Sunday, December 1, 2019

Feelin' Seasonal



 Things were feeling pretty seasonal this week.

The temps weren't too cold (or any too warm, for what it's worth). There were some holiday happenings. College football was exciting! Even college basketball had some good moments. And, my end-of-the-year run streak is now underway.

But before we hash out the full details, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 1:00 (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)

Anyways, here's the latest from my fitness world:

Monday - Cool but comfortable #nevermissaMonday
Although many would disagree, I think there's nothing better than a couple of miles, early on Monday morning, to kick start the day AND the week. I have to believe it's been at least four years running (see what I did there?) that I've had this Monday ritual. Granted, some of those Monday miles have happened midday (or after work), but they've been a constant in my fitness routine. Two Monday miles, in the cool (but still) morning air, and all was well.
Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

Tuesday -  Active rest/recovery
Another early Tuesday morning with Ellie, my elliptical. A little (or a lot of) sweat never hurt anyone, right? Twenty minutes of sweat equity in the bank.
Image may contain: one or more people

Wednesday - Opting inside; double workout day
With a high wind warning in full effect (temps were sitting at 32F with 23mph wind plus occasional gusts), I kept it inside in the early morning hours. Power walking is not for the faint of heart...crank up the speed (4.4mph) and UP the incline to 4 and see if you don't break a major sweat. Also, beware of little dogs (I'm looking at you, Max) who spontaneously hop on the 'mill and attempt to walk with you...it not only will freak YOU out, but also said dog as well (before they safely hop back off, unharmed).
Image may contain: 1 person, indoor and closeup

That evening, while the pumpkin pie was baking, I got busy with an intense lower-body-focused HIIT workout:

*5 flights of stairs (double-stepped)
*10 triceps dips
*10 burpees
*15 jump squats
*15 plank jacks
*20 mountain climbers
*20 arm reps
***5 total sets***

Total time was less than 30 minutes (including a 15-20 second recovery between sets). All told: 50 cumulative tri-dips and burpees, 75 cumulative jump squats and plank jacks, 100 mountain climbers and arm reps...and I slept like a rock (after taking the pie out of the oven).
Image may contain: 1 person

Thursday - Thanksgiving; local turkey trot
O.M.D. (Oh My DOMS)! I purposely timed the HIIT workout to happen late Wednesday, on the off chance there would be any DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) occurring approximately 12-14 hours later...but the glutes and hammies were already feeling a bit strained upon wake-up Thursday morning. The hubby and Max walked the 1-mile route, while Barb and I ran the 5K. I'm not sure how I did it, but I was able to stay with Barb for the entire run...and let's just say she had a lot of energy and no DOMS at play. We finished in 26:xx minutes, which is the fastest pace I've run since before the marathon.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, shoes, outdoor and nature

Friday - Black Friday fitness!
Since our usual #5at5 didn't happen on Wednesday (due to the inclement weather), Barb and I met up Friday morning for a #5at630 instead. The temps were cool, the streets were wet, and there was a constant mist in the air...but the DOMS had left the premises. Five miles never felt so good! There also were a few #blackfridaymiles walked while shopping.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, outdoor and closeup

Saturday - Streak run outside; inclined progressive power walk inside
It was another cold, damp and windy morning. It's a good thing I'm a runner...runners can tolerate most anything for a mile, right? I ran a quick "streak" mile outside, then took it inside for some power walking with Milly. I started with the incline on 3 and set the speed on 4, then alternated increasing the speed and incline every 1/4 mile. By the end of the second mile, the incline was on 5 and the speed had increased to 4.7...and I was a major sweaty mess. All told, I walked those two miles in 26:43...which may be faster than some people could have run it LOL My long legs can definitely move, especially when there's a treadmill belt pulling them along.
Image may contain: people standing, outdoor and nature

