Saturday, October 19, 2019

STOP! Taper Time


...and the Taper goes on...

I am not one to dread the Taper. In fact, I look forward to it with bated breath (quite literally LOL) with every training cycle. It's like a small reward for all the hard work that's gone into the race I've been training for.

That said, things have been a little different this go-round. Much like the training itself has been different in terms of long-run-schedule-juggling (more so than I ever have before), this Taper has thrown me for a bit of a loop as well. I'm still enjoying the Taper, but just this week I experienced a subtle taste of burnout...in terms of weather (ahem, #wind #cold #rain) and not wanting to exert any extra effort in making workouts happen in said weather.

But, first things first...

Welcome to the Weekly Run Down! I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner). If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 1:00 (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)



Here's what went down this past week:

Monday - #recovery #shakeout #cool&crisp
You all know I'm not a fan of cold temps. It was 32F when I headed out...quite cold, yes, but when the wind is MIA, it's actually quite tranquil and nice.There also was a full moon, and I had all the streets to myself. Since I had run a fast 10K the day prior, though, I wanted to take things slow and easy with this run. Let's not forget I'm also tapering, so I called it good with two miles.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, night and outdoor
never miss a Monday!
Tuesday - #activerest #moonlit #windblown
After a refreshing 24-hour reprieve, the wind was back in full action by Tuesday. Momma N just won't cut us Iowans a break. Thankfully, the temps weren't too cold. A couple of power-walked miles in the hilly 'hood in the early morning and 30 minutes with Ellie (remember her? My elliptical?) before lights out that evening.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling                   Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

Wednesday - #5at5 #windblown #again
Barb and I met up for our weekly 5-miler at 05:00. Guess what? It was windy, again. Honestly, I'm really trying to enjoy the autumn season, but it has felt more like winter in my area. And as for the never-ending wind...I can't decide if I prefer a steady wind to battle or intermittent blasts of the arctic-like air. Truth be told, I really don't like either.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

Thursday - #odarkthirtycrew #freezing #literally #triplethreat
Temps were 32F at 5:30 on Thursday. Thankfully, the crazy wind was a no-show (I heard it escaped to the east coast LOL). Another 2-mile hike in the 'hood, and I didn't need any caffeine to feel fully awake and alert. As luck would have it, though, the wind did return in the afternoon (but not as intense as it had been earlier in the week). I had a grandiose plan of saddling up Gustavas (remember him? The bike I've been neglecting recently?). The wind was just strong enough that the six miles weren't very enjoyable (#buzzkill). I also did a short 15-minute arm/shoulder workout in the evening (because I have been slacking on strength-training, too).

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and shoes

Friday -  #windblown #yetagain #thisisgettingold
I've been doing a lot of Friday runs, usually fairly short in mileage. I'd thought of doing four miles, but as soon as I felt the wind, my enthusiasm went south. The temps weren't bad at 45F (40F feels-like with the wind), but the wind has really outworn its welcome. It seems like I have had to battle the wind on (almost) a daily basis and it's not even winter yet (according to the calendar). Anyways, within the first half mile, I made a command decision to run three miles instead of the planned four. Honestly, at this stage of training (umm, #tapering), one less mile is not gonna make or break my race day. Ironically, the run went alright (my energy was fine, no aches, no frustrations), but the run was a bit on the "meh" side and I had no guilt in finishing early.
Image may contain: 1 person, standing, shoes, night and outdoor
Is this burnout?
Saturday - #justwalking #lotsofwalking
With the IMT Des Moines Half Marathon on tap for Sunday, I thought it best to save my legs from any excess wear and tear. I walked a bit in the early morning, then the hubby and I headed to Iowa City for the University of Iowa Homecoming game. While there, we did all sorts of walking...back and forth to different tailgate gatherings, climbing hills, descending hills, over gravel paths, and through the rain (post-game). All told, almost five total miles logged for the day.

Image may contain: one or more people



Sunday - #raceday
Not much to say as this post goes live...temps are forecast to be in the 40's at race start and climbing throughout the morning for the IMT Des Moines Half Marathon. This will be my eighth time running the 13.1! I'm still second-guessing my outfit (as seems to be the trend, via many of the other runners on Insta LOL). Check back...I'll update this post after the finish line.
Image may contain: shoes
I may or may not add a thin long-sleeved top to the mix...
***UPDATE*** The race went well...2:04:14 was my finish time. Things felt great, the weather wound up being picture-perfect (mid-40F's and sunny skies), and my splits were pretty consistent and steady. Onward!

