Monday, December 2, 2019

The Streak is ON!


Here we streak again!

Well, let me rephrase that....here I streak again.

I know, I know. It's that time of year. The racing season has come to a close for many of us. The weather is a bit dismal. Besides, a little incentive to stay active through the holiday season never hurt anyone.

For the past six years, that has meant a brief run streak for me. From Thanksgiving through New Years Day, I have run at least one mile every day...and I'm continuing that tradition again in 2019.

Believe me, there are a lot of critics out there who are anti-streaking. I was once one of them myself,  until I gave this streaking gig a go in 2013. I can honestly say I'd never do run streaking year-round. For a final hurrah to the year, though? Yeah, I'm good with that.
New Year's Day 2018...the final run of the 2017 RW Run Streak
What's made it work for me is that I respect it's a short-term challenge. It has a specific ending date, and I've never felt compelled to continue beyond that final day. I've never made it into a contest to see how many miles I can accumulate, or how fast of a pace I could knock out each time I laced up the shoes.

Last year, with Thanksgiving being so "early," it was the longest Streak ever for me...41 total days. Amazingly, last year also was the easiest Streak I've ever run. Emotionally, I didn't experience any burnout or dread. Physically, I didn't notice any odd ball aches or pains, nor overuse injuries. Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe I've learned a thing (or several) during the previous six Streaks to make the streaking work for me.

None the less, here are a few objectives with this year's Run Streak:

(1) Run every run outside.
This will be my fourth consecutive year of doing all of my runs outside. Fingers crossed we'll have seasonal weather, and not any of that crazy Arctic Blast or Polar Vortex stuff. None the less, even if things get cold and nasty, I can tolerate (most) anything for a mile.

(2) Wear a different outfit for each run...no repeats!
I've managed to do this every year (I think). Of course, I have some favorite gear (#puffervests and #pompomhats), but there oodles of possibilities for mixing and matching.

(3) Maintain cross-training.
Duh! Cross-training is a given. A lot of these streak runs (almost half of them, actually) will be just one mile in distance, which really doesn't require much of a time commitment or effort. There will be plenty of time for some other fitness options without any excess wear or tear on my body.
Image may contain: one or more people

(4) Vary the pace/distance/time of day as much as possible so each run will be unique.
On my cross-training days, I'll probably be doing the streak runs either midday (at lunch) or after work. Since there will be some kind of other workout (most likely in the early morning), most of these runs will be easy-paced 1-milers. I have a slew of 1-mile routes...I can run them as out-and-backs, laps around my block, loops around other surrounding blocks, clockwise, counter-clockwise, figure-8's. The possibilities are endless.

(5) Enjoy the simple experience of running.
Every run is a gift, after all. I'm extremely grateful for gift of running, and having the privilege of doing it on my own terms. What's more, each of these Streak runs will get me one day closer to the the Winter Solstice...which will eventually reward me with more daylight...and that will, in turn, lead me back to warm weather (eventually LOL). How's that for a plan?

Anyways, that's what's going down for the remainder of 2019. Coincidentally, I'm also partaking in Fit Approach's #HolidaySweat Challenge....doing at least 10 minutes of activity, every day, from Thanksgiving through New Year's Day.  Kind of perfect timing for the run streak, if you ask me.

Do you have plans for finishing out the year strong? Any goals on tap for 2020?  Have you ever given run streaking a try?

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up

**I'm also linking this with Debbie and Marc  for the Running Coaches' Corner



By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

31 comments:

  1. I tried a running streak once - 42 days. But I was a bit injured in the end and had to end it. Likely I was not doing all the other things to make it so that I wouldn't become injured. I think run streaking is great and you know yourself and your body and I think that's most important when you take on a challenge like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed!! Streaking is not everyone's "thing," though I do believe anyone can make it work if they commit to it. I became a believe by simply trying it LOL

      Delete
  2. I love that you are planning on braving the winter weather and getting every run done outside this year - that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've done the outdoor streaking three times prior, so I know it's not that big a deal. Just hoping Momma N plays nice LOL

      Delete
  3. I would never criticize anyone doing a running streak. It is actually impressive! I gave it a try a few years ago but now cannot remember why I stopped. I want to end the year with no more injuries and doing all of the workouts given to me by my coach.

