Thursday, February 22, 2024

5 'Fessions 4 February


Well, well, well. It's time, once again, for a trip to the 'Fessional.

Even with a bonus day, February seems to have (almost) flown by at record speed. As per usual, the month hasn't been without incident. It only seems fitting that I share a few bits and pieces and 'fess up the deets.

So here goes...

Shall we start with a weather 'fession?
I mean, it is technically still winter (my fourth favorite season). The weather continues to keep me guessing in terms of what's really happening outside, and what gear to wear. Currently, we've been experiencing a "fake spring" interlude. While I dearly love these unseasonably warm temps, I weatherfess it feels like a brutal slap in the face every time Momma N snaps us back to the real seasonal stuff.

layered in fleece and gleaming in shorts
Here's a seasonal 'fession...
The past couple of weeks, I have noticed the slightest hint of a sunrise in the final miles of my early morning #5at5 runs! Although that early morning light will be revoked in a couple of weeks (when we spring ahead with the time change), I know it won't be long before we see even more of it. I runfess that I'm so excited that we'll soon be on the bright side of the equinox! 

Care to hear a flashlight fession?
Speaking of the early morning daylight, following my Thursday morning ride (with Deb), I headed out for a quick cool-down walk. There was enough diminishing darkness (around 6:00AM) that I didn't realize I'd left my Knuckle Lights at home until I saw them glowing through the window upon my return. Oops. 

I even had turned them on...

I simply must share a stair-climbing 'fession...
Seeing as I'm in training for the Fight for Air Climb (April 7th, in Des Moines), I'm hitting the stairs pretty hard on a weekly basis these days. I'll come clean and stair-fess that I'm mixing it UP (see what I did there, LOL) this time around with my workouts. Although I'm still doing sessions of 100 flights each time, I'm doing varying intervals of single-step flights and double-step flights. I would compare these stair intervals to speed intervals, as one would do while running, but with the element of climbing (similar to hill sprints). Fun stuff, right? (side note: if interested in supporting the American Lung Association, my Fight for Air Climb fundraising page is HERE).   

Finally, I'll humbly share a memory 'fession.
Leaving work the other day, I got all the way home before realizing I'd left my phone at my desk. In my defense, I had my hands and both arms full of stuff and didn't think to put my phone in my purse. Big mistake. By the time I'd raced across town, back to the office, everyone else had left for the day. Thankfully, I had a key to get in, though I had never used it before and was a little scared if it would work (I'm never the first person there, nor the last to leave). Whew, was that a relief! It was a scary reminder of how dependent we are on our phones, for so many things. Seldom do we (or at least myself) even take the time to memorize the phone numbers of friends or family anymore. Had I not had a (working) key to get in, I would have had to spend the evening with no one to talk to, LOL.

reunited, and it feels so good!

Alrighty then. I'm all 'fessed-up and good for a few more weeks. 

Surely, I'm not the only one...anyone have some good 'fessions to share? Weather confusion? Daylight fondness? Forgotten flashlights or phones?

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

21 comments:

  1. I feel like I've barely worn my winter coat this year. A vest is plenty on most days and this week with temps in the 60s I've skipped a coat entirely. A crazy February for sure but I'm enjoying every second of it. It must have been weird to go back to the office alone. I'd have to turn off all the alarms, which makes me uneasy because I fear slipping up, but it gets done. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I love my puffer vests, and they have seen more action than my coat as well.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that time of year when I finally start seeing the sunrise on my early morning runs! Love how you are changing up your stair workouts. My phone automatically connects to my car when I start it so that is when I realize if I have left my phone in my office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunrise is SO welcome after several months of "darkness."

      Delete
  3. I’m noticing the morning light too!

    I would be lost without my phone, especially since I have my office key-card stuck in the case. I’m pretty obsessive about making sure I have it, but I did walk out of the office without it a few weeks ago — I realized it before I got to far but then had to have someone call my phone to find where it was hiding in my office — under a piece of paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually just carry my phone in my hand (instead of stuffing it in my purse), but it totally was forgotten with all the other stuff I had to carry. It'll be a long time before I forget it again, though!

      Delete
  4. I would be lost without my phone too! Confession I was looking all around for mine the other day and it was in my pocket lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the memes that say "I was looking for my phone, and using it's flashlight to do so," LOL!

      Delete
  5. Spring-like temps are in the forecast for this the week ahead and I'm so here for it! Even though this winter has been more mild than most, I'm just over it!

    AT&T had that big outage yesterday leaving so many people without working phones - I would be so lost without mine! Thankfully mine connects the minute I get in my car so I never get too far without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're looking at high-60's on Monday! It's gonna plummet back to winter for a few days, but is supposed to warm up again afterwards. CRAZY!

      Delete
  6. I never get far without my phone- mainly because as soon as I get in the car I would notice my podcast isn't playing! I have left it at work a couple times, but noticed it while I was still in the parking lot.
    I'm LOVING the daylight in the morning now! I don't want to turn the clocks ahead (do we have to???)
    Intervals are the way to go for most workouts- I've been throwing in intervals on the bike this week to keep myself sane. Hoping that I can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind turning the clocks, because I know within just a few weeks we'll be back to more daylight anyways. At least it seems like it doesn't take long ;-)

      Delete
  7. oops! Hoping that I can join you in some flights when I graduate from the bike to stair climber SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry not sorry to say that I have ADORED the mild winter. Between the hiking challenge and the puppy I've spent A LOT of time outside and wowza it would have been a completely different scene in years past.

    I don't have to worry about leaving my phone anywhere since I use it to listen to podcasts in the car, but sometimes I worry about losing it in the house. I keep it in silent mode during the day for work and also at night at lot so that it doesn't startle said puppy. I feel like sooner or later it's going to fall under a couch cushion or into some nook or cranny and I won't be able to find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall, I agree it's been a very mild winter, and I have loved it as well. It seems like we had all of our "real" winter crammed into just a couple weeks in January...

      Delete
  9. You know that I am all about the winter over here. Yes, it's cold, but it feels so much better than humid summer. I do love the daylight (when it's cold), but I'll be grateful for darker mornings when the heat kicks up. That sun can broil a person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, we're kinda polar opposites on our weather preferences ;-)

      Delete
  10. Yes I am so dependent on my phone I've had to go home several times because I forgot it. I hate winter too. It hasn't been a bad one but after returning from Florida, I am cold in the 40s. Loving the extra daylight after work... that's when I like to run when it's cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the last time I forgot my phone at work was the day before our century ride (July 2022), and I definitely needed it for that! I got lucky that day as well getting back in, LOL.

      Delete
  11. I must 'fess that I've already forgotten the runfession I came up with during our virtual workout on Thursday morning. If you remember it, text it to me so I can add it to my notes for my next runfessions post.

    ReplyDelete