So, that's what has been happening. All told, the running miles capped out at 23(+/-), which includes the half marathon. Walking had around 13 miles (a few more will probably be added Sunday afternoon, as a means of recovery following the race). Biking? Well, not much (six miles #whomp #whomp). I did add a good 30-minutes of cardio, via the elliptical, and a short upper-body strength workout. As mentioned, the mojo wasn't quite on-point this week. I have been scaling back the running miles, and getting more rest, but it is a weird change of reality when one is used to being more active. I find it ironic that I almost feel more tired from NOT working out (as intensely) during this Taper. And, the weather has really been a buzzkill...my motivation to get outside has not been very strong. But, this is Taper, so I'm alright with the lighter activity. Glass half full.

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:
No Breaking  My Stride
Run for the Roses 10K
Autumn 2019: What's on Tap

In other news:
Friday Fashion Flair...Most know I'm a fan of cheetah print. It's one of those prints that's a classic, but it's really been trending in recent years. One thing I really appreciate about it is the fact that it showcases both black and brown, which gives you lots of options in pairing it with other colors. It looks just as bright and bold alongside its own (solid) colors as well. Now, that's a win-win! You're always welcome to join me on Fridays on Instagram...post a pic of a featured outfit, grab the hashtag (#FridayFashionFlair) and tag me (@runningonthefly).

Another epiphany I had this week involves my time with Gustavas. I really grew to love bike riding in recent months. There's no doubt the positive effect it has had on my training as well as my recovery in between my long runs. But as the weather has grown cold (rather abruptly), the rides have gotten shorter and much less frequent. Thursday's ride was anything but enjoyable in the cold wind. We have a stationary bike, but I have serious doubts I will get much satisfaction from using it. I like being outside, and actually going places (which is why I dread the treadmill so much). I have to believe it will be a similar scenario with an indoor bike. But, do stay tuned...I will give it a fair effort before I completely dismiss it as an indoor alternative.
Image may contain: 1 person, shoes, tree, outdoor and nature

And finally, I mentioned this weekend was Homecoming at the University of Iowa. The hubby and I both are proud Iowa Hawkeye alumnae and were able to get tickets to the football game (Iowa hosted Purdue). Our son is also a Hawkeye (on track to graduate in December with a degree in Finance). We did have some rain to endure (like, for most of the second half of the game), but it's always a fun time in Kinnick Stadium. As a bonus, the Hawks won!
Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

And, while in Kinnick Stadium, there's the famous Iowa Wave at the end of the first quarter. A new tradition (started two years ago), the crowd, players (from both teams) and the officials all take a few minutes to wave to the kids at the Stead Family Children's Hospital, which overlooks the stadium. It's quite a beautiful thing, and gets me teary-eyed every single time.
Image may contain: one or more people, crowd, stadium, football and outdoor

Anyways, that's the latest! Another week of Taper is done, and I have one week until the Marine Corps Marathon. This next week will be all about keeping things on the down-low. I fly out early Friday morning for all the MCM festivities and the race is on Sunday (October 27th).

How was your week? Crazy cold weather for you, too? Have you had an unusual amount of wind? Did you race this weekend?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

40 comments:

  1. Yeah, we got your wind. It was crazy and forced me inside Wednesday as I was terrified of slipping on wet leaves.
    That wave is amazing - and the Minnesota team wearing Eric LeGrand shirts. I <3 college football.
    Love how your knuckle lights looked on the purple tights Monday. You're going to do amazing today/next Sunday! Test running a belt for the new phone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a different belt that works, it's just not my favorite. I wore my HipSister today (like a Flip Belt) and it worked alright. Not my favorite option, either, but doable.

      Delete
    2. Yay, glad you have a solution.
      I don't love mine either, but it will do. I'm going to look into a flip belt for winter/spring halfs when I don't have to be about carrying water

      Delete
  2. we've had crazy weather...Tues night into Thursday. I was lucky to squeeze in a run Tues before the ran and Thursday after.

    Tapering with a half marathon. That's something I would do LOL

    But not with my FIRST full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I'm sure a lot of people are rolling their eyes at me, but I know my body and I have the common sense to run smart (and not "race" for a PR) with the marathon seven days away ;-)

      Delete
  3. Happy taper time! I hope today's half went well.

    Monday and Tuesday were both warm and gorgeous here, but we got your wind and rain all day Wednesday. It was super windy on Thursday. Yesterday was nice and today it's rainy again.

    I love your Hawkeye's wave tradition. It's one of the best in college football. Congrats to your team for winning on homecoming. We hosted UNC for homecoming yesterday and it took us six OT's to win. Yes, six!