Sunday - tempo-paced 2-miler
Unto our runs a little snow must fall. All the better if you can smile as it happens and enjoy the moment, right? We all know I'm a summer gal, but I do love a good run amidst the falling snow, even when the big snowflakes find their way under my sunglasses. I meant to run these two miles easy, but there was something so energizing about this first "snowy run" of the season, that I just let my legs have their way. No regrets!
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, hat, child and outdoor

So, all in all, it was a decent fitness-filled week for me. The running capped out at 13 miles. Walking was meager (8ish). I'm happy with the elliptical time and the HIIT workout served me well. My November (running) miles finished out with 62, which is the lowest monthly miles I've had since February! I guess my marathon recovery was on-point. Currently, I'm sitting at 946 year-to-date miles for 2019, so I ought to pass the 1,000-mile mark with ease...something I've never done before. Stay tuned.

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:
Falling Back into a Routine
Grateful. Joyful. Blessed.
Black Friday 'Fessions

In other news:
Friday Fashion Flair! Black Friday had me heading out for a little shopping, later in the morning. I've lamented, many times, about my love for puffer vests. They come in handy when you're constantly getting in and out of the car and traipsing through parking lots and don't want to deal with a heavy coat once inside. Also, since there was a big football game happening that afternoon, I was repping my team, the Iowa Hawkeyes (wouldn't you do the same?)...and, BTW, they defeated the Nebraska Cornhuskers!  Anyways, you're invited to join me on Fridays...post a pic on Instagram, grab the hashtag (#FridayFashionFlair) and tag me (@Runningonthefly).

I mentioned our local turkey trot above. This was our eighth year already! A friend and myself have organized this from its inception, and it's been so rewarding to see it grow every year. We don't have any registration fees, nor do we have a timing mat or race bibs. It's very low-key, which I believe most non-runners appreciate and don't feel intimidated like they might if it was an "official" race. We have 1-mile, 2-mile and 5K routes for walkers and runners. Participants are encouraged to bring food items (and many also bring monetary donations as well), which we donate to our local food pantry. The temps were chilly (low 30F's), and the air was damp...but we had a record turnout this year!


Finally, for all those celebrating, I hope it was a great Thanksgiving for you and your families. We had the son home for a week (college break), and both daughters (and my parents) joined us on Thursday for a joyous family feast. Indeed, so much to be thankful for.
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, shoes, outdoor and text

How was your week? Seasonal weather? Any turkey trotting? Family time? Great workouts?
Are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

51 comments:

  1. Sounds like that marathon training really paid off for your Turkey Trot too! Happy Thanksgiving and happy run streaking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah! Hard to believe it's streaking time already!

      Delete
  2. I never do a turkey trot because I usually am hostimg TG and need to get an early start on the day. I do usually do my own pre-cooking run, and we had great weather for it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten my hosting routine down to a science, so it's not too stressful at all. I get a lot of the food ready the evening prior, including making the potatoes (which then go into a crock pot on Thanksgiving morning). We put the turkey in the oven and then head out to our trot :-)

      Delete
  3. I did 2 turkey trot which in hindsight was stupid since my foot was hurting. As a result, I went to the gym today and rode the bike instead of running

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brave trotting twice! Hope your foot feels better soon.

      Delete
  4. That's awesome that you organize the Turkey Trot. I did my first one ever this year and it was so much fun. I'm totally with you on starting Mondays with a run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our little local Trot is a lot of fun! Every year, I'm so amazed (and grateful) to have such a large turnout. Yes, Monday runs/workouts are a great way to start the week!

      Delete
  5. How wonderful that your race has grown so much! It sounds very accessible to all different types of athletes. How big before you will need to get permits or something like? I don't know the rules :) Awesome week of staying active over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had not thought of needing permits or anything...small town Iowa LOL We have notices in the local paper, so most people know about it...and it's early enough in the morning (8:30) that there's never been any traffic control problems. Knock wood, I hope we're good for many years to come :-)

