Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Blinging It in 2019


The year was 2019, and it served me well.

Lots of races run, 19 in total. And, there was a nice haul of bling brought home.

Shall we play a quick game of Show and Tell?


Here's where my racing shoes took me...

Freezefest 5K (Feb. 16th, Marian, IA). A cold morning, but with a lack of wind, it was quite nice. I ran this race (accidentally) sans music and Garmin, and finished in 25:56.
2nd place AG
Leprechaun Chase 10K ( March 9th, Des Moines, IA).  An annual favorite, this year blessed us with non-stop rain and giant snowflakes at the finish line. I ran the race strong, but definitely not a 10K (nor a course) PR.  The weather, I believe kept a lot of people away, so my 56:13 enabled me to snag a 2nd place AG spot on the podium. No bling, per se, but a commemorative glass pint and a free registration for the 2020 Chase.


Heroes Memorial Run 10K  (March 22nd, St. Petersburg, FL). A unique race run on the downtown streets of St. Pete, this race happened on a Friday evening while the hubby and I were on spring break. My finish time was a pleasant surprise (54:51), and rewarded me with a 2nd place AG and a top 20-(female) finisher plaque.

Chocoholic Frolic 10K (March 30th, Iowa City, IA) My third 10K of the month, this one had me facing a fierce Iowa wind on a chilly spring morning. Apparently the tailwind counter-acted the headwind well, and pushed me to a near 10K PR (53:57).
1st place AG
Cherry Blossom 10-Mile (April 7th, Washington, DC) A long-time bucket list event, I got to enjoy all the beautiful trees in bloom in our nation's capital city.

Drake Road Races Half Marathon (April 20th, Des Moines, IA) Another favorite race, this hilly route showcases some scenic neighborhoods and ends with a lap on the famous blue oval in Drake Stadium. We had beautiful weather this year, which is seldom the case this time of year in Iowa.
A course PR, with a finish time of 2:04:32
Grand Blue Mile (April 23rd, Des Moines, IA) This was my second year running the Grand Blue Mile...if you run one of the Road races (three days prior) and run the Blue Mile, you're given the Bull Dog Double medal. I beat my 2018 time by over 30 seconds, clocking 7:23! It took me several minutes to catch my breath, a few hours to re-hydrate my scratchy throat, and almost a week for my legs to recover...but it was worth it.
4th place AG out of 73
Market to Market Relay (May 11th, west/central Iowa) A fun-filled, though LONG day spent with a team of co-workers. The route is 76 miles long, and there were five of us taking turns over the span of 10 hours. No medals, but we all got glass pints.


DAM to DSM 20K (June 1, Des Moines, IA) A favorite race with a new name. This was my 12th time running the Dam race that will always be my favorite.
2:02:14, one of my better finish times
Fifth Season 4th of July 8K (July 4th, Cedar Rapids, IA) This was a new-to-me race. The temps were warm and humid (just the way I like them LOL) and the route was fun with non-stop crowd support.
43:10, 3rd place AG

Midnight Madness 15K (July 13th, Ames, IA) This is a fun, action-packed event held in the evening (hence the name). There's a 5K route, which you can run once (for the 5K race) or you can run it twice (for the 10K race). Some of us even run that same route three times, all in one evening. The longtime race director was retiring, so they had commemorative medals honoring him (for the age group winners). This event is also the Iowa Games 5K and 10K championships, so there were AG awards for those as well. I was able to snag a third place AG finish in both the 5K (27:00) and 10K (56:58)...so I brought home four medals on that hot summer night. 

Quad Cities Times Bix-7 (July 27, Davenport, IA) It had been five years since I'd last run the Bix and I was ever-so-eager to return and take on the 7-miles of hills this race is famous for. It's always hot, and it's always humid...but that's part of the allure. No age group honors, but I set a new course PR with my finish time of 2:04:22. I beat my old PR by 52 seconds, which was from nine years ago.

NewBo Half Marathon (Sept 2, Cedar Rapids, IA) This was my second year running the NewBo, and it's already a race that has become a new favorite. There's a great mix of rolling hills (with a couple of big ones in there), country roads, and several miles of woodland trails (some of them gravel). I didn't quite make my sub-2:00 goal, but I came close...2:01:10, which was still a significant course PR. I was good with that!

Kickoff to Kinnick 5K (September 21st, Iowa City, IA) The weather gods didn't want to play nice...after a couple of delayed start times, the race was finally called off. By the time we'd waited inline for our medals, though, the threat of lightning had ceased and the rain had cleared. Several of us decided to run the race course anyways.

Run for the Roses 10K (October 13th, Ames, IA) With the Marine Corps Marathon looming a couple weeks away, I was in taper mode. I still wanted to do a tempo-ish run, though, so this race was a perfect fit. It was another hilly adventure (I'm not sure how I keep finding these), and the morning temps were damp, cold and windy. It was a route I was not familiar with, which I guess worked to my advantage. My finish time (53:38) wound up being a legit 10K PR, squeaking by a long-standing PR from seven years ago.
1st place AG
IMT Des Moines Half Marathon (October 20th, Des Moines, IA) Many people probably thought I was crazy to run a half marathon a week out from MCM, but there are some races I simply cannot miss, and this is one of them. I had no finish time goals and my only race day objective was to run by feel and enjoy the morning. The weather could not have been more perfect...all the clouds parted, giving us sunshine and temps in the low 40F's. I felt strong and nailed the fueling. No fatigue and no achy muscles, and my finish time made me smile...2:04:14.

Marine Corps Marathon (October 27th, Arlington, VA/Washington DC) I've had this race on my bucket list from the beginning, and it was an amazing event. Granted, there were almost 19 miles in a downpour (and occasional standing water to wade through), my wet clothes (including my socks and shoes) never dried out because it was so humid, and it got really hot in the final miles when the sun did shine brightly on us. So many runners DNF'd, but I was not one of them. It truly was a great day despite all the frustrations of the circumstances. Even my finish time (5:09:34) was nowhere close to what it should have been...but I have no regrets.
#MissionAccomplished #OORAH
Hillbilly Hike Half Marathon (November 2nd, Carlisle, IA) Yes, a half marathon six days after a marathon! It's not unheard of to do another race, after all there's a whole lot of endurance and training still in one's arsenal. I'd run this race twice before (2015 and 2016), and knew it was a scenic course along a rail trail. This particular year, though, the temps were freezing, literally. The trail was slick in spots and the numerous bridges had ice. Oh, and my Ipod had died (at mile 2 of MCM), so I was without music...but I just wanted to run and enjoy myself. Again, no finish time goals and just a run-by-feel strategy. Well, it worked...I felt great the entire 13.1 miles and crossed the finish line in 2:01:16, which was actually a course PR (and 5th place AG).
Image may contain: one or more people

Jingle for a Cure 5K (December 7th, Newton, IA) A new to me event, I registered onsite as a spur -of-the-moment decision. I wanted to get in at least one holiday-themed race before Christmas, and this was only 20 miles down the road. Not actually any bling brought home from this...but a generous gift card sufficed since it was for finishing first place overall for females. Trust me, that's never happened before.
Image may contain: 1 person

So, there's my 2019 bling. It's been a busy year, and a productive year.  That said, I'm already eager to see what 2020 has in store.

How did 2019 play out for you? Any great races? Fun events? Proud moments? Pretty bling?

 I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up

**I'm also linking this with Debbie and Marc  for the Running Coaches' Corner

By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

34 comments:

  1. You've definitely been busy! Congrats on a breakthrough running year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcia :-) I'm so grateful how the year played out...that long-standing plateau finally bit the dust.

      Delete
  2. 19 races and so many AG placements! You were killing it this year! Well done! Looking forward to reading about your 2020 accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a fun year, and I'm thankful for all the great races I was able to run.

      Delete
  3. I'm tired just reading all that. Very little bling for me in 2019 -- generally you just don't get a medal up here unless you run a half marathon, and the majority of my races were shorter distances.

    Healthy, uninjured, still able to run -- it's all good!

    Congrats on a great year, Kim, and here's to an even better 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy! We don't get much hardware here, either, for anything under a half marathon (unless it's an AG placing). Besides, I'm not a fan of finisher medals for short races...though I I do love all the memories they hold :-)

      Delete
  4. What a great year of racing for you! What do you do with your medals, do you have a display case for them? I hang mine on hooks in the fireplace mantel in our den but they're starting to get crowded. Would you believe that at one time I wasn't into medals? That changed when I ran a race at a winery and the medal came with a wine cork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all of my medals on an expandable "accordian-style" coffee mug rack LOL I think there's 12 total pegs, so all of the pegs have numerous ribbons overlapping, but I LOVE it because it's unique (that's the #artgeek in me). I love every medal, even the ones from tough races with less-than-desirable finish times...they all have a story to tell and so many lessons learned from all the miles run.

      Delete
  5. You really had some awesome races and bling this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, #KimTwin :-) It's been a fun ride...hoping the momentum continues on into 2020.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Lots of races, PR's and AG wins! You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, Thank you, Denise :-) Funny how the races just happen, then I look back on the year and realize just how many there were LOL

      Delete
  7. Glad to see you are satisfied with your year! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) It's been awhile since I've had a consistent year like 2019. We all know running can be fickle...

      Delete
  8. You sure did rack up lots of bling this year! Congrats friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah! I'm glad one of those pretty medals came from that fun weekend in DC under the cherry blossoms :-)

      Delete
  9. You really had such an amazing year of running and racing! Congratulations on all of your achievements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle :-) I'm truly grateful...I finally broke out of a long plateau.

      Delete
  10. Look at all those medals - wow! I earned three this year and that's pretty big for me. None planned for next year even though I'll be running 26.2 twice ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how many races I'd done until I gathered all these pics....YIKES! It was a lot of fun ;-)

      Delete
  11. You've really had an amazing year of running and racing! Where do you display all that bling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty happy with all that 2019 gave me. My #artgeek self found an "accordian-style" peg rack (usually used for coffee hugs LOL)...and that's on a wall by our hallway calendar. I think there's 12 pegs on it, so each of those pegs has numerous ribbons overlapping with all the medals hanging below. It suits me :-)

      Delete
  12. You have had such an amazing year and it's been so much fun following your journey! I can't wait to see what 2020 has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy wow that's a lot of races! Congrats, lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I honestly didn't realize how many races I'd done until I started pulling the pics from the race recaps LOL

      Delete
  14. You are a racing QUEEN! You scored some seriously awesome bling this year. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, you had a great year of racing! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on a great year of racing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great running year for you! I think you made out with some pretty sweet non-medal prizes. Sometimes those are the best! Are you thinking of running CUCB again in 2020? If so, we should link up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Impressive. I only managed two 10km events this year. Need to start booking next years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 19 races? Wow, that is pretty amazing! Two races on your list I would like to do are MCM and Cherry Blossom 10 Mile.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great way to celebrate your year of accomplishments. have four five (Lebow, NYC Half, Women's Mini, NYC and the Jingle Jog as I gave away my Albany one to my nephew), but I think I'd only post one. Bet you can't guess which :D

    ReplyDelete