Tuesday, June 6, 2023

DAM to DSM Half Marathon - 2023 race recap


Oops, I did it again.

Another DAM race, on a favorite race course, that is.

This past weekend was my 16th DAM to DSM (formerly Dam to Dam). The weather was a bit on the steamy side (#understatement), but the event was its usual fun and challenging self. 

Truth be told, I just cannot stay away. This was my first long distance race, in 2008, and I have eagerly returned every year since. It's no surprise I feel a great deal of love and loyalty for the race course and all the D2D fanfare. 

Anyways, this was the 44th year of the iconic point-to-point race from the Saylorville Dam to downtown Des Moines. Originally a 20K distance (ending near the Center Street Dam), it changed to a half marathon the past few years. The route takes us through several miles of Iowa countryside, before crossing Interstate 80 just before the halfway point. The route then goes through some residential neighborhoods, a few winding trails along the Des Moines River, and we cross the finish line in downtown Des Moines.

This year, I was running solo, so I stayed with one of my daughters on Friday evening (she has a condo within a few blocks of all the D2D action). Since it's a point-to-point race, all runners need to be bussed to the start line. The shuttles began running at 5:00, and the last pick-up is at 6:00, allowing for ample time for the 7:00 race start. 

I walked over to the shuttle pick-up (only a few blocks away) and was on a bus before 5:45. It's about a 20-minute drive (give or take) from downtown out to the Saylorville Dam.

We'd been alerted, in days prior, about the warm weather forecasted for race day. Getting off the bus, though, the air was still feeling very cool and comfortable (around 66F with a slight breeze). I had every intention of bringing my ergonomic water bottle along...but it got left on my kitchen counter. On a whim, my daughter gave me a refillable wine "flask" to use. Although there would be plenty of water on the race course, I thought it wise to have water with me anyways.


I saw many familiar faces, and chatted with a several running friends as I did some stretching (dynamic and static) and a few warm-up moves. Making our way across the Saylorville Dam is a warm-up in itself, since it's nearly a mile across.

A favorite landmark I always make a point of looking for (and photographing) is the Principal Tower. At my first D2D, I remember the announcer telling us to take a good look at the Tower, off in the distance, because we'd be crossing the finish line right near it later in the morning. 

Can you see it? At about 9:00?

Anyways...

As much as I'd like to shoot for another sub-2 on this course, I knew this day would not be the day to go for it. Besides, the course had been altered a bit, in the final miles, due to road construction...so, in my mind, it wouldn't be a true PR anyways had I even attempted one, LOL. As mentioned, this point-to-point course has it all, and I wanted to just keep my focus on enjoying the trek to the finish line

The first mile is usually a bit of a cluster-rich nightmare (not unlike most races, right?). It seems like we're shoulder-to-shoulder for much of the first half mile, at the very least. Even though the temps weren't too warm (just yet), I could feel the humidity almost immediately after I crossed the start line. 

I made it through the first mile feeling good. My split showed 9:45, which seemed fast. I was dodging around clusters of people, making it feel like I was running much slower. 

The second mile had us going downhill, which felt pretty amazing. By then, the crowd of runners had thinned-out, so I didn't feel quite as claustrophobic. That split was deceptively fast (9:03) due to the decrease in elevation. I'd never used Salt Stick chews before, but I brought some with me, planning to take one every two miles. I pulled over, at the aid station, and refilled my "water" pouch (it was already empty).  

Back on the road, it was nice seeing so many spectators along the Iowa countryside. There also was intermittent entertainment (boom boxes, as well as live singers with guitars).

The third and fourth miles were pretty uneventful. My pace felt good, my energy was strong and I kept sipping from my water flask. Just before the 4-mile mark, I stopped to refill my water again. I also grabbed another Salt Stick chew and paused to snap another pic of the Principal Tower.

I also had some Honey Stinger chews with me, for fuel. I'd eaten a few right before the start line, and ate a few more around the 5-mile mark. Thankfully, there was a slight breeze because I was really feeling the heat by then. Onward!

A short while later, I could see Interstate 80 coming into view. I could also hear the vehicles honking, LOL. A fun part of the D2D course is when the route takes us over the I-80 overpass (just after the 6-mile mark). I'm sure most of the people in the cars are wondering where all the (crazy) runners are going. 

crossing I-80

There was another aid station, just past the overpass, so I pulled over (again) and took a minute to refill my water. I also took another Salt Pill chew. I wasn't really feeling thirsty, which was a good thing, but I was being careful to have a few sips of water every half mile or so.

