me, regardless of how many days <3

      Delete
  9. Awesome February stats, but I expect nothing less from you :)

    The weather really makes me laugh - it's just so unpredictable. This morning it was 19 degrees when I drove to OTF and Sunday it's supposed to be 66 degrees, lo,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have thunderstorms in tomorrow's forecast...and I just heard there's a chance of tornadoes (?!?!?!?!?!?!?). I'm glad Barb and I squeezed in our "Saturday run" after work today instead of waiting until tomorrow...

      Delete
  10. I've given up trying to figure out Mother N is trying to do...the plan now is to just wait her out LOL

    That Key West shirt is fabulous!

    I'm definitely up for your Pi Party again - you know I'm not normally a streaker but I'm game for 4 days of running, especially on your special day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the 2022 Pi experience, and am honored to have you along for the party again this year ;-)

      Delete
  11. I cannot wait to run in shorts again! I love wearing that with a shirt. I will join you for a Pi Run. Hopefully I can do it on the 14th too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's "cold" here but for the rest of the country, this is probably really warm. It'll likely be in the 70's again later next week though, so the weather's been all over the place lately.

    I'd join in on the "Week of Pi" if I ran! I hope you have fun with it! :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll Pi with you! I'll be walking for one more week, so I hope you accept my miles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking is great! BTW, if you're limited on time, 3.14 kilometers is equal to 1.95 miles (and those would count as well) ;-)

      Delete
  14. ooh I didn't know there was a monthly Peloton recap. I need to look at mine, but I am Captain Inconsistent so it's probably laughing with me.
    I'm Pi'ing with you. Love celebrating your bday with you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I assumed we'd be getting a monthly recap each month. I got one for February (shaming my biking miles, LOL), but I have not see one for March, with my February stats (???).

      Delete