Sunday, October 6, 2019

Weathering the Week


Momma N was in quite a mood this week.

We were treated to the heat and humidity of summer. There was a fair amount of wind and rain. And, we flirted with winter-like temps as well.

It would be nice if she could just pick a lane.

But enough about the weather already...


Welcome to the Weekly Run Down! I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner). If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 1:00 (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)

Here's the run down on what happened this past week:

Monday - Flashback to summer!
After a mileage-heavy weekend (17-mile run on Saturday and 5-mile Mollie Tibbitts tribute run on Sunday), my body was dog tired. Nothing was achy or sore, but things definitely were tired. I kept the #nevermissaMonday run to a simple two miles, though I would have loved to have gone longer in the summer-like temps! After work, in anticipation of a rainy Tuesday, I also went for a 10ish mile bike ride with Michele.
Image may contain: 2 people

Tuesday - here comes the rain again
Rain was in the forecast, so I went to bed Monday evening with the plan of an elliptical workout happening. Well, the forecast rain was MIA...so I went for 2-mile power walk instead. All of that forecast rain? It didn't make an appearance until late in the afternoon, and then it dumped 4 inches of rain on us in a matter of a couple hours.
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

Wednesday - #5at5
Cool temps, damp streets and a lovely breeze (NOT!)...how does that sound for a setting? The weekly early morning 5-miler went well, despite the chilly, humid and foggy air.  In the evening, I also did 20 minutes of elliptical sweating before lights out.
Image may contain: one or more people

Thursday - "misted" out
The early morning temps weren't uncomfortable (51F), so I headed outside with the intention of a 2-mile power walk through the hilly 'hood. Only there was a rather heavy mist in the air. It resembled swirling snow under the street lights. After the first mile, I bailed...I headed back inside, dried my hair (briefly), changed into dry shoes and fired up Milly. UGH. It had been a long time since I'd even looked at her (she's my treadmill, BTW). I set the speed at 4.5, put the incline on 3 and had at it. Granted that's a pretty fast-paced walk, but it felt just like old times - painfully slow and horribly boring.
Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

Friday - early autumn or early winter???
With an 8-hour road trip on the agenda (to Ann Arbor, for the Iowa vs. Michigan game), Friday morning was my only option for a long run. I took the day off from work, and was out the door by 5:30...suited up in winter-like gear. The temps were 41F when I left the house (#BRRRR). For the first time in several days, there was no precipitation and a clear sky. I don't think I've ever had to wear a stocking hat (or a flannel-lined base layer) for a long run, and didn't know how that would fare for 18 miles. It turns out that I had the layers nailed with perfection. Some of the middle miles got a little strenuous, and I honestly didn't know if I'd have the mojo to do all 18 (and would have been content to cut it short at 15 miles, or even 13). Once I got to 15, though, I got my second wind and was able to finish all 18! Oorah!
Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

Saturday - a (hilly) shakeout run pre-game
Good morning, Ann Arbor! After more than eight hours in the car (with several rest stops for walking/stretching/foam rolling), we arrived in Michigan late Friday evening.  After we found parking, Saturday morning, I hit the streets for a 2-mile shakeout run while the hubby (and our son and family friend, Paul) got the tailgate stuff organized. It was fun seeing all the tents set up along the streets near Michigan Stadium (also known as the Big House), and several fellow Iowa Hawkeye fans clapped, cheered and high-5'd me as I ran by. An awkward fork in the road, though, took me a little out of my way. I was able to navigate my way back, but an extra mile got added to my "short" run in the process. OOPS. Thankfully, all things felt good considering the previous day's 18-miler and long car ride (as well as the somewhat hilly route I wound up running).
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, shoes, sky, cloud and outdoor

Sunday - the reality check
After the whirlwind trip to Michigan (oh, and that 18-miler on Friday LOL), my mind and body said a big "No way!" to running. My hip flexors felt a bit grumpy and my mind was a bit foggy from lack of sleep. I got out for a refreshing 3-mile power walk before church, though, and things felt much better (body and mind). It's hard to say farewell to Summer, but the breezy 44F temps certainly gave me some perspective...the sunrise is still beautiful (even if it's happening later and later), and I do have quite a colorful collection of fleece jackets and pompom hats. I'll be just fine.
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, shoes, sky, outdoor and nature

