Saturday, April 8, 2023

Riding the Stride


Sometimes, it's in your best interest to just go with the flow and ride the stride.

Like, for example, the week following a crazy (and mucho stressful) week ... and this past week was a classic example of such. I'd spent the prior week tying up a bunch of loose ends, in prepping for my 4-day weekend (most of which was spent in DC). I'd had several continuous late nights (followed by early mornings). And, I'd run a 10-mile race. 

I have a lot of energy, typically, but my proverbial battery needed recharging...

Before I dis' on the deets, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Anyways, here's what went down this week, as I rode the stride of recovery:

Sunday's peak of activity: The Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10-Mile!
You can read the recap for the specifics, but in a nutshell, this race went very well for me. My pace stayed even, no "walls" were hit, and my finish time gave me a 3ish-minute course PR. In addition to the 10 miles from the race, I estimated there were probably a couple bonus miles on foot from all the walking before and after.
 

Never miss a Monday.
I arrived back in Iowa just after 12-noon, and was back home about 90 minutes later. I'd taken the day off from work, so that gave me some flexibility to get unpacked and regroup. I'm a huge believer in recovery runs, and my legs hadn't had much movement (other than another couple of miles of airport walking), so a late afternoon 2-mile run was just what my body, mind and soul needed.


Trepidation Tuesday...
My place of work has been in the process of re-branding, and April 1st was the official launch date of all things new. I was anticipating a hefty work load waiting for me, so I started the morning with Coach AT (Alex Toussaint, on Peloton), and his 30 minutes of HIIT on wheels definitely got the blood flowing (10 total miles in the saddle). As predicted, things were a (somewhat) hot mess at work, but I managed to get probably 90% caught up on all that I'd missed from being out for two days. Nonetheless, a 2-mile after-work walk was much needed for a wind-down.


A Whoops for Wednesday.
Did I mention how fatigued I'd been feeling? I woke up (to my alarm) and laid my head back on the pillow for a few minutes...and woke back up at 7:15. Major whoops. I had time for my daily 2:30 plank, hopped in the shower, and hustled off to the office. Another post-workday 2-mile walk was in order after I got home.
 

Later, I spent some time in the Sweat Den Down Under (my basement, LOL) and cued-up the morning's postponed workouts. I kept things low-impact with 30 minutes of Barre and some core work.


An action-packed Thankful Thursday.
As per usual, my Thursday started with a 5:00 (virtual) bike ride with Deb. After finishing 16 miles on the bike, I did a quick 20-minute session for my arms (spoiler: I was still feeling the DOMS on Saturday, just saying). Also, Max and I took a short 1/2-mile walk over lunch, I did another 2-mile walk after work (the weather was too beautiful to stay inside!), and a full moon run with Barb and Allison in the evening (see below). Whew!


Finally Friday.
It was another day of low-impact fitness. I started with a 6-mile bike ride in the early hours. I squeezed in a quick 1-mile walk over my lunch break. After work, Max and I went for a 1/2-mile walk around the block, then I did my own 2-mile walk. The weather was amazing!


Sensational Saturday.
The morning started out a bit cool. The 6:45AM temps were in the low-40F's (and breezy) when Barb and I met for our 5-mile run, but the sunshine was phenomenal. Afterwards, I hopped on the bike for a 10-mile leg "flush-out," then joined a live class (glutes) on Peloton. Mid-morning, Max took me for another 1/2-mile walk (he LOVES walking around the block). The temps had risen to the upper 60F's by early afternoon, which felt heavenly. It stayed warm and sunny all afternoon, so I got in another 2-mile walk before dinner.


...and what's happening on Sunday?
The weather is looking about the same as Saturday's, so I might opt for a sunrise walk and some indoor biking before I set up homestead in the kitchen (prepping for Easter dinner). Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get in some afternoon walking as well. I've waited for this kind of weather (and these kinds of temps) for a long time, so I plan to take full advantage!

Despite the daily action, this week was pretty easy-peasy. I knew low-impact cardio would serve me well, as the fatigue (from all the busyness of the previous week) finally caught up with me mid-week. My running mileage was 23, but 10 of those miles were from the Cherry Blossom race. Walking saw 16ish miles and biking only had 42. As for cross-training, I was able to fit in a good variety of Barre, upper-body strength and glutes work. I haven't mentioned it in awhile, but the daily planking and push-up streaks are still going strong! 

