Saturday, December 23, 2023

Continued Smooth Sailing


What can I say?

We're almost through December, not to mention the Year of 2023, and the weather has been pretty kind to me. We all know I've been run streaking since Thanksgiving Eve. This year, I've done several of those runs in shorts, and even more sans gloves! 

There's also been a lack of snow (precipitation in general, actually), which has made for some low-maintenance daily jaunts in the running shoes.

This past week was no exception...

So, anyways, before I share the deets of the week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Alas, here's what went down, in my little corner of the fitness world, this week:

A low-key Sunday
The morning began with some stair-climbing cardio, via an 18-step hotel stairway. After a full day of wedding shindigs, and a late night of fun and dancing, 10 flights (up and down) made for a pretty thorough wake-up before trekking back home. Later, in the afternoon, I got out for a short 1-mile run and a 2-mile walk, and called it good for the day.
 
Never Miss a Monday
Dang, was my body ever tired! The wind was blowing at a rather rude 24mph at wake-up, so I opted for eight miles on the bike instead.

After work, the wind had calmed down to a "mellow" 6mph, so it was optimal for my daily streak run (Thank you, Momma N!). This run felt so good, as did the weather, that I extended the planned 1-miler to three miles.

An unusually Tired Tuesday
Not sure how or why, but my 10-minute "post-alarm snooze" lasted for 90 minutes instead. Major oops! Short on time, I summoned the elliptical...and 33 minutes later, I had five "miles" done (I guarantee, that kind of distance would not have happened had I been running, LOL). After work, I layered up for another short and quick 1-mile streak run, followed by a 2-mile walk.
 
A no-wind Wednesday!
It was a chilly, but calm Solstice Eve #5at5 this week! Not sure where the wind was, but it can be MIA and I won't cry about it. I also knocked-out a 2-mile walk, after work, before hitting the Sweat Den Down Under (my basement), for 16 miles on the bike and some upper-body strength work.

Thursday...
I hit the "Barre" early (and brought my own 'band"), and also burned my shoulders twice...but it all felt great! Those short strength workouts are awesome time-savers, and give a great muscle burn when you're short on time.

I had planned on heading to another out-of-town ugly sweater run, but my plans changed. What's a runner to do? Take a pivot, text a friend and keep the run local! Allison joined me for four miles, under some Christmas lights and with minimal wind to fight.

Finally Friday
Let's just say Friday was a welcome sight! Work had been (somewhat) busy, with the upcoming 4-day weekend. I had made a few unexpected stops at the grocery store. And, there was a lot of hurried knitting (see below) in the late night hours. I knew the temps would be warm after work, so I opted for an indoor high-cardio/low-impact "brick hour" session indoors:

**3 miles on the elliptical
**6 miles on the bike
**3 additional miles on the elliptical

After work, the air was foggy, misty and damp...but the temps were pleasant (again). Just a quick 1-mile streak run, and I was in for the night...knitting, knitting, and knitting.


Simply Saturday
What a foggy morning! Barb and I met at 7:30 for a 5-miler, and we both decided to wear our light-up vests. Thankfully, most of the fog had cleared by the time we finished, but yikes! Afterwards, I cooled-down on the bike (six miles). Then, off to the store (hopefully my last grocery run for 2023, LOL) and more knitting.


...and Sunday?
The forecast is looking similar to Saturday (upper-40's/50's), so I'll probably be donning shorts again for my streak run. I don't think I've ever done so many December runs with bare legs!

Not a bad week, though a busy week. The run streak is going well; as of Saturday, I'm 85 miles in, and only have nine days remaining. This week saw 20 miles of running (10 of those in shorts, just saying). Walking was, again, rather bleak (six miles). The elliptical saw more action than typical this week, with 11 miles (or thereabouts). Biking was decent, but not stellar... 36 miles. The strength workouts were short, but sweet. I promise to increase the intensity (and duration) after the run streak ends.

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog last week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. Tis the season for red, green, and any combination thereof. I've had this plaid dress for a few years, and it always lifts my spirits when I wear it. Besides, we had our office holiday party, so why not don the festive attire?

As mentioned, I've been knitting this week. This is the third "ugly" collegiate sweater I've fashioned and designed. I made similar sweaters for the youngest daughter and son last year, and am finally getting one ready for the oldest daughter. Maybe I'll make one for myself...eventually.


And, the Winter Solstice! As much as I dread the cold and dark days of Winter, I'm always ecstatic when the Solstice arrives because I know the days are only going to get longer and brighter from here on out. That's worthy of celebrating!


