Thursday, October 17, 2019

Autumn 2019: What's on Tap


Buckle up, Friends! It's gonna be a bumpy ride...

Things have started to get a little crazy and busy in my running world. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

I have an action-packed line-up of activities (fitness and otherwise) to keep me on my toes for the remainder of the autumn season. There's weekly races, family celebrations, and plenty of entertainment as well.

Care to hear a few of the details?


Last weekend, (in the midst of taper for MCM), I ran the Run for the Roses 10K (recap HERE). It was a new-to-me event, and a lot of fun despite the crazy weather Momma N served up on race day. I treated the race as a tempo-ish training run, which proved to work in my favor (rewarding me with a new PR in the 10K distance). Beating my previous PR (from May 2012) was a great confidence boost as I continue tapering for my marathon on October 27th.

This coming weekend, I'm lacing up for my 10th appearance at the IMT Des Moines Marathon, running the half marathon on Sunday. Oh, this event is such an awesome endeavor! All told, I have run every race this exciting weekend offers (except for the marathon relay), and I make it a point to take part every year. With MCM a mere seven days later, though, I have ZERO race day goals (other than to enjoy the wonderful course and the non-stop crowd support). I'm going to run by feel, treating this as my final long run before MCM.
2018 IMT Des Moines Half Marathon
Oh, did I mention, it's also Homecoming weekend at the University of Iowa (the hubby's and my alma mater)? We're hoping to swing the parade on Friday evening, but that's only after a mad dash to Des Moines to get my race packet. There's also the football game on Saturday (the Hawkeyes are hosting the Purdue Boilermakers).
At the 2018 Iowa Homecoming Parade
We all know what's happening the following weekend, right? Drum roll...the Marine Corps Marathon! Seriously, I have had this race on my bucket list since forever. I'm on the fence for race day goals. I have had a strong training cycle, and I think I'm in decent shape to possibly try for a PR (sub 4:33), but we all know race day can be a crap shoot in terms of weather, crowds, phantom aches/pains, and general anxiety. We'll see....I still have a good week to think about it.
Image may contain: text

The weekend after MCM, I'm doing another half marathon, the Hillbilly Hike, because why not? My body is in shape and I want to take advantage of that. Don't worry, I plan to take things very easy the week after MCM...there will be (maybe) a couple of short runs and a whole lot of nothing else (well, except for foam rolling, stretching and post-race TLC). This strategy (running a half marathon a week after a full) worked well for me last year when I ran the 2018 IMT Des Moines Half Marathon following the Cannonball Marathon.
At the 2017 Hillbilly Hike...will I wear a flannel shirt again this year? Stay tuned...
Our youngest received her Associate of Arts degree in August, and we plan to celebrate her big achievement (she did it in one year!) with a party that same weekend (November 2nd). Oh, and it's also her birthday (and her boyfriend's birthday) that weekend as well. Go big or go home.
At the commencement ceremony (back in May)
Then, as if nothing else has kept me busy or on the go, the hubby and I are road-tripping to Madison  for the Iowa vs. Wisconsin football game on November 9th. Yes, we do thrive on fast and furious road trips, and we do love NCAA football.

Whew! Did you get all that?

Seeing all of it in print does look a little crazy, but I thrive on staying busy. I also have a hard time passing on a fun race. Oh well, I'm getting plenty of shut-eye right now, so I'm feeling fine. Onward!

Do you have a lot of fun stuff lined up for the autumn season? Any races? Family activities? Both? Ever run a half marathon before (or after) a full?

I'm linking this with Meranda and Lacey for the Friday with Fairytales and Fitness link-up. 

 

Are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

20 comments:

  1. Wow you sure are staying busy this fall! I have a wedding this weekend and ten we are pretty low-key until Thanksgiving. But that will be here before we know it and then the crazy holiday season begins! Hope all your races go well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not even gonna think about Thanksgiving until after the Wisconsin football game...by then the oldest daughter will be moved back to Iowa (from Pennsylvania) and all my major racing/training will be done. At least that's my plan on paper LOL

      Delete
  2. You do have a busy calendar, but it's all fun things! I was a bit worried when I saw the Des Moines marathon, but glad to see you're only doing the half.

    Good luck with everything! You are definitely on fire lately so I see good things in your future.

    Mine is busy too, but some of that remains the family stuff, which unfortunately is very stressful. But some good stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to getting through the rest of these races, then all the holiday stuff (ahem, Thanksgiving and everything that follows) will be easy-peasy...

      Delete
  3. Wow! You are amazing!You have inspired me to up my game. I would love to find a good half to do before the end of the year (after MCM), but I haven't been able to find one that fits my schedule yet. I have to keep looking! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that the Hillbilly Hike worked out this year...it's always a tricky time of year with weather and Iowa football. I'm hoping it will be a great final "send-off" before my off-season officially begins.

      Delete
  4. Wow you do have quite an active few weeks ahead! Good luck this weekend have a great time.Looking forward to seeing you next week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You do have an upcoming busy fall season. After running Chicago I s. Giving myself some rest before I do NYC in a few weeks. Goodluck in all your races coming up. I hope you have a great weather. MCM was a great marathon. You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many fun things to look forward to!! Good luck this weekend - I hope Momma N is good to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, Momma N's got some decent weather in store...hoping she stays true to her word LOL

      Delete
  7. Wow! So many races!!! How awesome that you are in such great shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha!! We'll see just how good of shape I'm really in as all these races play out. I'm feeling really good, but that's not always a guarantee LOL

      Delete
  8. Maybe I'll run into you at the Des Moines Half, although I'll be starting well back with the 2:30 pace group. I'll be driving out to DM today from Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you run Des Moines before? It's fun...the course is a great mix of urban and trails through a park and around a lake. Only a few hills ;-)

      Delete
  9. You are keeping yourself busy with plenty of races! Best of luck on all of them especially MCM - should be a lot of fun. I'm baffled by the size of the leaf on your intro photo - what tree was that from? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW. So much on tap. That's fall here too with family festivities (nephew, mom, me, niece) are all October - Jan. Congrats on the 10K PR and good luck with today, next week and the following!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! MCM is going to be so awesome for you! I cannot wait to see your photo, all smiles, with that medal!

    I also can't wait to hear details about this Hillbilly Hike! So fun!

    This is the time of year for all the plans, but it's all so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope the half went great for you this weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete