Saturday, February 17, 2024

Just Chillin' (but not too much)


There was a tad bit of chillin' going on this week.

It's still (somewhat) the off-season, so I'm keeping the mileage steady (as opposed to excessive). The late-winter weather continues to be unseasonably mild, so I'm getting outside without excess layers. And, I am gearing-up for my first race of 2024 (Leprechaun Chase 10K, March 2nd, Omaha NE), so I'm not excessively keeping a low profile.

All in all, I'm keeping things in a desirable balance...I think...

Before I divulge the deets of the week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)



Anyways, here's what went down in my little world of fitness and fun this week:

An action-packed SUNday.
The day was so bright, I had to wear shades (at least for the post-stairclimb selfie). What happened this week, on the stairs? I'm glad you asked:

**20 flights (double-stepped)
**10 flights (single-stepped
**20 flights (doubles, again)
**10 flights (singles, again)
***30-second recovery***
**20 flights (doubles)
**20 flights (singles)

There also was an easy-paced 2-mile run, late morning...just because. Then, it was off to some out-of-town shenanigans, and a Super Bowl game watch.


Never miss a Monday.
Kick-starting the week with a slight mixing-it-up twist, I did a chest-focused strength session (after a 4-mile warm-up ride as my "caffeine" of choice). There also was a core workout thrown in for good measure.

After work, I donned the Mardi Gras tights for a post-workday 3-mile run. Can I just say I'm loving all the late-afternoon daylight?

A typical low-impact Tuesday.
This may have been a low-impact day (on paper), but things were feeling pretty high-intensity but the time I finished. There were four miles on the elliptical (sort of a warm-up), then 10 minutes of lower-body-focused Barre and 10 minutes of upper-body strength (light weights/high reps). Let's just say it wound up being a substantial full-body burner. Never discount what can happen in 20 minutes! The pleasant weather had me logging four cumulative miles of walking (two 1-milers at work, and a 2-miler in the evening).


Double Workout Wednesday.
The three musketeers (Barb, Allison, and myself) reunited for our first 3-person #5at5 for 2024! Although the temps stayed pleasant and sunny throughout the day, the wind was another story. Nonetheless, Michele and I got out for a couple of walks at work. Also, the bike was feeling lonely (and unloved on Valentines Day, LOL), so "he" and I spent 12 miles together in the evening. 

Another Thankful Thursday.
Holy Return To Winter, Batman! It was cold and windy (not to mention dark) in the early hours, so I was back on the bike for the weekly cardio hour of power with Deb (15 miles of pedaling).


After we'd parted (virtual) ways, I cued-up a couple of Tunde's workouts (via Peloton). The first was a shoulder-focused upper-body extravaganza, and the other was a repeat of a core workout I'd done the previous week. Later, at work, Michele and I fought the wind for a 1-mile walk in the bright mid-afternoon sunshine. 


A very frigid Friday.
I think we all knew winter wasn't officially over, but it sure did keep us in suspense as it staged its abrupt return. My best defense when Momma N plays a nasty joke (such as this) is to simply laugh with her. After a 5-mile elliptical session, it only seemed fitting to call her bluff and embrace a quick cryotherapy fix, in the sub-freezing, snow-laden wonderland outside. After procrastinating all day, I finally got out, after work, for a quick 1-mile walk to keep the daily #OptOutside streak alive. BRRR!


Stuck inside (sort of) Saturday.
Barb and Allison and I had tentative plans for a morning run, contingent on the weather, but we decided (upon wake-up) to take a pass. So, what's a gal to do? Summon the bike, that's what! Besides, I'd seen there was a 40K Garmin biking badge up for grabs. Problem solved. I did get out for a 2-mile walk, around lunch time since the temps had risen to a balmy 20F (with a 7F feels-like in the 12mph wind).


...and what's happening on Sunday?
The temps are still looking cold (sub-freezing, but at least not sub-ZERO), so I might venture out for a short run. Or, I might do some stair-climbing. Or, I just might do both. Stay tuned!

Overall not a bad week, all things considered. Running started off strong, but kind of tanked when the weather turned so cold so quickly (10 miles). Walking also started off strong, but the frigid temps brought that to a near halt as well (10 miles). Biking continues to hold its own (56 miles this week). The elliptical is seeing a little more action, and I'm mixing-up those workouts by doing intervals of "back pedaling," which utilizes different muscles (quads and calves vs. glutes and hamstrings).

