Thursday, June 29, 2023

A Summer 'Fession Fest


Alas, it's the first 'Fession Session for the summer of '23.

Call me crazy, but it seems like it was just a few days ago that I was 'fessing with the best of them. Yet, here I am again (and I know I'm not alone, LOL). Funny how that happens!

Anyways, it's been a doozy of a summer thus far for me...

Shall we get this Summer 'Fession Fest started?

If you'll allow me to begin, I'd start with a big runfession...I'm (currently) NOT running. After my bike crash (you can read more about that HERE), I thought I'd be back on my feet and in the running shoes within a week or so. Well, that hasn't happened yet. Honestly, I am alright with my situation, but it is frustrating not knowing when the ribs will be magically ready to withstand running. So, yes, I'm back in recovery mode, by way of accident as opposed to legit injury. Things could be far worse, so there's no need for whining.

I've been doing lots of walking and biking

With my current running sabbatical, I'll bikefess that I'm embracing the bike like never before. Actually, this has happened before, LOL (like three years ago, after my stress fracture entered the scene). Garmin has been busy handing me badges left and right. Ironically, the day of the crash, Garmin rewarded me with not just one, but two badges for my efforts. One badge was for doing a weekend 40K ride or longer (our ride was 56 miles...more than double the 40K distance). The other badge was for climbing 1,000 feet of elevation (this took me by surprise since I didn't realize we'd done that much climbing). Just this week (while on the hilly bike path), I passed the 400K (248.55 miles) mark for June, so another badge was added to the collection. 

Of course, with all this biking, I gotta windfess that Momma N has been not playing nice on several occasions. For example, she not only allowed the "summer" temps to take a nasty nosedive last weekend, but she amped-up the wind as well. In fact, there have been more days than not when the wind mph was in the high teens. I kid you not. At least the breeze feels refreshing on the hotter, true summer days.

If we're speaking of summer weather, it's no secret that humidity is the heat's fraternal twin (at least in Iowa, LOL). I like my hair at this longer length, but let me humidity-stress-fess, I don't get to enjoy wearing it down much this time of year. Within 20 minutes (on a good day!) of leaving the house (in my air-conditioned car, nonetheless), things are looking droopy. Thankfully, I always have hair ties and and funky barrettes within arms reach to rectify the situation.

And, last of all, Thursday was Voldemort's sixth birthday! I know, I know...I'll Voldefess it's a bit odd to celebrate such a day, given the havoc it wreaked on my world. That day (June 29th, 2017) became a major turning point for me, though. I'd always considered myself a positive person prior to all the drama that unfolded in the clinic and operating room that afternoon, but I had a major shift in perspective that evening. As I contemplated all the races I'd be missing, as well as all the miles that wouldn't be run for the next three months, I realized that it wasn't the end of my livelihood. I'd just run Grandma's Marathon, after all, and my body needed some rest anyways. And, I also realized it was my choice to bask in gloom or rise above my circumstances. I came back so much stronger, after those three months, and even snagged some new PR's. BTW, Voldemort is the name I gave to the 6-inch scar on my right knee...in case you were wondering, LOL).   

this pic popped up in my Facebook memories from last year

Whew! So there you go...another set of 'fessions and I'm feeling cleansed and renewed. And, I'm ready to see what July '23 has in store...anyone else?

How about you? Anything that needs 'fessing among friends? 

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

9 comments:

  1. Except when it's stormy, wind has been pretty absent here. I know it's not great for biking, but I actually enjoy some breeze in Summer running!

    My hair is only down after it's been washed in Summer. It's great to warm me in Winter, but I don't need that during the Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have minded some wind this week to blow that smoke out of here. It was really awful. Now it's humid too. Gack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year I would have been "oh no poor Kim can't run" and this year of course I know better - take one fitness option off the table and the others all shine. Do you think you might have cracked a rib or is it just bruised? There's not really a way to tell besides waiting it out.

    If Voldemort is six, I guess that means that he just finished kindergarten;-) Happy Birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're not getting the wild fire smoke? If so consider yourself lucky. I'd take some wind at this point. Ugh! Wow to 6 years! You've made a wonderful comeback after that incident!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow has it really been 6 years?! Time really does fly... I'm sorry your ribs are still giving you trouble, but yay for all the biking!

    I feel like you're constant contending with the wind - that's gotta make for some interesting rides. No wind here just more humidity than care for - my hair is staying up until further notice lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow has it been 6 years already! The humidity and summer weather has my hair a frizzy mess by the end of the day! Glad you are embracing the outdoor cycling. I think it’s time to pull my bike back out and get out there again

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it's a bummer that you're not running, but we always have to focus on what we CAN do, and you're especially good at that! There are plenty of people who can't run OR bike, or even get out of bed in the morning. We're definitely the lucky ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. six years for Voldemort! It seems like yesterday! I don't even bother doing my hair anymore. I wash it, scrunch it with curl cream and make a messy bun. It's the only way to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry you’re still so sore! When I fractured my rib I could run (on my tread) but didn’t ride my bike for a while — so, completely different!

    We’ve had nice temperatures but smokey air. :-(

    ReplyDelete