Mile-7 takes us from the countryside into the city limits. It also takes us to the big hill. While this hill isn't especially treacherous, it's long. I had not taken any walk breaks up to this point (though I had stopped a few times for water and picture-taking). I was starting to feel a little fatigued. I decided to keep running until I'd made it past (what appeared to be) the halfway point, then power-walk the remainder of the hill. Believe me, I wasn't alone (I thought I'd gotten a pic of all the walkers in my midst, but it didn't show up later).

a pic of the hill (from last year)...it's much longer (and steeper) than it appears

The hill takes us into a residential area, with numerous people in lawn chairs enjoying the "morning-long parade" of runners. Most are clapping and cheering, and many have sprinklers or hoses. A short ways into the neighborhood, we pass the 8-mile mark. I slammed-down another Salt Stick chew, and refilled my water (yet again). Then I noticed a clump of porta-potties, with no line...so I took advantage of the opportunity.

just before the 9-mile mark

The next couple miles had us on open trails, winding through Birdland Park and vicinity, along the Des Moines River. By now, I was taking short walk breaks (and I wasn't alone). I wasn't feeling super tired, nor did I feel any noticeable aches or pains, but I think the heat (and humidity) was getting to me. I tried slowing my pace, but that took even more effort. Honestly, for me, it's just easier to run by feel (and take short walk breaks) than trying to sustain a "slower" pace. 

The final stretch of miles had us on the John Pat Dorrian Trail, as we approached the downtown area. There's a wonderful shaded area on the path, with a neat wooden walking bridge. The trail then takes us past the Botanical Center as we approach the Iowa Women of Achievement Bridge.

near the 11.5-mile mark

Crossing the Des Moines River, takes us to the 12-mile mark. From there we run along the river (going south for a short ways, head east (crossing the river again, but in the opposite direction), and then run back north. There's a final jaunt back to the east, and two more left turns puts us on Locust...one more jump across the river and the finish line awaits!

Yowza! Was that a hot finish! The last half mile or so was a little freaky, as I saw several runners down, getting first aid. I also heard several ambulance sirens. Upon crossing the finish line, numerous runners were commenting on how tough the race had been with the heat. Personally, I can handle the heat pretty well. When it happens (almost) overnight, though, without much (if any) opportunity to train in it, it can be train wreck for many, myself included.

the temps, about 45 minutes after I'd finished the race

So, how did I do? Definitely not my strongest race (ha!), but also not my worst either. As I said, I knew going in that this would not be a PR-friendly endeavor, so that relieved a lot of pressure (and expectations) right outta the gate. Also, I did stop several times to refill my water flask, which took maybe 30 seconds (?) each time. I also paused for pictures of the Principal Tower (you know #priorities). And there was that brief potty break in the 8th mile (maybe 30-45 seconds?). All things considered, my finish time reflects a lot more than just the walk breaks in the final miles, so I have no regrets on anything. 

My splits:
Mile 1 - 9:45      Mile 5 - 9:55     Mile 9 - 11:15
         2 - 9:03              6 - 10:10          10 - 11:16
         3 - 9:52              7 - 10:43          11 - 13:01
         4 - 9:40              8 - 12:40          12 - 11:53
                                                            13 - 11:31
My stats:
Official finish time - 2:21:55
Age group: 14th (out of 49)
Females:   594th (out of 1409)
Overall:    1649th (out of 2931) 

I also have said (numerous times) that I love this event and I love the race course. Admittedly, I was frustrated with the amount of walking I did, but I knew it was the smart thing to do. A bonus to walking some of the route is there's a much better opportunity to take in the atmosphere and the surroundings. And, quite honestly, I'm grateful my body allows me to do these kinds of distances, especially under less-than-ideal conditions. What's not to love about that!

The swag was pretty sweet! I love love love the pink shirts (for everyone, not just the women!). We also got headbands (which I wore on race day) and socks.

the shirt front (on left) and back (on right)

And the medal...need I say more? It's a thing of beauty, and is almost bigger than my entire hand!

by the way, the Principal Tower is slightly visible in the background...upper left of the medal

So, that's what went down on the DAM streets of Des Moines a couple days ago. Despite some tough (final) miles in the running shoes, I crossed the finish line empowered by the experience, rather than defeated by the struggle. Glass half full!

A few notes:
***This was my first time using Salt Stick chews, and all went well. Yes, that could have been a big race day no-no (using a new product), but I figured it was a good electrolyte-replacement strategy. I was a major sweaty saturated mess when I finished, but had ZERO issues with muscle cramping, etc.
***I also used Honey Stinger chews for fuel. I ate three before the race started; then a couple near the 5-mile mark, and just before the 10-mile mark.
***The water "flask" was a great spontaneous option! The pouch deflated as the water was consumed, making it easy to carry. It was pretty easy to refill...I just had to "blow" into the mouthpiece to "open" the pouch, then very carefully pour the water in. That said, the spout opening was pretty narrow, so it did take a bit of finesse to pour the water into it successfully.
***I'm proud to say, I had no blisters. Anywhere!



Your thoughts...Ever run a point-to-point race before? Got a favorite race that you've run every year since your first time on the course? Ever used a salt/electrolyte replacement during a race?

