Saturday, August 19, 2023

Where Did My Summer Go?


Suffice it to say that things were a bit out-of-sorts this week.

After a few weeks of outright denial, reality smacked me in the face. The sunrises (that I love so dearly)  are coming later and later, and the morning (and some of the evening) temps are on a downward spiral. These are all things I'd noticed, but they really became evident this week. Ugh...why, oh why, is the summer season so short in Iowa???

It wasn't just the seasonal shift in daylight and weather, though, that affected my livelihood. The Iowa State Fair was underway, and I simply had to make a trek (or two) to see the sights (and compromise my already-jacked sleep schedule). 

Alas, you only live once and I  believe in seizing each moment, day, and week whenever possible. So, that I did...

Before I dis on the deets of the week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)

Anyways, here's what went down this (out-of-the-ordinary) week:

A low-key/low-impact Sunday.
I promised myself (and others) that I'd keep things easy for Sunday, and I delivered. The day began with a 2-mile walk (after a slight sleep-in), and a 3-mile (mid-morning) walk with my sister. In the evening, I did a short arm/shoulder workout and some core work.
 

Never miss a Monday.
Up and out the door! The day jump-started with a tempo-ish 3-miler (9:37 pace). We did a 1-mile mid-morning walk at work, then the rain/mist entered the scene, so we took a pass on an afternoon walk. Later, I hit the road, for appearance #1 at the Iowa State Fair (Des Moines, about a 45-minute drive). A friend and I did a lot of walking (approx. two miles) and a lot of dancing (at the Hairball concert). I made it back home just after midnight.

Not a typical Tuesday...
Despite the late night, I was able to rise and shine on schedule. I got out for a brisk 2-mile walk (ahem, in the 56F temps), and cued up an arm/shoulder workout (via Peloton) upon returning back home. There only was time for a 1-mile morning walk at work, because I left mid-afternoon for appearance #2 at the Fair, this time with another friend. There was even more walking than the day prior, fun fair food (on a stick, LOL), and another Hairball concert in the evening (with even more high energy dancing). Also, another late evening...back home just before midnight this time. 
  

Wednesday: feelin' the fall chill...
Allison joined Barb and me for the #5at5. With the temps in the mid-50's (again) and the sunrise nowhere to be seen, this run was a bitter taste of what's to come with the seasons on the verge of changing. With another late night behind me, somehow my body work up before my 4:35 alarm. Not sure how that keeps happening, LOL. I napfess, though, I did take a 30ish minute snooze before heading to work. I also got in a couple of 2-mile walks (after work and later in the evening).


Triple-threat Thursday...
Finally, it felt a little more like summer again. Temps were sitting at 70F when I rallied with Deb (virtually) at 5:00AM for our weekly chat session. Four walking miles later, I also had daylight (seriously, when did it get so dark in the early hours???). Since I hadn't been on a bike since Saturday (who am I?), I had time to squeeze in a quick 7-mile ride, amidst the bright rising sun, before heading to the office.



After work, Amy and I braved the 14mph headwind on the hilly bike path. Wow, that was a tough jaunt to the lake, but the return trip was much better. We certainly earned our "tailwind" on that one! After we parted ways, I continued riding for a little longer, ending with 20 miles.



And, after grabbing some dinner, I hit the mini gym (in the basement) and knocked out a stack of Peloton workouts. The glutes/legs workout was felt almost immediately. The arms/light weights kind of snuck up on me as well. And, silly me, I should have known a "simple" 5-minute core workout with Tunde wouldn't be simple at all.


A Friday "finale" to the week...
With a long day of travel planned for Saturday, there wouldn't be a long run happening...so I did a semi-long run on Friday instead. Allison was willing to meet me for a #5at5, and this semi-long run morphed into another tempo-attempt...to the tune of a 9:33 pace. Later, that evening, there was a solid two miles of "social walking" (for lack of a better term, LOL).


