Thursday, August 10, 2023

For the love of the Bike

 


We all know that biking has pivoted to a prominent spot in my fitness regimen, right?

Believe me, it's a reality I never saw coming. I mean, I've been a runner for over 18 years now. How could something (anything) ever step into (let alone, share) the limelight?

Well, it happened, in a relatively short span of time. And, I'm ever grateful for the experience.

How about I share a few (or five, LOL) things I've grown to love about this permanent change to my fitness livelihood...

First off, there's the very bike that started it all....Gustavas, my mountain bike. Truth be told, He'd been a part of my life for many years, but had been locked away in storage, ignored (I know, #MyBad). It wasn't until a few years ago, that I dug him out, dusted him off, and started riding him on a very part-time basis. Then, in 2019, I started riding him more consistently. A year later, in August of 2020, the derecho hit. I found myself  "playing hostess" to my first-ever stress fracture (I think it was a result of all the foot contortions, in walking/climbing/stumbling over all the post-derecho debris in our yard). I was ordered not to walk or run for a minimum six weeks, but I could ride my bike. My dear Gustavas saw me through that recovery period, and kept me quite active.  As they say, the rest is history.



Then, along came Fritz and (later) Krystal...both hybrid bikes. Fritz was such a breath of fresh air after all the miles I'd logged with Gustavas because he was a good 30 pounds lighter. It was the summer of 2021, and Amy and I began a quest of riding out (and back) on the hilly bike path on a weekly basis. Fritz was so much easier on all those hills than Gustavas! Later that summer, in late July, Fritz accompanied me on my first-ever RAGBRAI ride. 



Last year, in May of 2022, I traded in Fritz for Krystal...a much better "fit," given her taller frame. Krystal was the perfect replacement, and she took a turn at riding of day of RAGBRAI in 2022, and three days of RAGBRAI just last month. Let's not forget my first century ride (July 2022); Krystal was a huge part of making those 100 miles seem (almost) effortless.


Not to be left out of the picture, is my spin bike, Hawkeye (who replaced Sebbe, last December). It's no secret I'd rather be outside, on any given day, but having an indoor cycling option is pretty sweet during the frigid winter months of Iowa, as well as those summer days when the weather outside is frightful. A neat feature about indoor cycling is the plethora of cycling workouts one can utilize, such as those via Peloton. I've also snagged many a Garmin badge, as well, from my indoor cycling adventures (What can I say? Those Garmin badges are great motivation!).


It goes without saying that RAGBRAI has become a cycling-related thing I now have a love for as well. Although I have not yet taken on an entire week of RAGBRAI, I have been a part of the past three editions of the famous week-long ride across Iowa. That's something I never saw coming, either!


Finally, probably the biggest (and best) thing I love about biking is experiencing it with friends. When Covid hit, we did a lot of long rides on the weekends (since there weren't any football games to go to, LOL). Those long rides, with friends, have continued. It's great fun exploring new trails, stopping for food and fuel along the routes, and enjoying each others company while getting some valuable exercise. 


As mentioned, biking has really grown on me and I can't see it ever leaving the scene. It not only provides a great means of fitness, but it's also been a great source of social fun. It's a valuable  fitness option when it comes to cross-training (cardio and strength), not to mention how great of a recovery vice it can be. I can honestly say biking has really enhanced my overall level of fitness, and my running performance has benefited as well.

A few related posts:

So, those are some thoughts on my love for biking. 

Your thoughts? Have you given cycling a try? Every utilized it for cross-training or recovery? 

I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

11 comments:

  1. I had a phase of really enjoying my outdoor biking as well. It’s especially nice to embrace the bike miles during the summer heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know my feelings on this! Prior to this spring I didn't own a bike and hadn't ridden one since high school. Then I found a reason to get one and suddenly it's my best friend. My plan was just to ride it on vacation but I find myself reaching for it anytime that I don't feel like treadmill power walking and for the occasional bike date with the hubs.

    My bike is small and somewhat heavy because I wanted a cheap fold up bike to fit in my small car. I am curious what it would be like to ride a "fancier" bike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like cycling, but it never really takes. I get started with it and then fall off the wagon. It's not super safe conditions to ride here. If I want to go out, I usually have to load up and go somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have much for trails in my area, so I usually have to load up and travel a bot to get some decent trails. It's always worth the effort, though, in getting there!

      Delete
  4. I love that you bikes have names :) As you know, I cycle too (more indoors than outdoors but it's become a great addition to my exercise routine!). I am always in awe of the miles you put in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cycling miles add up quickly! It's really easy to saddle-up and go for a 5-10 mile ride after work (or even in the early hours, on mornings when I'm not running).

      Delete
  5. I think it's great that you've embraced cycling! I honestly cannot remember that last time I was on a road bike, but you know that I enjoy my Peloton for cross-training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful I finally got on board with cycling. It's been such a great fitness option for me, indoors and outdoors ;-)

      Delete
  6. I love how we have both embraced cycling, and both initially out of an injury and then Covid boredom. Keep adding those miles up, Kim!

    ReplyDelete