So, the week of roller-coaster-like weather played out alright. It was a constant guessing game on whether I'd be running (or  on what day), and if so...how far? That said, the mileage worked itself out. Running miles came in at 28. Walking was a bit lack luster (thanks to all the rain), and totaled out around 12. Biking, also a victim of the weather, ended at 10 (but there may be a ride happening Sunday afternoon). I'm on the fence about doing one more long-long run this next weekend. I'm quite content with Friday's 18, so getting in that "20-mile-benchmark" run is not a priority. Besides, I'm doing a 10K next Sunday, so a shorter long run will serve me just as well.

In case you missed out, here's what all went down on the blog:
Peaking out the Mileage
Favorite Features of Favorite Races
Coffee Talk? Chai Chat? Call it what you will

In other news:
Friday Fashion Flair. We all know I  love summer, and I wear the white skinny jeans at least once a week. I actually wear them year-round (white is a color after all, and doesn't need to be showcased only in the summer months). Since it's officially the autumn season, I mixed in the red and black buffalo plaid with all the white. What do you think? As always, you can join me on Instagram on Fridays...post a pic of a featured outfit, grab the hashtag (#FridayFashionFlair) and be sure to tag me (@runningonthefly).


#Pushuptober Challenge
It's been awhile since I've done a monthly challenge. Somehow, in the midst of everything else, I've been slacking on doing routine push-ups, so I'm doing them on the daily for October. I'm only doing 10/day, so I can focus on my form without over-doing it. Care to join me?
Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

September miles
No doubt, my September saw plenty of action. Marathon training will do that to you, right? This is the highest mileage I've had in a long time, even higher than some of my high-mileage months last year when I was training for the Cannonball Marathon. Take a good look, because you will not see that kind of mileage again for 2019.
Image may contain: one or more people and text

Iowa vs. Michigan football game!
We lived in the East Lansing area for several years, but I never made it over to Ann Arbor for a football game. The hubby is on a quest to visit all the Big Ten football stadiums (not all in the same year, thankfully), so we road-tripped to Michigan this weekend. We did our best to cheer on our Iowa Hawkeyes, but unfortunately we did not cheer loud enough. I'll just leave it at that. But, we still had a great time seeing the Big House (where the Michigan Wolverines have kicked a lot other opponents' buttocks as well).


So, there you have it! Another week done, and another week closer to the MCM start line.  How did your week play out? Crazy weather as well? Any significant races coming up? Have you been to the Big House?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

54 comments:

  1. Not happy to see you in wool hats. It was just summer a few days ago.

    I love warm weather.

    It was easier to run but HATE the darkness in the am and after work.

    Glad to see your training going so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a bit bummed to be in a winter hat as well LOL I don't know why the colder temps can't just ease in instead of arriving overnight...

      Delete
  2. It's crazy how quickly fall hit!

    You are a dedicated football fan..that's a long drive :)

    Great week for you, excited for your marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love football! We day-tripped it to the Minnesota/Iowa game last year ;-)

      Delete
  3. I had to chuckle at your "pick a lane" comment - Mother N was truly all over the place this week!

    Great job getting your long run done on Friday - You had another great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle ;-) I'm thankful it worked out getting that long run done Friday morning. The crazy weather actually played in my favor that day.

      Delete
  4. We had a crazy weather week as well here. Can't believe you are in a winter hat already!! Way to get your long run in on Friday. Seems like people in the midwest drive a lot and far! I don't think I would drive 8 hours for a football game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in the Midwest, entertaining venues are few and far between ;-) And, the hubby and I LOVE football, so the drive isn't a big deal (other than me and my long legs being cramped in the back seat).

      Delete
  5. Ouch, I cannot imagine an 8 hour car ride after 18 miles, if you can do that AND run 3 miles the next day you're ready for anything that a marathon could throw at you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha!!! Let's hope so! I had thought of napping this afternoon...stay tuned, that still hasn't happened LOL

      Delete
  6. It's fall, y'all, and the weather is wild! Good thing we're used to that, right? We have a saying here in Chicago, if you don't like the weather, wait, because it will change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I think we all say that about the weather in the Midwest. Probably why I never trust my weather apps...because neither are seldom on-point due to the constant erratic weather.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the 18 miler! Yup, those 2 extra miles won't make a distance for you -- especially not with all the cross training you do!

