Thursday, January 25, 2024

The '24 'Fessions Are Flyin'


Here we are again...

Not only has January 2024 gone quickly, but the monthly trip to the 'fessional is already upon us. Yikes, how did that happen? Oh well, the faster we get through January, the sooner we'll get to summer. 

As per usual, there's always a few 'fessions that need mention. You know the drill...we 'fess the 'fessions, and we move on.

Here goes...

Shall we start with a Milly-fession? 
Remember Milly, my treadmill? Amidst the recent arctic blast, she surprisingly fooled me into thinking she still had some get-up-and-go in her. Only, she abruptly slipped back into hibernation mode a mere 1/2-mile into a reluctant indoor run. Well, a week later (this past Sunday), I whimsically hit her ON button (again) and she (again) lit up...but I didn't appease her this time (#OnceBittenTwiceShy). Besides, the recent warm-up has me wanting to shun her (again).

How about a shovel-fession?
I have spent the past 2-1/2 weeks with the snow shovel, battling the 22+ inches of snow in my expansive driveway. As a result, my entire body has seen a new form of fitness, and my arms and shoulders have been in a constant state of DOMS. Ironically, none of the affected muscles are in distress whilst in action, but as soon as I try to yank off my boots, remove a pullover top, or even grip my toothbrush - Holy Ouch, Batman! That being said, I think I can already see some new muscle definition. Just you wait... once everything has properly recovered, I ought to be looking really buff (LOL).

Here's a weather-warm-up-fession for you...
On Monday, I stepped outside after my early morning bike ride (I'm all about those outdoor selfies, don't forget). WOW! Those 28F temps felt like a preview of spring! It was all I could do to remember that 28F is still sub-freezing.

Can I share a full-moon-fession?
These "warm" temps almost had me in shorts for this week's full moon run. Don't worry, I played it safe and opted for 7/8 tights. I did lose the gloves, though, because those 35F temps (with no wind, BTW) felt like they were 30-degrees warmer. So what if we had a thick fog and cloud cover? I'm grateful for ice-free streets and running friends who are always game to join me (even when the full moon eludes us). 

Finally, I'll share a body-battery-fession with you.
In all honesty, I don't pay much attention to the Body Battery feature on my Garmin. Admittedly, I often question its accuracy. Since I don't wear the Garmin while sleeping, I am skeptical how much it really knows about my state of rest and/or fatigue. That being said, the stats from Monday evening and Tuesday morning are interesting. What's with the 48-point "difference" (-61 vs. -13)? Is that because I fell asleep, for several hours, on the couch before actually calling it a night (and taking the Garmin off before climbing into bed)? Things that make you go Hmmm... 


Well, I guess I've 'fessed enough for now. My  soles have been cleansed, and I am able to move on to February with a clear mind. Onward!

How about you...anything(s) that need 'fessing to the masses?

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up



I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.



By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter


24 comments:

  1. One of these days when I'm on a bike ride on the W&OD Trail I'm going to take a picture of the "huge full moon" the Cruisers and I thought we saw on a foggy morning run many years ago. You'll get a kick out of it!

    So many of those Garmin stats make me go, "Hmmm..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd love to see your "huge full moon!" Sadly, we've seen nothing of it here this month with all the fog.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree even the temps in the teens felt "warm" after our polar blast. I'm not a fan of this sloppy rain and fog though either. So messy! Where's spring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our streets are finally looking pretty dry and clean, but they were a sloppy mess for most of the week.

      Delete
  3. Great work with all that strength training / shoveling! That's such a good (bad?) feeling when you're upper body is shaking like that after a tough workout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh...yes, you could say my body was shaking (at least my arms, LOL) while doing various normally easy tasks.

      Delete
  4. Aw, Milly wants to run with you, she just can’t anymore. ;-)

    My husband did a smidge of shoveling but you would mock us because it only was about 2”!

    It’s supposed to be in the 70s here today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 70's!!!!! I'm crazy jealous of those! I did hear we're supposed to hit 50F next weekend, though ;-)

      Delete
  5. Yes, you're looking pretty buff! There are good things about winter after all.
    i ignore all Garmin stats. I do wear mine at night (it's my morning alarm) but I don't wear it during the day while I'm working, so I figure it's not giving me accurate data anyway.
    Good thing it's warmed up to 28 balmy degrees (?) since your treadmill is broken. Spring is right around the corner ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, those 28F temps really felt warm! After all, that was nearly a 60-degree increase in feels-like conditions!

      Delete
  6. After last Sat's run, the rest of the winter will feel warm

    II don't own a treadmill but I have access at the gym... never used one. I just can't!!!!

    We haven't had a lot of snow just annoying storms and lots of rain. In fact it's raining again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some rain yesterday, and a lot of mist this week. Lots of puddles and slush everywhere...

      Delete
  7. OH poor Milly! Sounds like her tread miles are coming to an end. She was a great partner for a long time! I bet those shoveling workouts were in fact a huge workout! Tank top season watch out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Milly is probably 22+ years old...I'm amazed she still lights-up (on rare occasions).

      Delete
  8. Nice job on the shoveling! It's nice when a task is both useful and contributes to fitness!

    Garmin's body battery stats are spot on, but you do need to wear the watch 24/7. I wear mine all the time and it's extremely accurate. It's even made me change my habits, like going to bed earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shoveling has really been an interesting experience! That's good to know about the body battery stuff. I always take my Garmin off at night, so I guess my stats will never be very accurate, LOL.

      Delete
  9. All that shoveling! No wonder you're sore - but a great workout for sure.

    Poor Milly - sounds like she's trying to hang in there! Do you think you'll try to replace her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milly definitely needs to be replaced, but I have no idea where to even begin. I'll need one with some bells & whistles (to keep it interesting), but I don't want to spend much since I don't plan on using it much.

      Delete
  10. I am completely befuddled by what the body battery is trying to tell me. The numbers are always awful, but it doesn't tell me what to change to make them better. Whatevs.

    We've gone from 0 to 50 for temps and it is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These mid/high 30F temps feel (almost) like summer. I know we're far from consistent warm weather, but it feels great to have a nice reprieve from the past two weeks of arctic conditions.

      Delete
  11. I am with you on the questionable Garmin data. I don't wear mine at night either and I always wonder about the body battery data! I cannot imagine shoveling the snow that you shovel. You should definitely be rewarded with more muscle definition for all of that hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always have snow here, but this was pretty extreme conditions. We had two big snow storm, back-to-back, and a couple of other "small" snowfalls as well. There wasn't any melting in between, so it just kept piling up!

      Delete
  12. I don't wear my Garmin or Apple watch at night (or at least, not to bed), so I know I lose accuracy on some stats for sure. I really don't mind not having that data. That snow shoveling is always a heck of a full body workout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Friends and I were just talking about the data overload and whether we really need to kmow all the numbers. Sad for Milly, so hope it stays "mild" so you donm't need her. 28 doesn't feel as cold as below 25 for whatever reason.

    Cari

    ReplyDelete