      Delete
  6. I hope you get your 1,000! I was all set to do it for the third year in a row this year, but unfortunately injury took me out of play for two months (plus a third and fourth month with only 40ish miles) so it's not gonna happen for me. I'll finish around 850 or 900 miles. Which is still not too shabby, but I would have liked to break the 1k mark again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've finished in the upper 900's several times, but have never made it over 1,000...but ti's never been a goal, either. This year, though, with only 50ish miles left, I'm not worried :-)

      Delete
  7. That's so cool you started a turkey trot that continues to grow! It was seasonal here as well, although I'm so glad Maddie's plan got in Monday evening because Tuesday was very rainy and Wednesday we saw mega delays due to high wind. I love your Iowa getup and may be guilty as charged with more than my share of Georgia Tech gear. How can you not?? Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iowa had a lot of airport delays, as well, with all of that wind on Wednesday. Crazy! And, yes, we gotta represent our colleges, right? :-)

      Delete
  8. Not enough time to squeeze in a trot. Too bad, aside from the wind, the weather was on the warm side this year.

    Snow is falling as I type. They're predicting a pretty big storm. We've had shoveable snow a few times already, but quickly gone. This looks to be a multi-day event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got lucky with our Trot...temps were chilly, but there was a chance of rain in the forecast, so it'a a great thing the rain never showed up. We had a lot of snow a month ago or so, but it was gone within a day or two. I think we're in the clear for a while...fingers crossed

      Delete
  9. Wow, how cool that it is YOUR Turkey Trot?! We did the 5 mile one here and they had about 10,000 participants, which is big for a run here. It's my favorite tradition! I also try to #nevermissamonday, I agree that it's the best start to the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Trot is pretty small, in comparison to "real" races in bigger cities. We had maybe 150 (??) participants, but that's a substantial turnout for our town on a big holiday morning. It's a fun endeavor :-)

      Delete
  10. omgosh poor max on the treadmill!! was that his first attempt at getting on it whilst it was moving? charlie started to stick his nose in the wheel of the spin bike today to which I promptly shouted to Ron to get the cat out of the room!

    you had another good week! congrats on your turkey trot! I LOVE the idea of low-key local non-timed run! Fun for everyone!

    I'm sure you are very happy the kids were home for the holiday <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazingly, that was Max's first-ever attempt at 'milling with Mommy. Usually, he's in the other room, curled up on his favorite pillow or maybe on the rug by the door nearby. I didn't even see him climb on, but felt his fur alongside my legs...freaky!!!

      Delete
  11. KInd of funny--on the college themed gear--after Wisconsin crushed Minnesota last night and won Paul Bunyan's axe, I wore a Badgers shirt to Target this morning. Big mistake. Since I was wearing red, everyone there thought I was an employee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that we have a Target nearby (closest one is 40 minutes away), but I'm always careful to NOT wear red/khaki there LOL I was with my sister once, and she kept getting asked where various aisles were...

      Delete
  12. Very cool that you organize the local turkey trot. Our neighborhood had one too, but due to other invitations, we didn't go this year. I guess it's a good thing when you have to choose! Crazy that your dog hops on the treadmill!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this was Max's first time on the 'mill LOL I'm just thankful he was able to hop back off without getting flung off the back. It all happened so fast!

      Delete
  13. I'm laughing at the thought of my Max trying to get on the treadmill with me. I think we both would go flying off the back. Lol! Our old dog, Cooper would come alongside the treadmill and put one paw on the belt. That's all the courage he could work up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what made my Max want to get on the 'mill since he's never ever come close to even touching it before. It was so freaky...

      Delete
  14. It must be so great to see the Trot you started still going strong!

    I bet that was quite a surprise when Max jumped on the mill!

    Happy streaking :) And, thanks for the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was quite a surprise to have my little guy underfoot (literally) on the 'mill with me. We're lucky both of us didn't get flung off the back of it.

      Delete
  15. I love the names Ellie and Millie!
    I am really impressed with your HIIT program. Do you have especially up-beat music to accompany you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I usually do my HIIT workouts sans music. I'm usually bopping back and forth from the stairway to the hall (for the burpees) or grabbing the hand weights...and then I usually have to "check off" each circuit as I do them (because I lose count). If I had music playing, I'd really have a tough time staying focused.