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:

in other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. As mentioned, Friday's weather was fantabulous. I opted for a fun top with the classic black and white color combo, but adding a punch of color never hurt no one.


Did you see the Pink Moon? Barb, Allison and I met at 8:00, thinking we'd see the moon shortly thereafter...but it was much later arriving on the scene. I'd planned on maybe 3-4 miles, but it wasn't until the fifth mile that the moon finally cleared the horizon. It was a beauty, though, and so worth the wait. I ended with six total miles for the night.


And, finally, it feels like spring is here to stay (knock on wood)! I spotted some crocus popping through the soil this week, and there are numerous tulips and daffodils with buds forming.


And, that's a wrap! It feels like I've had two weeks of low-maintenance activity with tapering for the Cherry Blossom (and recovering from it). Granted, I have not been sitting idle, but I've kept things pretty low-key (for me at least, LOL). Next up is the Drake Road Races Half Marathon on April  23rd in Des Moines. At this point, I just have some "mileage maintenance" until race day, so all is well.

How did your first week of April play out? Has your weather turned to spring, or does it still feel like winter? Any races on the horizon (or this weekend)?  

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

19 comments:

  1. I was fortunate to see the pink moon at night and in the morning when I headed out for my run on Friday. I do love when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught a glimpse of the moon, Wednesday night, when I was getting ready for bed, and saw it Friday & Saturday morning as well. It's nice that it sticks around for a few days, and still looks "full."

      Delete
  2. The pink moon was gorgeous here for 3 days! Amazing! I'm so happy we both have some beautiful spring weather to look forward to finally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink moon looked so grand as it was rising while we were running! It was the most stunning color pink/coral, and the sky had such a fiery glow just before the moon made its appearance. Those two extra miles were well worth it!

      Delete
  3. Crazy weeks come and go but nothing beats the afterglow of a great race! Congrats and enjoy the gorgeous weather - it finally for real and we get to keep it right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm sure hopeful we get to keep this weather...until we get to trade it for summer!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great recovery week to me! Good to hear that you were able to recover quickly from the rebranding at work that occurred while you were out of town.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rebranding was crazy, but we'd done all we could do leading up to the big reveal. There were just too many details that had to wait until everything was official to the public. I think the worst is behind us (???), but there will still be a few stumbles as we move on to bigger and better things ;-)

      Delete
  5. easy peasy at 23 miles.. LOL

    That's my peak training weeks.

    I agree about recovery runs as long as they are easy and short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, 10 of those 23 miles were from the actual race, LOL. I keep all my recovery runs easy and short (2-3 miles max).

      Delete
  6. We definitely had some Winter like mornings (usually when I was running, LOL!) -- it makes dressing difficult to figure out.

    Sounds like a great recovery week. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These transitional seasons are always tough to dress for! I'm the queen of over (and under) dressing, mainly because the wind is such a trump card ;-)

      Delete
  7. Everyone needs to recharge their battery sometimes! It sounds like a great week of activity and recovery, and I'm envious of your weather. Spring is the best. Not in Florida of course, but I remember those days. I missed the pink moon (I never know what's going on!)
    Happy Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, heads up...the next full moon (the Flower Moon) is May 5th, and is supposed to be a total lunar eclipse!

      Delete
  8. These days if I oversleep, I figure my body needed it — I’m sure yours did after traveling and racing and all the changes at work.

    I love your Fashion Flare — I have a new sweater in the same green. I guess it’s on point this season. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That rebranding at work sounds like a big deal - and a lot of extra work! Glad it went well. Very exciting that you will be running a half on April 23rd too. Congrats on the Cherry Blossom 10 miler. I'll have to add that my bucket list. It looks really beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the 10 mile PR Kim! Way to go. And a half on the 23rd- that's the same day as my race as well! Hopefully a strong day of running around the globe :)

    Nice job listening to your body this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did so amazing at Cherry Blossom! So proud of you! It does sound like you had a good but lowkey week, and that recovery is so good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so hard when work is stressful, especially when there are new projects. Kudos to you for still getting in workouts in spite of all the craziness.

    ReplyDelete