Monday, December 18, 2023

2023 - The Year in Pics


So, here we are...closing in on the end of 2023.

Lots of memories. Plenty of miles. And even some mischief (you know, for good measure).

I'm thankful most of it was documented, via pics, because there was so much going on. There was fun to be had, daily fitness to enjoy, and valuable friendships (new and long-standing) to treasure. 

Shall we take a quick walk, down the 2023 memory lane? 

Probably a year-round constant was my love for sunrises. Being an early-riser, I seldom miss the opportunity to witness the daily beauty and splendor of a good sunrise (especially in the non-winter months, LOL). I sometimes am able to catch the rising sun on the winter weekends, outside and in the flesh, (but often have to bear witness en route to the office). But, during the other three seasons? Oh yeah baby, I'm there!


Daily movement, outdoors, continued to be paramount to my livelihood. In fact, on August 21st, I officially hit the 1,000 mark of my daily #OptOutside Streak (you can read all about it HERE). 


There were a lot of indoor workouts with outdoor selfies (in the colder months). I realize this combo sounds pretty crazy, especially coming from a cold-weather-detester like myself. The truth is, a quick reprieve outdoors, following a hot indoor workout, really feels refreshing! As I see it, you might as well knock-out a selfie while you're out there and capitalize on the craziness. 


There was all kinds of biking...

often times on  my own...

weekly rides on the hilly bike path with Amy

A day of RAGBRAI with Barb and Chuck

plenty of "heated" weekend rides in the summer with Amy and Mike

There also was my first-ever bike crash. You've heard the phrase "Go big or go home," right? This crash left me with all kinds of road rash and bruising on my left arm and leg, a wonky shoulder, and several bruised ribs. I had to take a couple of weeks off from running because the impact of pavement pounding was quite uncomfortable. Fortunately, my bike was unscathed by the episode, so when I wasn't able to run, I simply just did more biking (do you see the irony?).


The full moon runs continued to be a fun monthly ritual. I don't expect these to ever cease...


In October, after several years of fighting a plateau, I ran my fastest 13.1 at the IMT Des Moines Half Marathon (recap)...even if the race course ran long (13.29 miles). My 9:05 pace would have secured a 1:59:05 finish time, but "settling" for a 2:00:37 ain't "half" bad (I know, #BadPun).


I also stepped, big time, out of my comfort zone and took on a challenging off-road race in November. The Living History Farms 5-Mile Run (recap) finally became a reality for me, and I had the wet and  muddy shoes to show for it.


And, best of all, there were numerous adventures and antics with fellow fitness-minded friends.

CUCB Cherry Blossom meet-up with Deb, Coco, Cari and Deborah

Market-to-Market Relay with Rebecca, Nicole, Nikki, Tina, Allison and Barb

weekly (virtual) cardio time with Deb

lots (and LOTS) of miles with Allison and Barb

Words cannot express the value I place with time spent with family. These three kiddos mean the world to me (yes, they're all are out of college, but they'll always be my "kids," LOL). I cherish every moment spent with them, and we had some solid fun together in 2023.


While these few pics barely scratch the surface of all that happened in 2023, they give a solid representation of all that's important to me. I'm ever grateful for all the highlights showcased, and ever thankful for all that aren't shown as well. That said, I'm eager to see what 2024 has in store for me...and what is headed my way. Bring it on!

How was your 2023? Fun times? Challenges overcome? Lessons learned? Any new events or experiences?

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up



By the way...are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

15 comments:

  1. What a fabulous year you had! Running and biking give us some great adventures. I especially love how you embrace the sunrises and full moons. That is something that I could do more of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a year! You are getting better not older!

    And you are so well--rounded - indoors, outdoors, cold, hot, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha!! Letts hope I'm getting better, LOL! Not in any hurry for the aging to take effect...

      Delete
  3. So glad we got to meet up again this year! You did have a fab year of accomplishments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah ;-) It was great getting to hang out for a few days amidst all the Cherry Blossom festivities!!

      Delete
  4. My all time favorite is your outdoor selfies in winter. Now that the boys have aged out of taking the bus in the morning I almost never go outside in winter after my workouts - this is something that I need to change.

    Congrats on the 13.1 PR! I can see you going back to get the "official" sub 2 in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outdoor selfies are a fun way of coping and poking a bit of fun (?) at the crazy cold weather I get to experience in Iowa.

      Delete
  5. Aw, I love all your photos. So fun! There were a lot of challenges this year, and it seems like things are going to end on a lower note than anticipated, but what can you do? Here's to a great 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Besides the bike crash, I would say it looks like you had another great year full of fun memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a crazy year, in many ways. But, there were some awesome moments, as well (actually MUCH more good than "less-than-good").

      Delete
  7. Yes, you had a great year, and every time I see a full moon or a sunrise, I think of you. And of course your kids will always be your "kids!" (My kids mean the world to me as well.) I do remember you mentioning some fun times with them. Bring on 2024- we're ready!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic year (OK except for the bike crash)! I hope 2024 brings you more goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely a great and challenging year for you! I hope 2024 is just as great or even better.

    ReplyDelete