Thursday, January 4, 2024

Coffee & more, it's 2024!


Did someone say coffee?

It's been a few weeks since our last gathering, and the temps are ever-so-chilly. I don't know about you, but I'm always game for a get-together, warm mugs in hand, for some friendly camaraderie and conversation.  

Shall we?

If we were gathered, warm mugs in hand, I'd start by recapping my December stats. Don't forget I was busy with my 11th Runner's World Winter Run Streak, so I kept things a bit light in terms of non-running fitness. I'll be recapping the run streak soon, but suffice it to say things went well. My running miles look a bit mediocre, considering I was running on the daily, but that's all part of my strategy (lots of 1-milers and 2-milers in there, LOL). Walking was almost bleak, but biking held its own.

If we were gathered, warm mugs in hand, I'd tell you about my Christmas cactus (which I think may actually be a Thanksgiving cactus). It was in full bloom, around Christmas last year (2022) when I brought it home. It re-bloomed over the summer, and was (again) in full bloom before Thanksgiving. It was looking barren by Christmas. Just this week, though, I noticed several new buds sprouting again.

If we were gathered, warm mugs in hand, I'd stair-fess how much I've missed the cardio rush of the stairway! It's been awhile since I've done a focused stair workout, so this week I got back to it (the Fight for Air Climb is happening April 7th, after all). I intended to ease into the training, with 50 flights...but wound up doing 100 instead (#GoBigOrGoHome). My legs were burning, my heart was pounding, and I was a glistening and glowing mess...but I had a major endorphin buzz when I finished, 27 minutes later.

If we were gathered, warm mugs in hand, I'd admit to a near-absence of push-ups in recent weeks  (months?). After the summer bike crash, my 2-year push-up streak ended (because my wonky shoulder and bruised ribs just weren't having it, LOL). I eventually got back to doing them, but the consistency was gone. I'm hoping to bring back the daily push-up streak in 2024. So far, so good!  

Finally, if we were gathered, warm mugs in hand, I'd share my 2023 end-of-year numbers as well. Even with the dismal December walking, the running mileage wasn't that much greater. With the bike crash (and my subsequent battered body), there were a couple lost weeks of running in June, and almost ZERO running the week of RAGBRAI (end of July), so that accounts for a good chunk of the deficit. No big whoop; it is what it is.



Anyways, those are just a few things I'd bring to the table, if we were gathered. BTW, I'd be drinking a hot hazelnut cappuccino...how about you? 

Your turn... How did 2023 play out for you? Any goals for 2024?

 Since it's the first weekend of the month, I'm linking this with Deborah and Coco for the Ultimate Coffee Date.


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

22 comments:

  1. You are plenty active so no worries about mileage. Sometimes I don't even track walking to save the watch battery. But I always track my runs (even though that's very low).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly. I log the miles, but don't really pay a lot of attention (nor do I care, LOL) about the numbers. It's just interesting to see how all the numbers add up. I only keep track of my intentional walking...if I tracked all the random dog walks (around the block, or just up & down the street), there would be a lot more documented.

      Delete
  2. I’ve been doing lots of push-ups in all the upper body classes I’ve been taking! No stair climbing though.
    Here’s to a great 2024, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The push-ups are an "easy" (or, I should say "accessible") workout anyone can do, almost anywhere. They have a lot of impact!

      Delete
  3. It does seem like they throw a lot of push ups into the Peloton classes so I imagine you do more than you think you do. I don’t normally keep track of walking miles but I could this year! I know you will be excited to get back to the fight for air challenge this year. Happy training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started keeping track of my intentional walks a couple years ago. I was curious just how much walking I was really doing in comparison to just the random "steps" that showed up on my tracker.

      Delete
  4. I feel you on the pushups! I skipped a week in November because of life and it was HARD to start up again. It's like my body just refuses to remember how to do pushups. But the good news is that after a week or so my body snapped back.

    Lately I've been on a cardio kick. I've been doing a really high incline treadmill workout (12% incline, 3 MPH, 30 minutes) and I'm hooked. I've also been hiking which is a lot of incline. All of which to say is...hmm...am I possibly interested in doing the stair challenge this year?????????? It seems like now is the time. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting back to the push-ups was more of a mental challenge, than physical, for me. After the first few days, things felt (sort of) back to normal. I need to do more variations, not only to work the muscles differently, but to make them less boring...

      Delete
  5. Ooh, you may have convinced Birchie to do the stair challenge! Stair climbing is definitely intense cardio.
    I feel like my upper body would be so much stronger if I could figure out a way to do pushups without hurting my wrist. Maybe using dumbbells (like you are in the photo?) I'm going to try it.
    Your yearly totals are impressive even with the time off for injury... and you kept moving no matter what- that's the important thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! My goal is (and has been for several years) daily movement, even while in recovery mode. It's just a way of life now ;-)

      Delete
  6. I don't see any issue with your stats Kim. Nothing dismal about any of it. It's all relative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I should have noted the stats seem " dismal" in comparison to what I knew I was capable of had there not been those injuries or time off (or cold, undesirable weather, LOL).

      Delete
  7. Aww, your Christmas/Thanksgiving cactus is so pretty! :]

    I've been meaning to get back into strength-training recently -- I feel like I've taken a long enough break!!

    I'm all about the hot teas this year! :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies, I pressed enter before I meant to, haha. Massive props on doing 100 flights! I wonder how many I'd make it to...

      Delete
    2. The cactus really makes me smile, and it brightens up the room where it sits ;-)

      Delete
  8. 100 flights is amazing! I love that you'll be doing the Fight for Air Climb again.

    You had some great stats for 2023 even with the time off. Cheers to a great 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michelle!! I'm really looking forward to the Climb (again). Hoping to persuade a few friends to join me...because, why not? ;-)

      Delete
  9. A hot hazelnut cappuccino sounds yummy! You had a great 2023. I love how active you are and not just with running. Hopefully 2024 is even better for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited for all the potential that lies ahead with 2024!

      Delete
  10. That's wonderfully crazy how walking and running are almost identical. Amazing mileage despite the bang ups. When are you doing an NYC climb? :D
    I think you have an all seasons cactus there. :D

    ~ Cari

    ReplyDelete
  11. No matter what, you always make the time to put your fitness first! I love it! Your workouts are always diverse and creative and you see it in your results! Here's to 2024!

    ReplyDelete