Whew! What a ride this week was! Although things were busy (and a wee bit crazy perhaps), I'm one of those who thrives on such circumstances. I tend to get a lot more done under the crunch of a deadline because I don't have time to dawdle or overanalyze what needs my attention. 

How did your week play out? Do you enjoy the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, or does it leave you feeling overwhelmed? Are you keeping consistent with your fitness regimen amongst all the festivities? How's your weather been?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

25 comments:

  1. I'm with you--i need to stick to my fitness routine. Then everything else falls into place!!! I just love those 'ugly' Christmas sweaters you knit. They're not one bit ugly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ;-) I just hope these "ugly" sweaters stay on-trend for awhile because they take a lot of time to design and create, LOL.

      Delete
  2. Well, I cannot complain about weather :) Yours looks so mild for this time of the year and I am sure you are loving it! I agree, just stick with the fitness routine and the rest falls into place. Merry Christmas Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has really been a pleasant surprise, for the most part (there have been a few crazy windy days in there, on occasion). Fingers crossed January is just as kind to us!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, Merry Christmas to you...and A VERY Happy Solstice ;-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely sweater! I miss knitting, but I barely have the time to paint. Apparently I can only handle one hobby. :)

    Our rain seems never ending this year. It's raining presently. But almost no snow yet.

    Merry Christmas, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love knitting, but just don't make the time for it. This current sweater is going faster than expected, but I'm still gonna be 'late" on getting it done before Christmas....

      Delete
  5. No smooth sailing for me, but I am learning to navigate the choppy waters. :-)

    I’d have to work from home if I overslept by 90 min (which I know is not an option for you). There’s no way I could still make it in on time!

    Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, my commute is less than 10 minutes, IF I hit all the traffic lights just right ;-)

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas, Kim! I hope you achieve your goal of not having to go back to the store, LOL (I have to send my husband out for a few things today, oops.)
    I'm with you- i have to keep up my workouts, otherwise I feel like complete crap. My strength work was also a little lacking this week- it's so hard to fit it all in. But we have our priorities, and you're doing amazing with the streak.
    I love the sweater, and can't even imagine how much time it took to do that (I don't knit.) I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never keep track of the hours of knitting for these sweaters. These take more time, due to all the color changes within the pattern, and require a bit more concentration. But, I usually work on them while watching Christmas movies, LOL, and I can eyeball the pattern as it changes without needing to consult a written pattern (if that makes sense?).

      Delete
  7. Agreed, workouts come first if at all possible. I lose over six hours each way to the farm and was really proud of myself for getting out for my run the day we arrived.

    We stopped at Costco yesterday on the way home from the farm... What. A. Zoo! This morning we went to Wegman's early before it got crazy and it wasn't bad at all. I think (hope) I've purchased everything I need and can (have to) spend the afternoon cooking. ;-)

    Merry Christmas, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the workouts come first...which is why I try to get them done first thing each morning. There's plenty of other distractions, throughout the day (especially this busy time of year), I hate procrastinating the fitness stuff.

      Delete
  8. We had a little snow and ice earlier in the week, but it melted and today I ran in shorts, which is my favorite! I love when Christmas is warmer. We have enough grey/snowy days heading our way in Jan/Feb/March. And agree - running always comes first for me too. I do them early in the morning and then get everything else done throughout the day. If I don't run first-thing it won't happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a warm Christmas, but we had rain (and night crawlers!) this morning...never seen THAT combo before on Christmas morning, LOL!

      Delete
  9. I do love knitting and now I do have time...Your sweater is far from ugly LOL

    No snow here... just lots of rain. (same weather as Judy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were blessed with rain this morning...but, it is MUCH needed.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I didn't know you knit... I just picked out my first sweater project that I am trying to start over the holiday break.... I'll come to you if I get stuck :)
    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing, let me know if you need any guidance ;-) I've been knitting most of my life (I learned when I was in second grade!), so I can practically do it blindfolded, LOL.

      Delete
  11. I can't believe we're almost at year end and it's still so mild! I'll take it! Love the "ugly" collegiate sweater! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how mild it's been, especially these past few weeks!

      Delete
  12. You are such a talented knitter! It looks so great.

    Happy holidays! So glad you had such a fun time at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas! This has been kind of a bizarre year. I love the hustle and bustle, but I also like when people are excited with me and the boys are sort of meh on that front. Although A wrote me the most beautiful card thanking me for all my holiday cheer and that made me feel happy.

    Love all your Christmas spirit and theming! It's all so fun!

    ReplyDelete