    We actually had a hard freeze yesterday morning. It did turn into a beautiful day . . . eventually.

    Sounds like you had a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were forecast for a "slight" freeze, but it didn't happen ((yet)). It has been in the low-40's, though...

      Delete
  8. We had some hot and cold and rainy days here too this week. Thank goodness we didn't have all four seasons (no snow!) but it still felt like a schizophrenic week. Nice job getting it all in anyway. And I love that you've named your treadmill (and Millie is perfect ... I may have to borrow that :)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I named the treadmill a couple of years ago, in an effort to make peace with her (but it didn't work LOL).

      Delete
  9. Oh bless you in your woolly hat! I had some wild weather down on the coast this week, blowing a real storm, giving me a salt scrub facial and trying to blow me sideways! Fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind is probably one of the more difficult weather-related element that I dread. It can make for such a tough go at it if it's right in your face.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I hope all your hip flexors need is an easy day! I don't remember how to dress for cold weather running. We finally have fall, but it's still in the 60s at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they'll be fine with a day off. I'm pretty sure all that car riding didn't do them any recovery favors.

      Delete
  11. So this week we have gone through all 4 seasons, lol. Momma N was really in rare form, that's for sure!
    Awesome job getting your long run done before a great weekend in Ann Arbor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! Even had we not gone road-tripping, Saturday was full of rain and storms all day, so Friday would have been my best option regardless. Rain had been in today's forecast, but that got changed over the weekend. Now it's just cold and damp outside. YUCK.

      Delete
  12. Love the white pants and that top! I've got a 10K coming up on Sunday. I'm a bit nervous how I'll be feeling by then! Ann Arbor is pretty hilly. We have runners that make a trip up there for weekend runs to join their running group. They put out water stops and everything. One of these days I'll make the trip. The coldest morning I ran in this week said "feels like 47" so I wore light gloves and a buff for my ears. It was a bit much when I ran fast, but felt good for the slower part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hands were warm with the gloves and cold without LOL This kind of weather is always tricky to dress for because it depends on the time of day (in the dark/daylight) and distance. I have yet to figure out any hard and fast rules for layering, because there are so many variables.

      Delete
  13. I was cheering for you guys yesterday! I love knowing someone who went to a school that's playing so I then have a reason to cheer for that school. :-) I have not been to the Big House, but I would have loved to have been in the Hard Rock Stadium yesterday afternoon for the Virginia Tech / Miami game!

    As you know, our body temperatures run very differently so I have never run in a stocking hat or flannel or fleece anything for a run, not even those few times I ran when the wind chill was below zero. LOL

    Thanks for the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have run in the hats and flannel/fleece more than I care to remember LOL, but never for an 18-mile run. By the time the temps get that cold, all of my big races/long runs are done for the season. 2019 has been such an odd year for weather...nothing has been predictable!

      Delete
  14. Ahhhh...the Big House! I've had some fun times there. I went to Central Michigan University and had lots of friends who went to UofM. Nice job on toughing out the 18 miler. Training is going so well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! It just feels so awesome to know that I don't "have" to do any more super long runs (until race day) if I don't want to. I"m excited to just go with the flow for the next three weeks ;-)

      Delete
  15. We also had summer temps in the beginning of the wek and it was fall by the end. I totally get having to switch up long runs based on schedules, I think flexibility is so important in training. Way to get it done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been my main reason to switch up my long runs, but the road trip definitely played a part this weekend. We still had rain in the forecast for Sunday (as of Thursday), so I didn't want to prolong the long run until then and risk not doing it at all. Yes, I totally agree with what you said about flexibility...it's a requirement LOL

      Delete
  16. PomPom Beanies for PResident, that's something we as a country can agree on right?
    What a great road trip. I have been college football-ing all over the linkup, although I think Deb's was two weeks ago and I'm just behind. Notre Dame Stadium is my favorite college stadium, but I'm biased.
    Mother Nature does indeed need to pick a lane. We went from August to November before settling back in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Notre Dame...but that's another one we want to visit.