Sort of a simple Saturday...
There was a day trip on deck, with my sis and parents, to SE Minnesota. Our departure time got moved back to 7:30, so I laced up and headed out, at daybreak, for a quick 2-mile walk. BTW, this was following (yet) another late evening (which seemed to be the theme this week). Suffice it to say we kept to a pretty tight schedule, and were able to make four stops and were able to spend time with numerous relatives in four different towns. It was almost 9:00PM when we pulled back into my driveway. Believe me, all that car riding felt more exhausting than had I done an actual long run!


...and what's happening on Sunday?
We are currently under a heat advisory for the next several days. I'm planning on a short walk in the early hours (or maybe a short run?), and then a long bike ride.

So, about this week....eek! Yes, things were a bit out of whack (#understatement). There were more late nights than not (and these were past midnight late nights), just saying. Most of those late nights were followed by very early mornings, LOL. Somehow, my mind and body were able to just go with the flow. In all actuality, this kind of made for a bit of a recovery week in terms of cardio-based fitness. Running saw some moderately low mileage (13 miles!), but there was some nice "tempo'ing" happening. Biking may have been at an all time low, with 27 miles (but I'm jump-starting this next week's biking mileage on Sunday). Walking, though, was pretty stellar, with 26 miles of movement. The strength work was legit, and didn't give me any DOMS (worthy of a celebration, no?).

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. After a few days of feels-like-fall temps, the heat of summer returned on Friday (but the humidity stayed away). I was feeling kind of red and white and flowery...so I donned the appropriate top with the appropriate pattern.


These Morning Glories! Silly me, several years ago I planted these from seed, believing them to be annuals (as was indicated on the seed packet). I planted more, the following year. Well, over the years, these pretty purple beauties have become a Jumanji jungle surrounding my mailbox. That said, they're still quite strikingly beautiful this time of year.


Finally, as mentioned, I went to the Iowa State Fair on both Monday and Tuesday evenings to see the band Hairball (their site is HERE). A cover band, based out of Minneapolis, they tour all over the country, but hit the Midwest especially hard. They have elaborate costumes, pyrotechnics and do  authentic imitations of all the hair bands of my era. They don't just put on a concert, it's a major dance party...hence the high number of "steps" for Monday and Tuesday (over 12,000 "steps" happened during the concerts, LOL). It's a good thing I was taking things "easy" on the running/biking cardio this week.


So, that's what she wrote for this week. Somewhat scaled-back, yet heavy on action and movement. Low on sleep (#MyBad). But, absolutely no regrets!

How did your week go? Any highlights? Were you busy in the fitness shoes, or were there signs of recovery at play? Have you ever had two solid nights of concert-going (and crazy dancing)...and lived to tell about it?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

32 comments:

  1. The Iowa state fair is famous It is apparently something to see! Sounds like you had a fun and busy week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truthfully, I'm not much of a true fair-goer, but I do love me some Hairball! Well, the food-on-a stick is kind of fun, and there is a lot of interesting people-watching opportunities to be had...

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this Hairball you speak of but it sounds like you had a blast! Yes, apparently we lose a ton of daylight in August and it is very apparent, in a depressing way. Ugh. I love fall, but still. The morning glories are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The change in daylight has been so drastic, just in recent weeks! Major buzzkill....at least we still have a bit of the summer weather.

      Delete
  3. Jumanji jungle <3
    Sleep is always for later when there's a fun option, but I can't rock the late nights. At least when at dinner with friends, two of us were yawning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bah. Got logged out again. (Cari)

      Delete
    2. As many late nights as I had last week, I'm really amazed I didn't suffer much the mornings after. Oh well, the late nights were so much fun, I'd do them all over again, LOL (just probably not for awhile).

      Delete
  4. When I was a kid (and teenager) the fair was a big part of the end of Summer. Yes, you can get a lot of walking done there! In TX it was the rodeo, LOL! We don't go to the fair here. Probably because of the dogs.

    I hope you get a bit more shuteye this week & enjoy these waning days of Summer! I enjoy the more ample shade in the mornings -- and Bandit REALLY enjoys that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the state fair is such a big deal here because it's heavily agriculturally-based. For myself, if I get there once (during the 10 days of activity), I'm good for the year. The concerts are usually pretty decent, so those are what draw me there.

