Thursday, April 27, 2023

An April 'Fession Session


And, here we are again.

Another month has flown by, at record speed, and it's time to come clean on a few things. You know, time to 'fess-up and clear the air. 

Shall we get this 'fession party started? 

Please allow me to begin...

First off, I need to RaceDayFess that I broke one of those unwritten cardinal rules of racing last weekend. Ahem, I wore the event swag to the event itself! What can I say? I am a bit of a superstitious person, but this new flannel-lined 1/4-zip was the perfect jacket for the cold and windy race day weather for the Drake Road Races Half Marathon. Plain and simple, I had an overwhelming urge to tempt fate and just go for it. I made it across the finish line with a shiny new Drake PR, so I'd say the odds were ever in my favor and fate be damned.


Speaking of race day "dos and don'ts," I NewShoeFess I didn't go with my tried and true Brooks Adrenalines. Instead, I wore my new Brooks Launch GTS-9's (#gasp!). I'd heard the Launch GTS is replacing the Ravenna, a model I've worn intermittently (recommended by a Brooks rep at the 2016 Route 66 expo). The Ravenna and the Launch GTS both are stability models, similar to the Adrenalines, but are designed more for speed as opposed to endurance. I'd worn the new Launches for several runs of differing distances (in the three weeks I've had them), including an 8-miler, and my feet loved them right out of the box. It was a bit of a gamble wearing them for 13.1 miles (I runfess I did get a small blister on one of my feet), but no regrets! I even ordered a second pair (the light grey ones, below) because they are so comfy and were also on sale.


It's no secret biking has become a big part of my fitness arsenal. I've been spinning and grinning in my basement, since late October, and have been nothing short of desperate to get back on the road, literally. Imagine my elation when there were a couple of semi-warm days (with minimal wind)! I RoadBikeFess, it felt so good to be back outside! I took Gustavas (the mountain bike) for a short 6-miler last week, and Krystal (the hybrid) got to go for a 12-mile ride after work, on Wednesday of this week. 


While we've had some beautiful, fresh spring weather, we've also had some days of winter-rewind temps. I FreezeFrostFess, enough is enough! For crying out loud, we'd been under a frost advisory since Saturday (it finally ended Wednesday). Thankfully, there wasn't any rain or snow...but hopefully, that's the last of it (fingers crossed).


Finally, oops, I did it again. I've been debating about registering for the Kewash Half Marathon for a few weeks. Since the Drake Half went so well, I decided another 13.1 miles was worth a try this weekend. I WeatherStalkerFess that I have been checking the forecast numerous times (on the daily) since I crossed the Drake finish line. Early in the week, it was showing rain on race day. Then light rain. Then cloudy skies. I finally registered Wednesday evening. Guess what? Thursday morning, the forecast was showing rain again, LOL. Currently, it looks like the rain has gotten pushed back to the afternoon...so, fingers crossed on that as well.


Whew, it feels good to have all those 'fessions done! My mind, body, and soles are at ease again.

Do you have any 'fessions to share? Any race day no-no's that you've committed? Ever stock-piled a new-to-you model of shoes? 

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

17 comments:

  1. I do love the Launches as well! They are so comfy and light.

    Good luck on your race this weekend! After my brutal race last weekend, there would be no way I could do another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This race course is advertised as "flat an fast," so hopefully that'll mean a less-challenging race than Drake last weekend. I have no intentions of pushing my pace, though. I know my body is still in recovery mode, and I have other races coming up. NO time for stupid injuries!

      Delete
  2. I hope you’re blessed with a dry race day!

    Our last freeze date is Mother’s Day. I feel lucky we really didn’t get snow this April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forecast has been improving throughout the day, so it's looking dry!

      Delete
  3. We're really not close to our last frost day yet so I'm taking the frosty mornings in stride. I feel bad for everyone who jumped the gun at the garden center during that 80 degree week! Have a great, hopefully rain-free race this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we'll probably still have some frosty morning, too...but five continuous days of them was a bit much.

      Delete
  4. I really need to get my bike out this season. I used to love cycling outdoors not sure what happened there! congrats again on your race looks like wearing the race swag worked in your favor this tinme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to be back outside on the bikes! I'm tired of the Sweat Den Down Under...

      Delete
  5. I wanted so much to love the Launch but sadly my feet did not - maybe I should try the GTS model.

    I can't believe you've been under a frost advisory. I hope the weather cooperates for your race this weekend. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the regular Launches are more neutral, but the GTS model has more support. I'm thankful to have another shoe option ;-)

      Delete
  6. Well, it's going to be 90 here this weekend so it's a little hard for me to imagine frost. But... if I cast my mind back, I can remember April in the midwest! Sounds about right.
    So another race this weekend! I hope the rain holds off, but I suspect you'll be prepared for anything, and happy to be out there running. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I know my endurance is in peak form...we'll just have to see if my legs are recovered enough.

      Delete
  7. The only thing better than a good half is to follow it up with another half! Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing this new-to-me trail race!

      Delete
  8. It worked so well, you should always wear the swag now.

    I have broken many Race no-nos. Where doo I start? New shoes, new fuel, etc.

    Good luck this weekend.... we have rain forecast here too and all next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have rain in the forecast in my town as well. This race is about 90 miles away, so the forecast is looking clear until the afternoon #FingersCrossed

      Delete
  9. Ooooh. I used to love the Ravenna. After my injury, the toe box was just a bit too tapered for me to feel comfortable, so i"m curious how the Launch GTS feel! As far as race no-no's, I've done new shoes and a new outfit. The shoes were a mistake lol.

    ReplyDelete