      Delete
  17. Your weather really was all over the place this week! We finally got some cooler temps this weekend. It's been so long since i've been on my treadmill but Im sure soon enough I will be using it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"m determined to reserve the treadmill until the absolute most extreme situation. I have 2-1/2 weeks until MCM...if I can make it until then without summoning Milly, I won't "have" to fire her up for awhile ;-)

      Delete
  18. Milly! that's an adorable name for a treadmill...It's great that you can find motivation to finish your workout when switching from outside to inside...For me...It's a tough battle between sitting on the couch, sulking...or bad mouthing the weather to anyone and everyone I can convince to listen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only resort to "Milly time" when it's an act of desperation...

      Delete
  19. I laughed out loud at your comment on walking/running with Milly, "it felt just like old times - painfully slow and horribly boring." LOL. How true is that?!?. It doesn't matter how long a break you take from running, the comeback is always hard and boring!Well done on that 18-miler, 3 hours out on the run is just incredible. I guess those are the distances I can look forward to when I start marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  20. While you can keep the rain, I am super jealous of the hats and gloves and puffy vests! I want to go to the pumpkin patch and wear jeans and boots instead of a sun dress like a normal person!!! Wahhh!

    Looks like another great week. I've been getting in plenty of pushups and planks in 9Round. Yes I notice a difference. Yes, I still hate them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pushups really never get easier, do they? Even if you can do a more "full range," there's always the challenge of going deeper or slower/faster, or doing more...

      Delete
  21. Great job pushing through on that 18 miler, especially given the weather! You really did have a crazy range of weather last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather has been all over the map this week, too....

      Delete
  22. What crazy weather! You went from tank tops to a wool hat in just a few days! It is very hot and humid here in SC, where I am running this week. We still have yet to experience fall weather. Great job on your long run. You are gonna kill MCM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know if I'm gonna kill MCM LOL, but I'm gonna give it my best shot. I've had a decent training cycle, so fingers crossed!

      Delete
  23. Wow a long run on a Friday, that's dedication! Our weather has been crazy too. It got down to the 60s for a bit in the mornings and that felt amazing! Then it got back up to high 70s and humid. Not this week we're supposed to get beautiful running weather later in the week. I agree...Mother Nature needs to pick a season and stick with it. Hopefully a cooler season for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friday was my only viable option (as of Friday morning, that is...the forecast rain for Sunday never showed...)

      Delete
  24. your weather is nuts. I may have said that before but it's true! I think you moved your bada$$ level up one notch doing 18 miles on a Friday morning! and then an 8 hour road trip! we usually cap our road trips off at 6 hours (with stops making it around 7 or 8) and also have the foam roller in the car! Great Minds Think Alike! I have no real idea about American Football, I didn't go to university so I don't know the Big 10 or the Big House but your enthusiasm tells me that it's something you really enjoy and have fun with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha!! Iowa weather is totally nuts! The "Big 10" is the conference (group, if you will) of colleges that the University of Iowa is in, in terms of sports. The Big House is the nickname of the football stadium for the University of Michigan...that's where our team (the Univ. of Iowa) played last weekend.

      Delete
  25. I love the idea of #pushuptober! May have to take you on that challenge. I try to do push-ups with every workout I do. Any specific rules?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like a great workout week, even with the weather being all over the place!
    We FINALLY hit the 60s this morning, and it was wonderful!
    Way to CRUSH your 18 miler before heading to a quick trip to MI!
    I lived in Ann Arbor when I was in 1st grade, but don't remember much about it.
    I will be doing lots of pushups this month while teaching! Focusing on form is a great way to attack the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...doing just a few push-up allows for those few to be as close to perfect as possible ;-)

      Delete
  27. Great job on your 18 miles!!! We also had crazy weather this week but I know it is expected of here in Chicago. :-) I also had a good week and did all of my runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crazy weather has continued...cold mornings, hot afternoons, plenty of wind...and more rain!

      Delete