      Delete
  5. Ah, the Iowa State Fair! Makes me miss the Minnesota State Fair, I loved it so much. Glad you had a great time!

    From brisk temps to another wave- summer is not over yet! September came be a fab weather month, but I hear you that summer went much too quickly.

    Thanks for hosting the link-up Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man the late nights are rough! But on the flip side, the only reason that I ever stay up late is because there's something fun going on, so that helps at least.

    Sigh yes I see the darker mornings and the shorter nights...come back summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't really noticed the dark evenings until tonight...I went out for a walk at 8:30, and it was depressing how dark it was.

      Delete
  7. All I can say is, move to Florida! We'll be having summer for a couple more months (and then after that we move into "Summer Lite" season.) But yes- the mornings are darker and I don't like that.
    I like late nights- if I'm reading on the couch, ha ha. Otherwise I wouldn't have the energy to go out like that! But it sounds like you really enjoyed it, so it was worth it. And you still got in plenty of workouts. Sounds like a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a crazy fun week...I think I'm still riding on the endorphins beacause I haven't crashed yet.

      Delete
  8. Summer hasn't quite finished here - in fact it has come back this weekend, it seems. I have got all the steps in, mainly going round DIY shops yesterday choosing stuff for the work we're having done on the house. I have got my running mileage up to 14.1 this week so quite happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news on the running, Liz! I hope things continue to improve for you ;-)

      Delete
  9. Oh the State Fair... I've only been once to the SF here in California. It was fun, but not something I need to do every year. I am so glad you had fun though.

    I noticed too that the days are getting shorter. Sigh. I am already dreading the darker months because it will severely impact my running schedule (I don't run in the dark by myself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really lucky in that I feel safe running here in the dark. That doesn't mean I'm eager for the daylight to disappear, though...

      Delete
  10. oh boy, it's been dark now when I run in the morning too and I'm not happy about it! Especially since I'll be out running an hour earlier starting next week :( Summer has flown by and I don't know where it went. They have a state fair here, but I've never been either! That's great you had a good time. I don't typically stay up late, especially since my youngest is up by 6:30 no matter what day and I like to get in a workout before he's up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My body surprises me and amazes me with its ability to wake-up before the alarm most mornings, even after all those (very) late nights.

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad you got some summer weather again - so much needed in areas with short summers! I doubt we will get any more summer weather but we'll see. :(
    Well done keeping up your daily activities! And thanks for showing that Morning glory - I sing about them in a Norman Blake song but I've never known what they look like! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, you had not seen a Morning Glory before? They are so beautiful, but pretty invasive, LOL.

      Delete
    2. I think I've seen them but never knew what they're called in English :) They are common indoor plants in Sweden or at least I recognise them as such!

      Delete
  12. That band looks so fun! I would definitely enjoy their concert, and lose my voice from singing along! I agree, get out there and enjoy it while you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you like the 80's hair bands and classic rock, you'd LOVE Hairball! They probably will be in your area at some point...check out their site (linked above) and take a look at their tour dates!

      Delete
  13. What a fun time! I've gotten almost zero sleep this week. I'm so exhausted. We also went to a concert, although it didn't end until pretty late. I'm also sorry that you are getting the heat advisories. Those are rough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather had cooled off (a bit) in recent weeks, but BOOM! The heat (and humidity) came rallying back with a vengeance this weekend!

      Delete
  14. Those Hairball concerts sound fun! Listening to good music and dancing, what's not to love? Glad you had fun!

    And ugh to the darker morning, but you already know that I my opinion is the same as yours on that front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concerts were both so much fun! I'd never seen them two consecutive nights before...that's gonna be tough to top! I can see myself going back every year, from here on out, and doing the two nights again.

      Delete
  15. Looked like a fun week for you...

    Cooler temps are great for running but I always hate to see the summer ending and the daylight decreasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...the cooler mornings are nice for running, but feel cold for walking (and they are freezing when I'm on a bike). The darkness is not fun!

      Delete