Thursday, May 11, 2023

Music & Running


Shall we talk about music? How about running? Or how the two work in unison?

Truth be told, there were many years that my runs didn't happen without music. Unless I was running with friends, music was every bit a necessity as were my running shoes. 

I guess I used it as a crutch. I thought I needed it to keep me entertained, motivated, and energized.

Then the 2019 Marine Corps Marathon happened, and all that changed...

It was somewhere in the second mile when I got separated from my friend, Rachel. I fumbled to get my iPod Shuffle to turn on, and it wouldn't work. Did I mention it was raining as well?

Yeah, so there I was. Alone (well, among several thousand other marathoners, LOL), getting rained on, with no music to keep me inspired, and with 24+ miles yet to be run.


Long story short, I persevered and crossed the finish line...without the aid of music. Instead, I learned that not only can I do hard things, but I can do them on my own. I also surmised that if I could make it through almost an entire marathon, in the pouring rain nonetheless, I could probably survive any distance without music.

These days, I run most of my runs (short or long) without the aid of music. On occasion, I may cue up a Peloton workout (for the sound track), but that's not the norm.

That being said, I still LOVE music. Even if I don't have it playing in my ears, I get energy from favorite songs. Some of the lyrics just grab me. Often times, the beat of the music (even though it's only playing in my head, LOL) will liven-up my cadence. And, there have been numerous times when I'll intentionally focus on a song to momentarily distract me from the task at hand (like a steep hill).

Care to hear what a few of my favorites are?

First off ... Stone in Love by Journey. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is about this song, but it's the first one I go to if I'm having a challenging moment in the running shoes (or even on the bike). I recently saw Journey in concert for the second time, but with a different lead singer (Arnel Pineda), and it was almost magical. My apologies for the vintage video below (and scary 80's clothes and hair!), with the original lead singer, Steve Perry. 



How about some Paradise City by Guns N' Roses? Oh gosh....this head banger piece of art starts off kind of calm and tranquil, then takes off after Axl blows his whistle. If this doesn't get you pumped, noting will!



Hells Bells by AC/DC. It's a given I love AC/DC (even more proof HERE). Unfortunately, I didn't appreciate their talent back in the day. In recent years, though, they are front and center on my short list of favorites. Their heavy guitar-laden style is my anthem.



Then, there's Bon Jovi's It's My Life. This song is quite the anthem. I've seen them three times in concert and Jon still melts my heart, plus he's looking especially divine in the video.



Last of all, Rock Rock Til You Drop, by Def Leppard. This song is pure energy on steroids. It's loud, it's fast-moving, and it's got a strong beat. I've seen this band twice as well (once with Journey!) and their concerts never disappoint.


So, in a tiny nutshell, these are my top-5...but my music list is long and it's pretty eclectic. There are times I do miss not having the tunes with me on the road, no doubt. That being said, it is nice knowing I no longer "need" to have them along with me...but they are always with me in spirit. 

A few related posts:

How about you? Do you listen to music while running? Always? Sometimes? Never? What would you say is your favorite song for such occasions?

I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.



By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

14 comments:

  1. When I started running, music was a must. Anytime that my battery died or I forgot my headphones it was a tragedy. As I got further into running, music became less important. Toward the end I stopped bringing music to races, and it really amped up the experience to be able to hear the crowd around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when I had music with me for races, I always paid attention to the crowd...but I certainly had MUCH more appreciation for crowd support when the music was no longer part of the experience.

      Delete
  2. Definitely a strong rocker vibe here! That Bon Jovi song is a favorite of mine too.

    I think it's amaing that you got through a marathon without music. While I like to run without music some of the time, Ireally appreciate having my tunes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the MCM was such a learning experience, on so many levels! It was pretty empowering to have made it to the finish line without the "aid" of music ;-)

      Delete
  3. your choices don't surprise me at all! I am particularly fond of Journey and Def Leppard. I don't listen to music a lot when running - I also had to learn "by accident" to run without it during a race as I had brought my headphones but no iPod - LOL! we survived and thrived! by the way Stone in Love *totally* reminds me of my first boyfriend ever... and it's a good memory, we are actually still friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's neat to have that memory! Music really embodies us, in so many ways!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I can see how these would pump you up! I usually listen to podcasts while I run, but will listen to music occasionally. Every once in a while I listen to nothing, and that's fine too. In my last race, I ran with nothing for quite a while... then when it got really tough I put in music and it REALLY helped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, music can really help us dig deep when we have those tough moments!

      Delete
  5. This is so fun... everyone has different songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and some of have the same songs, or at least the same bands ;-)

      Delete
  6. Music helps to run better and time flies but I prefer to run without it to pay more attention to the cars because here there is a lot of traffic.
    My favorite song in your list is "Hells bells".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Hells Bells" is such a powerful song! It almost feels like it was written for racing!

      Delete
  7. I don't often run with music anymore, but when I do, I love big power ballads and singable 80s type stuff. It makes things more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great selection! I love running with music but have also run without it. It isn't that bad and it can be done. I ran the NYC Half Marathon without and focused on how I was feeling, the sights, and the energy from the people.

    ReplyDelete