Thursday, August 24, 2023

'Fessing & Sweating (not necessarily in that order)


Didn't we just gather 'round the 'fessional, like last week? 

No?

I guess it's a good thing I've had a whirlwind of activity (and an overdose of fun) in the meantime. Seriously, I cannot complain. That being said, it does make the time go far too quickly. 

Alas, here we are. Shall I get this 'fession party started?

First off, there's the crazy heat that's been lingering. As if the week of RAGBRAI wasn't hot enough, this past week alone we've had triple-digit feels-like conditions on a daily basis. Granted, I've professed numerous times that I'll gladly take the heat of summer over the cold of winter. When it's for an entire week, with such excessive humidity... I gotta sweatfess that even I'm ready to wave the white flag. 

all aglow from the heat, even in the pre-sunrise hours

Speaking of the heat, it's a blatant bikefession that I'm still getting outside and soaking up as much of (what remains of) summer as possible. Saddling-up, and taking a ride, is a great way to make the heat (and humidity) more bearable. Your body still gets the benefit of a cardio fix, but with much less impact and/or effort. In fact, as this post goes live, I've logged 76 total miles over the course of three long rides just this week alone (40 miles on Sunday, and 18 miles both on Monday and Wednesday). 

just another hot weather ride

Many of you may have seen that this week I hit the 1,000 milestone with my #OptOutside daily streak. What most don't know is that I slightly miscounted the days (after all, there were 1,000 of them, LOL). All along, I'd been counting an extra day by accident (the Wednesday, prior to Thanksgiving 2020), when in fact, there wasn't a run on that day (due to my healing stress fracture) nor was there any outside fitness action (due to my oblivion about said #OptOutside streak...which wasn't even on my radar at that point in time). Did you catch all that? Anyways, instead of Monday being Day-1,000, Tuesday was the actual monumental day...and I runfess that in the grand scheme of those 1,000 days, I honestly do not care. I surpassed the big milestone, nonetheless, and all is well. Onward! 

screenshot of the celebratory Day-1,000 reel

On a different note, I have been having issues with my tried and true favorite running shoes, the Brooks Adrenalines. This most recent pair, the GTS-22, has just not been a great fit from Day-1. Although they have worked out fine, I have not loved them like I had all the previous models (for the past eight years). Just recently, I've been having a weird phantom pain in my left heel, and there's an annoying blister on the underside of my outer right ankle. Yes, these shoes are probably needing retiring, but I've never, ever, had any such discomforts from any of the previous models. That being said, I shoefess that I have a new love...the Brooks Launch (which, I believe replaced the Ravenna). They're also a stability shoe, but much lighter in feel, and have become a fabulous replacement. 

happy feet = happy runner

Finally, the IMT Des Moines Marathon weekend is happening mid-October. I have participated numerous times since 2008, the half marathon being my preferred race-of-choice. Believe or not, I still have not yet registered. I racefess, this is the worst case of RRP (you know, Race Registration Procrastination) I have ever experienced. It's almost embarrassing. I will register, I promise.

my collection of hardware from previous IMT DSM Marathon weekends 

Whew! Does it feel good to get all those 'fessions out in the open and off my mind. 

You've heard mine, now it's your turn...any 'fessions to share, amongst friends? 

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

23 comments:

  1. Love seeing all your biking miles!
    I think I have a pair of Launch I use on the tread — they are pretty light weight so I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable in them outside. I’m about ready for a new pair of outdoor running shoes, since I got my current pair in December. It’s always a fraught decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the shoe situation can be daunting! I've worn the Launches for one half marathon, which was pushing the distance on them a bit. I think I'll stay with them, though, for the DSM 13.1 (which I'll be registering for this weekend).

      Delete
  2. I am right there with you on the heat. This most recent blast of it will make saying goodbye to summer a tad easier. Sounds like you're getting your shoe situation figured out. Now go register for that race! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy to have such extreme heat for so many continuous days!

      Delete
  3. I'm almost always a last minute registrant because even though you never know what can happen, I know the stuff going on in my life means it's even more possible to DNS a race.

    We are not getting the heat & for that I am eternally grateful.

    1000 days is quite the accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our heat finally broke a bit overnight, and it's supposed to be much better tomorrow. Whew!

      Delete
  4. You are not alone on the Adrenalines - the 22s definitely have a different feel compared to previous models. I runfess that I've been using mine more for walks vs runs as Ghosts have become my go to. I'm glad the Launch is working for you!

    Well you know how I feel about the heat lol! We've been graced with a break in the heat the past week - keeping my fingers crossed that it lasts!

    Congrats on hitting 1,000 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one questioning my loyalty to the Adrenalines. They just felt "off" from the start, but not enough to return them...glad we're both finding good alternatives!

      Delete
  5. Either way, you hit Day #1000. Good thing you didn't decide to stop there, thinking you were at 1000 and then later realize you only did 999 (noooooo!). I have a feeling this streak will be going strong for a long time.
    I hear all about your crazy heat from my sister! Yes, maybe that will make the chilly fall temperatures a little more bearable when they arrive. I think your heat index has been higher than ours.
    i don't think you're too crazy late signing up for that race- I've definitely pushed it later than that! But if you know for sure you want to run it, then yes, sign up right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm planning to continue the daily outside gig. I mean, why not? If I can make it through three winters...why not continue? ;-)

      Delete
  6. I agree, the exact date that you hit comma status doesn't matter - you're there and the counter is going up everyday.

    I've really been digging short run/walks lately AND I am absolutely horrified by the amount of sweat that my body can put out in 20-30 minutes.

    You're allowed to register for the race when you want to register for the race! Yeah yeah you might miss out on an early bird discount or maybe the race could sell out...but if for whatever reason you haven't pulled the trigger yet it's fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1000 miles is quite an accomplishment.

    We have not gotten your heat... it's cool and rainy.

    I am hesitating on a Oct local half and a Nov local one... definitely not like me.

    Right now all I can think about is a marathon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was actually 1,000 days, not miles, LOL Don't be too impressed...I seldom reach the 1K mark with my miles (on foot, that is).

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad (relieved? is maybe a better word?) but I've had a similar issue with the 22. I've always slipped my feet in and felt at home. But the 22 took me a while to break in - I'm on my second pair of the 22s and same thing. There is some kind of change that my feet are not 100% happy with. Not enough for me to ditch them at the moment but just not the comfort I was always used to from Day 1. I will look into the Launch as I also need a stability shoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like the 22's have not been a good fit for a lot of people. Such a bummer! I have loved those shoes forever!

      Delete
  9. Heat finally got to you huh?! So glad to see you having such a fun summer and embracing some new things. Congrats again on your streak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...well, I'm not sure if it "got" me, but it did make me question a few of my outdoor activities, LOL. It's all good...at least it wasn't snowing ;-)

      Delete
  10. I can't imagine you NOT doing that race, ha!
    Nice that you found a good replacement for those not-so-good shoes. I hate it when they change stuff to your favourite shoe.
    I get so attached to my shoes... the ones I'm using now are falling apart but I find they get better and better the more battered they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, WHY do they change an already perfect shoe? There were no "improvements" needed...

      Delete
  11. Here also white flag: too hot and humid. No racing plans until the end of this terrible heat wave.
    And now, please, don't be lazy like me, go to register for your race!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I honestly have yet to find a Brooks shoe that I didn't like - of course, I have my favorites, but... they're all good IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1000 days is 1000 days. Amazing work! I love the Adrenalines and just bought another pair of 22s on sale, but I also loved the Ravenna. Is it the Launch GTS that you tried? I would be interested in giving that a go!

    ReplyDelete