    Thank you for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, I'd never consider doing the Streak any longer than these 5-6 weeks each year. I know I'd get burnt out and my body would want a break. For this short time span, though, it's very doable.

      Delete
  4. I'm not anti-streaking--it's just not for me. Besides the fact that my body just wouldn't do well with a streak, there's the time factor. It might be a mile, but there's the whole getting ready, dressed for the cold thing. Plus all that laundry! Good luck to you--I'm sure you'll make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granted, there are some days when it takes longer getting dressed than it does running...it's all part of the routine, though. And, on the colder days, the base layer barely sees any sweat on the short runs. I runfess I have reused those layers a second time on occasion.

      Delete
  5. I'm afraid I'm #teamantistreak, but hey, whatever floats your boat. Doing everyone outside -- let's just say yesterday would've been downright dangerous. Today also. I'll be on the mill today for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Streaking definitely does not float every runner's boat. I totally respect that :-)

      Delete
  6. The closest thing I've done to a streak is the Strava Lululemon challenge in January (I assume/hope they're doing it again this year). I'm a big time fan of the treadmill in winter but this is all outside and it's a great way to thumb my nose at winter. I don't think I've ever run more than 7 days consecutively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally LOVE thumbing my nose (and various fingers) at Winter, too! I love testing my grit, and this Streak does that for me every winter, and it gives me a final "challenge" to finish out the year.

      Delete
  7. What a brilliant idea! It sounds very doable and motivating. My only streak is that I have been walking at least 10'000 steps a day for the last 10 months. I think next year I will join you with your streak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of that walking is impressive! I'm not a fan of winter...I tolerate it, but summer is my season. The Streak helps me focus on something other than the cold weather LOL

      Delete
  8. I love it, actually! I mean, people go for 10,000 or more steps every day, so what's the difference?
    As for every run outside? I'm such a wimp! I have been using the treadmills at work :)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a treadmill, but I just am not a fan of it. For me, it's boring, it messes with my gait/stride and I don't have a tv nearby to distract me. I much prefer the great outdoors, even when the temps plummet :-)

      Delete
  9. While I am not a run streaker, I do aim to do some sort of activity everyday between Thanksgiving and new year. Love to watch your streak though! Have fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah :-) I appreciate your support...I'll do my best to keep you up to date (and entertained) on all my runs :-)

      Delete
  10. All the best with your streak! I don't think I've ever done one, but the off season sounds like the perfect time to go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this would never be an option for me if I was in the midst of training for a race. Off season is ideal :-)

      Delete
  11. I would totally do a running streak if I didn't have to be at work at 0600. And I don't run after work either. I tried once but my legs were done after 12 hrs.
    You rock though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awhhh, thanks :-) Getting to work by 0600 would make it challenging!

      Delete
  12. I really like your attitude to streaking and think it's exactly the right one. I've never tried it but it's just not for me, not not for everybody, if you see what I mean. Wrap up warm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No streaking for me but I am in the middle of marathon training so I’ll be active. I thing your holiday streak is a great idea. A perfect thing to stay active through the holidays. Not that you need help doing that!

    One of my Ragnar Trail teammates has been streaking for over 3,200 days. It’s not my thing but he’s pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 3200 days sounds totally badass! Technically, I don't consider streaking my "thing," but I like doing it for this winter period because it's outside of my comfort zone. Also, since I seldom ever have any major races happening anytime soon, I'm not really in danger of messing up any training.

      Delete
  14. YAY for streaking! So glad you're sweating up the holidays with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The #HolidaySweat challenge is a great challenge for everyone, at every fitness level :-)

      Delete
  15. I was really hoping to take part in this challenge this year. Maybe next time.

    I love the idea of wearing a different outfit for every run! Such a great way to keep mixing it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outfits just increase the challenge a bit more...why not? :-)

      Delete
  16. A different outfit for every day of the streak?! I wish I could, lol! I haven't tried the end of year streak in many years and you're almost convincing me to jump in, haha! Fingers crossed that you won't have to run through too much treacherous weather!

    ReplyDelete