Thursday, May 4, 2023

May We Chat?


Can you believe the MAYhem is well underway?

It's hard to believe we are already 1/3 of the way through 2023. Time flies, am I right?

Anyways, it's time for the monthly gathering of friends, mugs and chatter. It's always nice having a coffee chat and playing catch-up.

Shall we get this May Chat started?

If you don't mind, I'll go first...

This May Chat has me sharing my April '23 stats with you all. Although I keep a weekly log, I don't pay much attention to the totals until it's time to tally the monthly numbers. April kept me busy with three big distance races, a return to outdoor cycling, and an increase in walking (due to the warmer temps). That said, the running miles saw their highest numbers since early last fall. The walking numbers are way up as well, which is no surprise. And, the biking numbers were a little lower than previous months...but, again, there were those three big races (which amounted to three less days of long (weekend) rides. No big whoop. With summer just around the corner, the biking is probably going to be increasing. I'm looking forward to continued time in the saddle, most of which will be outdoors.


This May Chat also has me griping about the wind. I know, I know, it seems like the wind is always a topic on my roster for discussion (probably because it's ALWAYS a constant reality in the weather conditions). Honestly, the wind is always crazy in the Midwest, but it seems especially evil this year. I mean, 32mph wind? What the WHAT?!?


For this May Chat, I'll share that my recent race was a rare "all-on-my-own" adventure. The majority of races that I do, I'm usually either with Barb or they're short races. This was the first time I ventured out for a long distance race solo. I did know a few people there (Instagram friends), but it was a new experience traveling alone (with an overnight stay, nonetheless) and then doing a race in an unfamiliar town. 


This May Chat will also have me gushing about my return to outdoor biking. We've had some decent temps, but the wind (as mentioned above) has delayed the outdoor biking. Like with running, there is an acclimation period with biking as the seasons change. We had temps in the 60F's this week, but Holy Brrr Batman, those temps are chilly on a bike! I had to loop back, after not even a 1/4-mile, on Wednesday's post-workday ride, and grab my arm warmers. Even though the 4mph wind was a treat, it felt MUCH colder (and stronger) on the bike. But, I was grateful to be back outside, so it wasn't a deal-breaker.


Finally, at the May Chat, I'll tell you about this week's full moon run! Suffice it to say, this run was pure #perfection. Thursday evening's temps were warm (high-70F's), the wind was minimal, the sky was clear, and the moon was bright! Honestly, it felt like a wonderful summer evening! A bonus? My body felt almost completely recovered from the two recent back-to-back half marathons.


So, those are just a few (or five) things I'd chat about if we were gathered together. I think I'm about due for a refill...

If we were having a May Chat, what would you bring to the table? Did April play out nicely, or were there some battles and stumbles along the way? How has your weather been? Windy? Warm? Wet? Did you catch the full moon?

 Since it's the first weekend of the month, I'm linking this with Deborah and Coco for the Ultimate Coffee Date.


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

22 comments:

  1. Wow, high 70s? We’ve been chilly, but we’re heading into some nice weather.

    Glad you had such a good time at your recent halfs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's starting to feel consistently like spring (with a taste of summer sprinkled in) ;-)

      Delete
  2. Those biking miles are going to skyrocket this summer! The weather is looking gorgeous this weekend so I'm going to try to get the hubs out on the bike trail for a date. The place where I'm going for my long weekend trip this month is known for its bike trails, so I'm excited to bring the bike along with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for summer biking!!! I hope the biking date is a go ;-)

      Delete
  3. Wow on doing a destination race alone. That’s impressive!

    Our weather was more March-like this week but they are promising a warm-up soon. Until then, I’m still wearing my leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy month for you! Glad I got to be a small part of it. Glad you getting out to try new things. I used to love outdoor cycling-not sure what happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really getting burnt-out on my indoor bike! I think all the crazy wind has kept me inside later in the season that usual...I gotta break free LOL

      Delete
  5. I did see the full moon and thought of you immediately! That run sounds amazing. Your wind on the other hand does NOT sound amazing!!! Ugh.
    Traveling solo to a race actually sounds really fun to me. And it sounds like it worked out well for you- maybe you'll do it more often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks a great month for you! And good on you venturing to a destination race on your own!

    The wind seems to be especially bad this year. I don't mind a little "resistance training" but it has gotten to be a bit much.

    Your full moon run sounds like perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The resistance training has really been on the upswing this year, thanks to the wind!

      Delete
  7. Great month! I do love traveling on my own and I hope you had a good experience with it! So happy you are back to your outdoor cycling. I know you love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I'm hoping to get more outdoor miles on the bike as the weather continues to warm up..

      Delete
  8. I'm glad to see you doing things on your own! It's hard to do it but it's kind of fun, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been afraid of doing races on my own, it just seldom happens since there's usually people to carpool with. It was a nice change of routine, though, to do this big race. I've done a lot of solo 5K's but never a 13.1.

      Delete
  9. Our April started our really warm ( like unseasonably warm), but then it dipped back down for a week or 2. We are now back to our "normal" spring temps. That's awesome that you traveled and raced on your own. I ran the NYC half on my own and regardless of what my time was, I felt so accomplished! I too am looking forward to more outdoor biking this spring/summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such an outdoor gal! It feels like the crazy wind has kept me inside later this spring that usual (with biking, that is).

      Delete
  10. I remember the midwest wind for sure! we get a good share of wind here too and it definitely makes it colder or just irritating LOL! well done on your april numbers! I can't wait to get back out on the bike for more than a commute ride. Of course I need to have my bike checked now since I fell a couple weeks ago *eyeroll* but my bike appt is on the 17th and hopefully we'll be out on the 18th, weather permitting. I keep thinking to also do a full moon run and always forget! I really want to do that this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course, I just checked and it was on Friday... so June? :D

      Delete
  11. Traveling alone for a race is quite an experience! I have done it a few times but it can also be a bit lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's definitely been warming up over here, although since I just came back from Vietnam where it was super hot and humid, I don't notice it so much.

    I'm glad you had fun at your destination race! I enjoy solo traveling but haven't ever done solo travel to a race before!

    ReplyDelete