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. I couldn't decide if it was also Flannel Friday or Match-Your-Boots-to-Your-Puffer Day. Nonetheless, it was cold and windy! Although the wind remained vigilant all day, most of the snow was gone by noon, so there's that. I know we didn't get as much snow as other parts of the state (and country) got, so I'm grateful for that.


Caitlin Clark. Anyone who has heard of NCAA basketball, these past couple years, has probably heard of this powerhouse player. She's a native Iowan, and a senior on the University of Iowa women's team. Just this week, she surpassed Kelsey Plum as the having the most career points in women's NCAA history...3,569 points thus far, and the season is far from over! The Iowa women's team have really brought women's sports into the main stream, and are selling out arenas everywhere they go. Go Hawks!

Caitlin with head coach, Lisa Bluder

Finally, can I give a mention of the crazy roller coaster weather we've had in recent months? December was mild (and dry). January was mild, then extremely cold and snowy and windy for about two weeks, then mild (again). February has been unseasonably warm, then abruptly pivoted to arctic-like temps these past few days. Now, this next week is looking rather spring-like. Did you catch all that? Trying to remember how to dress for all these different conditions is exhausting, LOL.


Anyways, we made it through another week, and we're another week closer to spring (and summer!).

How are things in your world? Anyone else have abrupt return-to-winter weather ridiculousness this  week? 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

26 comments:

  1. We've been on the same weather roller coaster here, but we did manage to dodge the snow. It's the little things, right? Another nice week of workouts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got winter back this weekend -- it was cold and we got SNOW! Hopefully the week ahead will warm it up and melt it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah we've had that same weather but overall I think we're more mild than usual so I'm grateful for that. I too am loving the growing daylight. Nice job on the workouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's been way more mild than typical, so I'm grateful as well ;-)

      Delete
  4. I am sure it was great to get back to your 5 at 5 w your pal Barb. WE have had a lot of weather ups and downs as well. Back to super cold this weekend. Looks like a great week all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It warmed up some today, and is looking to be much better this next week. I'm ready for it!

      Delete
  5. Great job on your workouts last week. Those stair climbs look intense! We've had somewhat of a weather rollercoaster as well with two snows this week scattered among sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, we've had an unusual winter here as well- for us, that's a good thing because we can use a break from the incessant heat. Apparently I don't know how to dress for the weather either (as you'll see if you read my weekly rundown!)
    It sounds like you had a good week! You've got enough options to cope with any kind of weather. And, you've reminded me that I need to start watching women's basketball. My daughter has complained that I only watch men's sports- she's right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those tights! I have not tried any of Tunde’s arms and light weights classes, I may have to try one this week! Congrats on the 40K badge, that is awesome! It is so cold here as well. I managed to get out for a run this morning and am still trying to warm up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tunde is one of my favorites!!! I love her personality, but she also throws together awesome short & intense workouts which fit my timeframe well.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I love your Mardi Gras tights! They are so fun!

    There was hype that we’d get “real” snow Friday night (2-4”) but there was barely a dusting on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get much snow, but just enough to warrant an unwelcome eyeroll upon wake-up...

      Delete
  9. Great week Kim! Love the Mardi Gras celebratory tights. Those upcoming temps look fab! Spring is on its way :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great week as always! How annoying with the return of winter weather. I'm almost ashamed to say that today we had crazy warm weather, it was almost like a cooler summer day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the 2-weekk reprieve form winter, the past few days were rather cruel and cold!

      Delete
  11. The snow was quite a surprise in our town on Friday! And made for a slippery run for Saturday morning. Our forecast has several 50 degree days coming up, so that should be nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This next week is going to feel tropical after the last few days...bring it!!

      Delete
  12. I'm in awe as usual. I'm behind with my blogs so have missed a few weeks and here you are, doing your strength training and running as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those stair workouts are always fire, Kim! We have had colder weather than normal this year. Yes, we have a few warmer days here and there, but it's been frosty. I like it and I'm going to miss it when the heat and humidity come back. The Leprechaun chase will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Leprechaun Chase is always a lot of fun! I look forward to that race every year ;-)

      Delete