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up


By the way...are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

29 comments:

  1. Great job, Kim! That tower did come closer and closer during the race, ha!
    And I LOVE that swag, too.
    Your time is quite good, considering you took it easy - you still landed in the top third of your AG and in the top half of all ladies. You can be very happy with that!
    How did you schedule your Salt Sticks intake? By time or by mileage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I kind of winged it with the Salt Sticks. The package said to take 2 tablets every 15-30 minutes. Having never used them before, I compromised the dosage by taking one every 2 miles (approximately every 20 minutes). I'm definitely going to keep these in rotation, but will experiment with the dosage on any long runs I do.

      Delete
  2. Well done, excellent careful work that left you OK at the end. I love reading about this one every year! (LyzzyBee - won't let me log in).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It's such a fun & unique event...I can't imagine not doing it ;-)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! It sounds like a really fun day, although that temp- yowsa! Like Vienna but probably even more humid! Good job being smart with the salt chews (I've just started using those!) and the water/wine flask :) Great recap Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the salt chews! I wish I'd discovered them sooner!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on a medal well earned! The course sounds epic. I hope that you got to fill the wine pouch with the real thing that night;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! The wine pouch has been thoroughly rinsed out and is awaiting its next adventure ;-)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on #16! You are addicted :) That is a great swag haul. I share your thoughts on "slower" running. I do better with a run/walk approach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just cannot seem to run "slower" unless I'm legit tired. I know that sounds weird, but I blame my long legs, LOL

      Delete
  6. I always love your DAM to DSM race recaps. Congrats on another race finish and I love this year's medal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should come run D2D with me some year! I know you['re not a fan of the heat, but I'd do my best to keep you laughing and distract you from any uncomfortable weather ;-)

      Delete
  7. I love that you run this race every year. I also get annoyed when I have to walk so much... I should do run/walk the whole race but I'm stubborn like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often wondered if I should consider using run/walk (from the start line) on races like these when the heat is so intense. I can run a decent pace (when I'm actually running), so I'd think any "scheduled" walking wouldn't be much of a pace-breaker (?).

      Delete
  8. Great job, the medal and the swag were well earned.
    A fun day, another half done, a good finish time and beautiful pics, what else?
    I have run many point to point races in the past, all half marathons, mainly the famous Roma - Ostia.
    I always bring with me the replacements but I use them only if I feel very very tired.
    Brava!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically, I've only done this race, Grandma's Marathon (twice) and a10K as point-to-point races. I really think they're fun, despite the logistics in getting to the start line.

      Delete
  9. that heat really does take a toll especially at the start of the season. Glad you had a chance to do one of your favorite races and finish feeling good. Having your own water is always a good plan! Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten in the habit of carrying my own water this time of year (unless it's an unusually cool day). It worked out well refilling the flask intermittently at the aid stations.

      Delete
  10. Nice job Kim! I too had issues with the "heat" at my race on Sunday. Who would ever consider temperatures in the 70s as warm--except for runners who are going a long distance? I think all things considered, you did well. Walking is just part of the deal in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;-) I thought it felt cool, right off the bus...but as soon as I crossed the start line, the humidity hit me. Although I prefer to run (don't we all?), I don't mind taking walk breaks this time of year. I don't want to put myself in danger, or take a DNF via a stretcher or ambulance ride.

      Delete
  11. Congrats! The heat is so tough. It sounds like it was smart to take walk breaks! One of my favorite local races is a point to point, but I haven't done it since 2019. Hopefully I will be back in 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the point-to-point aspect...kind of knowing you just have to keep going forward cuz there's no turning back

      Delete
  12. Congrats, Kim on completing #16 of your favorite race! Bummer that it got so humid without time to acclimate. I just love running repeat races of my favorites, but I've never run that many of one race - well done! I've done a few point-to-point races: Boston, Big Sur, the JFK 50-Miler and the GW Parkway Classic. I've never done salt replacement either. I don't think it was as common as it is now back when I was running longer distances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of repeat races, and this one wins the prize as the most appearances ;-) I'm already registered for next year, LOL!

      Delete
  13. Congrats and well done, Kim! Nothing wrong with taking walking breaks, especially in those weather conditions. I like your swag and even more because it is pink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on #16 Kim! I think it's great that you retun to this race every year. Sounds like you managed the hot conditions well - I will have to look at those Salt Stick chews for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend the Salt Stick chews! They'd be great for any activity in the heat, and they're so easy to use.

      Delete
  15. I love that Principal Tower acts as as a "guiding light" during the race! You're a powerhouse even in such hot conditions and I think what was a major plus for you was how you fuelled and hydrated during the race. That is so often forgotten (or under-valued) and may explain all those casualties you spotted near the end! Well done on #16 - not a PB but still a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete