Monday, June 19, 2023

Summer '23 - What's On Tap


Here we are, on the verge of the official first day of Summer, and I'm eager for what's in store.

Summer is my favorite season, after all. Not just in terms of weather, but also in terms of daylight, color, and outdoor options aplenty. It's all good, save for the fact that the season is far too short.

Alas, that just means we need to appreciate every single day of it! It doesn't hurt to have some fun events and activities to look forward to...

So, here's what's on tap in my little world for Summer '23:

First off, there will be some races. A long time favorite race is the Sully Freedom Fun Run 5K on July 4th. I have done this race numerous times before, in 20142015201620182020, 2021 and last yearI had to skip in 2017 (I was enjoying luxury accommodations, via a hospital bed, recovering from surgery) and in 2019 (when I elected to run a different race).

from last year

Another must-run race is Midnight MadnessMy experience with the Midnight Madness festivities began in 2016 (recap), and it didn't go well. Let's just say this particular event, in that particular year, holds my one and only DNF to date. I returned in 2018 (recap) and redeemed myself with a third place AG in the 10K. The momentum continued in 2019 (recap), where I set two new course PR's (for the 5K and 10K) and brought home AG hardware for both. In 2021, I scored a third place AG in the 5K (recap), and last year I finally broke the 3rd place AG streak and brought home a first place AG for the 10K.

my first 1st place AG for Midnight Madness (2022)

There's going to be LOTS of biking, including the weekly rides on the hilly bike path. In 2021, my friend Amy and I got the idea to do these weekly rides, and it stuck. Other friends (and spouses) also joined us periodically. That first year, we made it to 20 continuous weeks, and last year we got in 25 weekly rides!


Speaking of biking, we're already scheming to do another century ride. Last year's inaugural century ride was a lot of fun, so why not do a repeat...except we're planning to switch-up the route this year. Stay tuned! 

with Barb, Mike and Amy, with 77.65 miles done

And, let's not forget RAGBRAI! This is a huge annual bike ride that takes place the last full week of July, and goes west to east, across the state of Iowa. While I have never done a full week, I rode Day-1 in 2021 and Day-7 last year. I'm tentatively planning to ride both Days 4 and 5 this year. Stay tuned for that as well!

RAGBRAI 2022

Anyways...that's what happening, at least through July. Come August, I may be ready for a nap, LOL. Actually, I don't have any fall races "officially" on the calendar yet, but I do plan to do the IMT Des Moines Half Marathon (mid-October), and possibly another half marathon in November. We'll see. Right now, my focus will be to enjoy the summer season with shorter distance running and long-distance biking. Well, and there will be some consistent cross-training to keep things in-check.

What do you have on your Summer '23 roster?  Any special races happening? Any big fall races to train for?   

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up


By the way...are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

12 comments:

  1. Sounds Ike a fun and active summer ahead for you with lots of races. I would expect nothing less! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun summer! Not surprised with all your activity and variety.

    I will race of course and get ready for fall - a few halfs but mostly importantly my 2nd full.

    I haven't kaken my bike out yet... maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I know you would have so many awesome things planned for the Summer? Looking forward to seeing all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how over the years the Midnight Madness Race went from a DNF to a 1st place award! Talk about Progress! I know you are a true Summer Girl - so enjoy every last bit of sunshine! As you know, its winter here, which I quite like - and I have a big race planned for 29 July where I am going to try and PB the Half.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have planned a summer full of nice events. I would like to spend some hours biking but here it's too dangerous because of traffic; moreover I'm not able to use the clips so, some years ago, I changed my beautiful racing bike with an e-bike.
    I don't have yet a race plan for this summer but I'm looking for some interesting event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go clipless, and it saves me a lot of worry and stress!

      Delete
  6. The RAGBRAI logistics are tricky! I'll need to have someone drop me off in Ames in Tuesday evening, then I'll ride the next morning (Wednesday), stay over that night and ride the following day (Thursday)...then have someone pick me up and bring me home. I'll have friends with me, so we'll probably be able to coerce a non-riding friend to do all the chauffeuring honors ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have lots of fun plans this Summer! I am looking forward to following along these fun adventures.

    ReplyDelete