    Looking forward to seeing you on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SIX OT's???? That's crazy! But the win happened, so it was worth the extended playing time ;-) I'm looking forward to our reunion, too ;-)

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the half. Actually, I guess it's over by now. Hope it went well for you. I had to postpone my taper for a week. With all the traveling we did, I had to do my final 20-miler on Monday, less than 2 weeks before MCM. I don't usually like to do such a long run so close to the marathon, but well...life! :)

    I cancelled a planned short run this morning due to rain. Ugh! I used to be tougher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad thing passing on a rainy run this close to race day, though! I was worried sitting in the rain at the football game yesterday, but the temps were (somewhat) warm and the rain was barely above a mist...so all was well.

      Delete
  5. Happy taper and hope the half is going well right now!! I hate the wind, too. We've not had too much of it this time, fortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a great half marathon today. That's such a confidence booster going into MCM next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KIM!! It was a huge confidence boost...I just ran steady and strong ;-)

      Delete
  7. Yes your wind did come pay us a visit for a few days. We booted it right out! You had a crazy busy few days. Glad to hear the race went well! Can't wait to see you next weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had some wind this week too. Thursday morning in Cleveland it was so windy, I was scared to run outside. I did and even passed a down tree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woo hoo congrats on a great half! I can't believe how drastically different the weather is around the country, we're holding in the 40's for lows and dry. I have to say that running in wind gets really old really fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really detest the wind, even more than cold temps. It takes so much more effort to sustain even mediocre results #ugh

      Delete
  10. Winter here is usually pretty darn windy. Friday's long run was windy, but it really wasn't that bad. I have the luxury of starting later in the day, although I have a lot of appointments this coming week, another road trip to my parents, so squeezing in runs will be interesting.

    Congrats on another strong half! Sometimes I am more tired when I haven't been as active, but sometimes I need more rest than I take, too. It's hard to find that sweet spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is a challenge to find that sweet spot. I know my body is probably a lot more tired than it feels...so I'm glad to be going light on the miles and heavy (somewhat LOL) on the sleep ;-)

      Delete
  11. Well rounded week Kim- and busy! Amazing!

    Yay for taper time! I'm excited to hear about your Marine Corp experience - coming up so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your half! Your training has gone so well! Can't wait to see you this weekend and cheer you on for MCM!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was just a tad windy here in NH on Thursday...so much that we lost power. Even though my running buddy and I moved our run to the afternoon, we were still fighting the wind around every corner. And the wave...that is so nice! Got me teary eyed thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wave is really neat! The first time I saw it, it was on tv. Then, I got to experience it in person, and was a blubbering idiot. Seeing the kids wave back is pretty emotional.

      Delete
  14. Just like that it's MCM race week for you! How exciting. Congrats on a strong half. A total confidence builder. That waving tradition is so precious, I'd be teary too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcia! Yes, today's half was a great confidence builder...now, if we can just get the same kind of weather conditions in DC...

      Delete
  15. Congrats on the half and a great week of workouts. You had great race temps today! Our race was in the 50s and 60s by the time I finished. I was surprised how many people I saw in long sleeves and tights. Hope they weren't running the full because it was in the 70s 4 hours into it I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's temps were chilly in the first mile, then perfect from there-on. I wish that could happen at every race LOL

      Delete
  16. Congrats on your half! I ran the Detroit Free Press Half Marathon today and it is a great race. You should definitely run it one day. Oh and 32 degrees is ideal weather but with NO wind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The wind was crazy here this week too - made me glad I was taking some time off from running!

    Congrats on a strong half! You are so ready for MCM - I'm excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. Yes, the wind had perfect timing for you!

      Delete
  18. I will take your cold! Seriously I'm so over the heat down here I'm having the same motivation problems as you with cold. It'll get nice for like a day or two and then go back to being humid and hot. This mornings race was 80 degrees at 6am! I'd swap that crap for 42 any day. :-/

    Congrats on your half! Seems like it was great conditions and you ran well! That's all we can ever ask for, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...race day conditions are a crap shoot, so I was thankful they were favorable today ;-)

      Delete
  19. The Iowa Wave is so great! I love it! Do the kids in the childrens' home know so they can look out and watch? That would be even better.

    I hate the wind! It takes nice weather and makes it miserable! We have been having a lot of wind too lately, though ours are Santa Anas, and so hot and dry they suck all the water right out of you.

    I'm glad you had a good race! I'm looking forward to the recap.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job with that race! It's nice that the weather turned out ok for race day :) Fingers crossed for good weather for MCM too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I definitely think that your wind from earlier in the week came this way by the end of the week! But luckily its gone now. I also enjoy fall if it actually feels like fall...haha. Congrats on your half and enjoy the rest of your taper!

    ReplyDelete