Thursday, December 28, 2023

Some Final 'Fessions for 2023


 ...and, just like that, it's time for one last trip to the 'fessional for 2023.

December has been a month of surprises, and also a month of adventure. The weather kept me guessing, and the run streak kept me active. There also were a few unexpected "episodes," if you will, that kept me on alert.

Never a dull moment, and that's quite alright. 

For starters, I'll tell you about my new title of Bat Wrangler. 
Last weekend, I'd been up rather late (ahem, 1:00AM, thank you very much). When I'd finally gotten in bed, I kept hearing things. Odd thumping sounds, the wind rattling the tree branches against a window, and unfamiliar screeches. I realized the screen, in the window above my head, was vibrating...and then I noticed a body of something was crawling across it. It looked like this foreign body was stuck in between the pane and screen...until it took flight across my room. It landed on the top of the open bedroom door, somehow missing the spinning ceiling fan. In a moment of haste, I grabbed a cleaning rag from the bathroom, and was able to trap it under the folds of the fabric (which is fortunate, because had I not caught it on the first attempt, it probably would have escaped out into the hallway). I ran down the stairs and threw the rag (and its contents) outside, onto the porch. Let me batfess, I was very happy to see the misplaced bat had found its way out from the folds of fabric and wasn't waiting for me the next morning. How it got into the house (let alone my bedroom ...#ewww), or how long it had been setting up homestead is beyond me.  

the remains of the capture

I think I'm finally feeling the effects of my early mornings and late nights.
Yikes, the past couple weeks have had me waking up early, but also dozing much longer than ever before on occasion. If anyone tries to convince me it's just a natural aging thing, I will choose to not listen. I'll just assume it's exhaustion from the busyness of the season. I have to sleepfess, though, that it baffles me that I don't feel it until the early morning hours, which are usually my golden time.

Let's chat about the weather (again).
December, for the most part, was much more mild, and unseasonably warmer, than typical. We all knew these pleasant conditions wouldn't last forever. Sure enough, BOOM! This week, the weather reverted back to its seasonal "norm." Yes, we're talking a 30-degree plummet overnight, thank you very much. Oh well, I weatherfess that it's kind of a relief to no longer be worrying or wondering when it would happen, LOL.  

back in the puffer vests

The holiday goodies and sweets were almost overkill this year.
Right? Can you believe I'm saying that? Recently, I had routine blood work done, and I forced myself to go very light on sugar consumption in the days preceding. It wasn't a piece of cake (see what I did there?), but it was surprisingly much easier than I'd imagined. Although I haven't committed to it, I'll sugarfess it here and now...I'm considering a sugar fast (of sorts) for the month of January. This wouldn't be a hard and fast "cold turkey" ordeal, but a definite concerted effort to avoid it (after my daily morning cappuccino, that is). Stay tuned! I still have a couple of days to fine-tune the stipulations.

Finally, there's the end-of-year tally on the running mileage.
Although I diligently log my miles, I have never been one to obsess over the numbers. I've never set weekly/monthly/yearly goals on X miles run because I choose to focus more on the quality (as opposed to the quantity) of them. That being said, I was a bit surprised to see how low my running tally will be for 2023 (as of Dec. 28th, I'm at 823). I can easily runfess that I'm totally okay with those stats, though. After all, I was doing some hardcore PT in January and February (therefore, not running much). I also lost a few weeks in June (after the bike crash) and the week of RAGBRAI (in July) had me doing more biking than running. All is well and I have ZERO regrets.  

ever grateful to run on my own terms

There, now I can 'fess that I feel much better. It always feels great to wipe the 'fessions' slate clean and start anew, not only with a new month, but also a new year. Onward to 2024!

How about you? Any 'fessions to share? Are you ready for the new year?

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

16 comments:

  1. Yikes on the bat! That would totally terrify me. Glad you got it out pretty quickly. I'm in need of a sugar cutback as well. Enough already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I screamed out loud when it took off flying because I was taken my surprise. Not sure how I summoned the knowhow to capture it so quickly, LOL. I'm just glad it was over & done within a couple minutes.

      Delete
  2. OMG a bat in your house! I would have totally freaked out! I feel so much better with less sugar in my life and now when I do eat dessert, it doesn’t leave me feeling great. I stopped chasing mileage goals and switched to Peloton milestones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I have a similar experience by cutting back on sugar. My blood work came back totally fine, but I know I have much more sugar in my diet than I should.

      Delete
  3. Eek!!! You are a woman of many talents but I'm sorry that you had to add Bat Wrangler to your resume. Though I think you're going to need to do a costume race as Bat Woman since you've earned the title.

    I'm sure that your biking and walking miles make up for the running miles and anyway who's counting? 2023 was an awesome fitness year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ew. Hate bats!!!!!

    and yes, way too many dinners out and desserts consumed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a terrible sweet tooth! I'm glad I'm so active or it would not be a good situation. LOL.

      Delete
  5. OK that bat would have freaked me out! Nice job on your wrangling!

    After this holiday season I'm ready for a little sugar detox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the bat was creepy! I didn't have time to be freaked, LOL...I was proud of myself for rising to the occasion and taking action. Whodda thunk? ha ha!

      Delete
  6. OMG! A bat! I love bats, but they are definitely scary to have in your house! I'm glad you're ok. Rabies is no joke. We have so many food restrictions in my house that I am not giving up sugar lol. I don't use a ton, ton of it. But I like a little ice cream at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I didn't even think of rabies, I was so caught up in the moment of getting the little creep out of my house...

      Delete
  7. Wow- I think your bat story wins this month! How in the world did it get into your bedroom?????
    I think the busyness of the season is what did us in. I've also been oversleeping and taking some epic naps. Asmuch as I love Christmas, it will be nice when things calm down a little.
    Good luck with your sugar fast... as a recovering sugar-holic, I highly recommend it! You'll feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have NO idea where the bat came from. It was big...almost the size of my fist, not including wingspan.

      Delete
  8. Yikes on the bat! That's why the vets are so big on the rabies vaccine (but it most likely lasts more than 3 years) -- they say you can be bitten by a bat and not even know it. Do you have a fireplace?

    I've done some sugar fasting in my time. I do have a big sweet tooth, but I don't indulge a lot. So every time I do something like that, it's great -- but it always sneaks back in. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a 2-sided fireplace (it's usable from both the living room and the small "sitting area" near the kitchen), but I keep it closed-off because I never use it. So, I have no idea where this little flying critter came from, LOL, because he was too big to squeeze through the glass doors on either side of the fireplace. He's gone, so a happy ending to that story!

      Delete