Friday, December 13, 2019

Jingle for a Cure 5K


What can I say? I'm a sucker for a holiday-inspired race.

The thing is, there are not many of them to choose from in my area. There were a couple races that I used to do every year, but both of them disbanded a few years ago.

My main running friend, Barb was joyfully basking in a day of grandma-duty, so I was on my own (which is not a bad thing, just saying). I really didn't feel like driving an hour to Des Moines for a short (and solo) 5K.

Enter the Jingle for a Cure 5K!



A new-to-me event, this race took place in Newton (IA), a quick 20ish-minute drive away. With our erratic weather, I decided to wait and register onsite. At the last minute, the hubby decided to come along...he didn't want to run, but went to a nearby coffee shop while I did the race.

All week, the forecast had shown sunny race day conditions. As the race day drew nearer, though, the temps started inching downward. The onsite registration ($30) was the same as the online registration, so I wouldn't be saving any money by registering prior to race day anyways.

With a start time of 9:00, we arrived at the race site shortly after 8:00. I found the registration table with ease, and took the bag of swag goodies back out to the car, and the hubby headed to the coffee shop.

I did a few dynamic stretches and then ran a quick 1/2-mile warm-up run. I got back to the staging area in time for a potty break before lining up.

The temps felt cold, and there was some wind, but the sun was shining strong and bright.  I had three layers on top (as well as arm warmers underneath), including my elf-themed tank. I had considered going bare-legged, but opted for a layer of tights under the red plaid shorts.

The crowd of participants wasn't very big. I'm not great at ball-parking a guess, but I'd say there were maybe 100 or so total people wearing race bibs, and a lot of them (maybe half?) were walkers. I saw a lot of great holiday attire, which is always a welcome sight at a holiday-themed event.

The race started right outside of the Ross Medical Arts Building (alongside the Skiff Medical Center).  The first part of the route had us going due east for several blocks. The 1-milers split off and went right (south) and the 5K racers turned left (going north). We passed the 1-mile mark a few blocks later.

I didn't have any specific goals for this race. Honestly, when the temps are cold, and there's wind, it's a gamble what you're capable of doing. I do always have a goal of running strong without over-exerting myself, especially in that first mile. When I glanced at my watch, though, I saw that I'd run that first split in 8:13... not a dead sprint, but a tad bit faster than ideal. Oops.

A few blocks later, the course turned left (now going west on 11th), and we were on a cement bike trail, which led us into Woodland Park for a few curves and some slight hills.

Just before the 2-mile mark, I could hear someone approaching from behind. I had noticed a few guys ahead of me, but hadn't seen any gals....but one was catching up with  me as we were going through the park. We hung together for a short while, then she merged ahead of me. I was able to get around her, though, her as we exited the park.

There was a big hill right after the park, maybe a 1/2-mile or so in distance. What goes up (usually) comes back down, so there was a nice downhill stretch which took us to the 2.75 mile mark. A short, curved path through another park brought us back to 5th Avenue (almost to where we'd started). There was another brief climb to the the 3-mile mark, then a sharp right to the finish line in the parking lot....and done!

As always, it felt really good to be done! It didn't feel like I was "racing," but I could tell I definitely had a good tempo pace going. As I was making my way back to the medical building, I paused to stretch for a few minutes. The gal (from the second mile) came over and congratulated me. I thanked her, and told her I could tell she was right on my tail for most of that last mile. She'd finished only a short ways behind me...I think the hill (maybe) had gotten the best of her.

There were a lot of walkers, so it took awhile before they got to the awards ceremony. I talked with a husband and wife for awhile while waiting. The husband was the second place finisher of everyone, and he ran the entire race in elf shoes!

I wound up being the first place overall female!  It didn't really sink in that I'd actually "won" the race (in terms of all the lady racers) because there were several guys ahead of me. I've had some age group finishes before, but never a first place overall. This is me we're talking about, one of the proverbial "picked last in gym" gals because of my lack of athleticism.

Instead of medals for awards, the first place overall male and female received gift cards to Culvers. The first place age group winners received travel coffee mugs. There was a lot of swag for a small race...long-sleeved cotton event shirts, a couple of lip balms, hot chocolate, candy canes and a water bottle.

Even though the field of runners was relatively small, I'm very happy with my performance and finish time. I almost gasped when my watch beeped and I saw I'd run the first mile in 8:13 because it didn't feel unusually "fast" to me. I guess my pace has progressively improved this past year, but I'm still not used to it. Of course, the cold air makes it easier to run at a faster pace than usual. The course wasn't too much of a challenge, but it did have a lot of rolling hills. The big hill (near the end) was tough...fairly steep and decently long. I could tell gravity was on the verge of winning, but I just kept going and focused on pumping my arms a bit more to push me along. The downhill, though not as long as the uphill had been, was a nice reward. Something I learned a long time ago is not to fight the hills, especially the downhills. I don't try to race down the hill, but I just let my legs go without any holding back...especially when I'm that close to the finish line.