      Delete
  16. A great week, well done! I do like a Monday run but only when I either haven't run at all or have run a long way on Sunday! And sorry for those DOMS - well done on doing the Turkey Trot so well regardless! Dogs on the treadmill? eeps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the DOMS usually signify a great workout, so they're kind of a badge of honor LOL And, they're usually pretty short-lived, so they're not much of a burden. I usually do the HIIT workouts when I know I'll have a rest/recovery day the next day...this was kind of an exception to my usual routine with the turkey trot happening the next day.

      Delete
  17. I'm glad that your DOMS didn't last too long - I know how annoying that can be!

    I love that you do the run streak every year. My body doesn't like when I run every day so instead I'm doing an "activity streak" where I'll do activity every day until New Year's. The #holidaysweat challenge is helping me with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the #holidaysweat challenge is a great incentive to be active! It mimics a run streak (sort of) in that it keeps one active on a daily basis for a relatively short time span. That's why I like monthly challenges...they're a great opportunity to "challenge" oneself for a concise period of time.

      Delete
  18. COngrats on the awesome Trot time.

    And not at all run related, but since you're also a college football nut you'll appreciate. Dinner with friend group on occasion of one visiting - sadly the only way we manage to get together anymore. The first dinner since he moved? Iron Bowl Kick Six. Last night, six years to the day - bye bye Bama.

    My Irish aren't playing in a New Years Bowl most likely, but still loving this season. Unlike my Giants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw where Bama went down and Sabin was a bit of a cry baby about it. I"ll be curious to see where Iowa goes...not that we have any grandiose ideals about going with them LOL

      Delete
  19. Another great week as usual! Can't believe you've been running every Monday for 4 years. Did I read that right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part, yes...I did have to walk for three months (on Mondays) while I was recovering from my surgery in 2017. I made it a point, though, to get outside and do something on those Mondays until I was able to run again. For me, it's just routine now, and I look forward to starting each week with a little bit of action :-)

      Delete
  20. Oh my goodness, how funny that Max hopped on the treadmill with you! I think Pablo would be far too nervous to try that. I always crack up when I see videos of pets walking on their human's treadmills.

    I had no idea that you organized a race for Thanksgiving morning and if you had mentioned it before, I probably thought that it was just for a few of your close friends. How cool and how fun!

    Thanks for the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally freaked me out for the split second Max was 'milling with me. I'm just glad he had the sense to hop right back off...I'm amazed I didn't wipe out myself LOL

      Delete
  21. Nice pace on the turkey trot! My week was "blah". Still getting over this cold/virus that seemingly will not go away! But got in a short turkey trot, so that was a plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh...hope you're feeling better! Those lingering colds are a buzzkill.

      Delete
  22. Great job with your workouts! I'm hoping to take more advantage of the work gym's treadmill in these last few weeks that I'll be at work, so I may have to borrow one of those workouts!

    We have a nearby 5 mile/1 miles turkey trot and this year I did the 1 mile. I was just proud to run the whole time! I'm glad to hear yours had record turnout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job on your Trot!! I just get so bored on the treadmill, I have to mix up the speed and/or incline to keep it interesting and/or challenging.

      Delete
  23. Sounds like a good week overall! That's a funny story about poor Max on the treadmill :) Though I'm sure it was startling at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max totally took me by surprise....I didn't even know he was on there until I felt his fur up against my leg!

      Delete
  24. I love your Turkey Trot! I think it's awesome that you guys have kept it going and grown so much through the years. Your weather looks amazing, too.

    As you know, this has been a week of low-lights. I'm over here hoping that the comeback is epic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a week! Winter has definitely hit us here in Chicago, but I am still enjoying my outdoor walks/runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the cold weather, though it's on the upswing this week...not much (yet) for snow, though :-)

      Delete
  26. That's awesome that you organize the Turkey Trot! I really like how you collect food for a shelter - what a great idea, especially for a Thanksgiving race. It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete