Monday, April 17, 2023

Welcome to My Day


How about a peek into a typical day in the life of me?

I work outside the home, which dictates an early start to most of my days. Lucky for me, I'm an early bird (and I'm also a night owl, LOL). I'm grateful to be a high-energy gal since I don't have coffee in my arsenal (nope, not a coffee-drinker).

Anyways, here's a glimpse of what goes on in my little world of work, fitness and fun...

Rise, Shine, and Sweat!
Pretty much every day begins with some sort of a fitness fix (more often than not, it's a fasted-cardio endeavor). I have my alarm set for 5:30, but I'm usually awake before then. If it's a #5at5 day, I'll be rising and shining around 4:30 and out the door at 5:00. 



Side note: I'm not just a runner, though. I'm also an avid cyclist, walker, stair-climber and strength enthusiast. Weather permitting, I try to do these workouts outdoors in the warmer months. I'd say most of these early morning antics are 45-60 minutes in length. I really strive to be done by 6:30 or shortly after. Sometimes, I allow a few minutes of computer time (blogging), or do some social media scrolling (or daily posting) during my cool-down. 

I try to hit the shower no later than 7:00 (especially if it's a #hairwash day). I am pretty creative with my "unwashed" hair, though. Having longish hair allows for a lot of versatility: messy buns, straightening, beachy waves, or  ponytails (up high, down low, or on the side). I also have numerous options with my fringe of "long" bangs: down, side-swept, or secured in-place, off of my face. 

 
Get to work!
My typical work day begins around 8:00. I have emails to answer and manage (both for myself and the estimating team), as well as various office manager duties. Although you could call it a desk job, I am on my feet much of the time. I once made an effort to carry my phone with me all day, before I had my Garmin, and it tracked almost 2-1/2 miles of "desk job" walking, LOL.

Breakfast is served!
As I mentioned, most of my early morning workouts are done in a fasted state. It's not until 9-9:30 that I start to feel hungry. My go-to breakfast, during the work week, is instant oatmeal at my desk (because it's quick and easy). I also have a stash of granola bars and trail mix, in case I need a snack.



Home for lunch!
Most days I head home for my lunch hour (it's about a 7-minute drive if I hit all the green lights). During the warmer months, I sometimes take Max for a short walk, then walk a bit further on my own (after dropping him back at the house). During my winter run streak, I often do a quick run (one or two miles).



My afternoons at the office are very similar to my mornings (except there's no breakfast, LOL). I'm usually done for the day anywhere between 4-5:00. 

After I get home, I love going for a walk (or a bike ride, in the summer) as a means to wind-down from the day. What can I say? I love being on the move and I LOVE being outdoors.



We don't have a specific dinner schedule, so the evening meal can happen anytime between 6-7:30. After dinner is prime blogging time for me (unless it's basketball season, in which case I'll probably be camping on the couch watching the Iowa Hawkeyes or the MSU Spartans).

Bedtime for me is seldom ever before 11:00, even on the #5at5 days. More often than not, I'm lucky to hit the hay before midnight. Most evenings, I try to do a bit of a pre-lights-out stretch, foam roll or trigger-point massage to relax my muscles (and my mind).


So, that's a quick synopsis of a typical day. Of course, there are days when I may allow a sleep-in of sorts, and have to postpone the morning workout until evening. And, there are days when my energy is epic, so I'll do a bonus workout (or two) after work or after dinner. A fine example are the (summer)  days that start with a #5at5 run and end with a hilly bike path 15-miler. 

Notes:
***If it's a weekend day, and I have a long run on the schedule (anything over 70-80 minutes), I will eat something before heading out.
***If the weather allows, my work friends and I will try to take a 1-mile walk for our morning and afternoon breaks (10:30ish and 2:30ish).
***I drink a lot of water while at work. I've gotten in the habit of bringing my chai (or hazelnut cappuccino) to work with me in the morning, but I also refill my 20-oz tumbler at least once before lunch and twice in the afternoon.

Do you have a typical day, with a consistent schedule? Or do your days vary in terms of a workout schedule? If you work outside the home, does it get a bit tricky making time for exercise? 

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up

Are you following me on social media?
Let's connect Facebook Instagram  PinteresTwitter

12 comments:

  1. Ha! You are a very active athlete, Kim! The hair-washing and drying thing is very time-consuming for me, too. I always need to plan an extra 30-40 minutes for that.
    I just checked my average sleep over the past 7 days: it's over 9 hours. I think I would die of sleep deprivation if I had your schedule! It's cool when you don't need as much and still have a high energy level. You get a lot more done that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. My hair takes FOREVER to dry! I try to wash it every three days (sometimes four, LOL) to save on time. In the summer, though, I have to wash it a bit more frequently.

      Delete
  2. My days vary depending on if I’m working from home or going into the office. I rarely would be up by 5 without an alarm unless I was stressed about something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. My body just seems to wake up (most days) on its own, but I always set my alarm.

      Delete
  3. This was fascinating to read. What I like is that your "normal" life is exactly like your fitness life - very balanced and varied. You get a ton of stuff done!

    Back when I worked "outside the home" I had a few workplaces that were close enough that I could go home for lunch. It was a great perk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky to have such a short commute. I'd like to ride my bike more often, but I have to take some back roads, to avoid the traffic, and that adds to the length of time. And, in the summer heat, the helmet destroys my hair...so I'd have to bring a bunch of product with my (and a blow dryer) to primp before logging-on (yes, first world probs!).

      Delete
  4. My days do vary a lot... it depends if it's a weekday and if I'm working at home or not.

    If it's a weekday and i'm at home, I now go to the gym before work and run after work.

    Of course, it's much different when it's colder or warmer. My runs may have to switch to the morning and in the winter, it's too dark and I often can squeeze in a run at lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky to be an early-riser so I can get all my workouts done before heading to work.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I love "day in the life posts!" It's so fun to see how other people spend their days. My own days are complicated by kids... or, now it's just one kid. I have to get my daughter up, pack her lunch, and take her to school... so my schedule revolves around hers. Next year we will be on a VERY early schedule, because high school starts at 7:30 am (ack.) Anyway, what I'm getting from your post is that in four short years, my time will be my own. Something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A busy day for you! I am impressed that you go to bed late and still wake up early. I cannot handle it. :-)

    ReplyDelete