Since I didn't get a medal to show for my first-ever first place, maybe I should keep the little gift card envelope and attach a ribbon to it. Kind of a make-shift medal, if you will. Although my 26:10 finish time is one of my faster 5K finishes, if this were a bigger event (or even a much warmer day), the odds of my getting first place would be slim to none. And that's alright. Often times, how you place is contingent on who else shows up (or who doesn't LOL). If you run a strong race, and are pleased with your efforts, it's still a victory.

Have you run any holiday-inspired races recently? If so, did you dress for the occasion? Ever registered onsite for a race...then surprised yourself with a better-than-expected finish?

I'm linking this with Meranda and Lacey for the Friday with Fairytales and Fitness link-up. 

 

Are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

29 comments:

  1. Nice recap! Who cares if it was a small race? You were the No. 1 Overall Female. And you put in a great effort and you're happy. You are right, simply enjoy the victory.
    As for that guy placing 1st in elf shoes...that is insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plan to enjoy this victory...the odds are good it won't happen again LOL

      Delete
  2. Hey winning is winning! What a fun experience. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was pretty fun having the honor of 1st place. I can check that off my bucket list, right?

      Delete
  3. Great job, Kim! You have had an amazing running year in 2019. Here's to an even better 2020!

    I'd go ahead & use the gift card, LOL!

    Cold does help (me), well, within reason, but still, that only accounts for so much. It's because of all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna use the gift card...but maybe keep it when it is used up and punch a hole in it. For some reason, there's a ribbon hanging by our calendar that's missing the medal (or what ever was originally on it), so that could suffice. :-)

      Delete
  4. Agree with Catrina, #1 is #1! I ran a holiday race last weekend I was just blown away by the costumes...someone dressed up as the lamp from A Christmas Story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who cares how small the race was?! You crushed it girl huge congrats. What a stellar year of running for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on winning first overall female! That is so cool!!! I love your race recaps. You make every race sound so appealing. I like a nice cotton shirt too. I have so many tech shirts, and how many long-sleeved tech shirts do you really need for winter running? I hope you enjoy your gift card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, personally, I'm not a fan of cotton race shirts, so I gave it to the oldest daughter's boyfriend. I do agree with what you said about long-sleeved tech shirts. I have too many of those as well!

      Delete
  7. Oh brilliant, well done! And lovely to have a gift card although a medal would also be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm not a fan of finisher medals for a 5K, but for a 1st place finish it would have been a nice perk LOL

      Delete
  8. Now you need to change your IG profile description because you HAVE NOW WON A RACE! Congrats friend!

    I think it is a great idea to hang the gift card from a lanyard ( after it has been used) because it is such a momentous occasion! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha! I had not even thought of the description on my bio! I have that same blurb on my Facebook running page and also on my blog LOL

      Delete
  9. Wow congrats that's awesome! The best i've done in AG awards is 2nd place in AG. And it was a smaller race, you're right it's entirely dependent on the field. But I still count victories as victories! Also I love when races give you a practical award like gift cards. I'd use a Culver's gift card for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a local Culver's, but there's plenty of them nearby. This really was a fun, little event. I think had the weather been a bit warmer, there would have been a much bigger turnout.

      Delete
  10. You rock! Congrats for winning the race as first female overall. Love the outfit as well. The themed race are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so awesome! I'm bummed they didn't give you a medal, but I love that you won!!!!

    There are so many incredible holiday races in our area. Obviously, I'm not doing a single one this year, but I have done so many in the past and yes, I have dressed in fun outfits. It makes it so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"m always amazed at the peeps who don't get in the spirit and dress for the events. We don't all need full-on blow-up costumes, but even donning the holiday colors is so simple...

      Delete
  12. I love this race - their swag bags are the best. <3 Bummed I couldn't get out to it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not ever heard of this race, but I saw it pop up on Facebook a few weeks ago. I"m glad I found it!

      Delete
  13. This sounds like such a fun race! Congratulations on your big win too, that is awesome and well-deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It certainly wasn't a "win" I was expecting, which made it all that more special :-)

      Delete
  14. Congrats on the race win!!! That's exciting - first female woowooo! And your outfit is so festive. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's fun dressing festive for a holiday-themed race :-)

      Delete
  15. COngratulations! That's amazing
    Registering on site isn't really a thing here, or at least not that I've found. My closest was an NYRR the day before since many runners were away for summer holidays

    ReplyDelete