Thursday, November 5, 2020

Currently...over coffee


Currently....over coffee, I might actually be drinking a cold beverage.

No, I don't mean an adult beverage either. We've had some unseasonably warm weather this week, so I've been downing the cold, flavored water like it's my job. Don't worry, I know this weather won't last, but I've been enjoying it on the daily (like that's my job as well).

None the less, it's that time of the month for gathering and gabbing. Imagine, if you will, a virtual coffee date with friends. What would you care to share?

Currently, over coffee, I'd have to talk a bit about biking. I mean, it HAS been my main fitness go-to for the past (almost) three months. That being said, I have been a little biking obsessed this week. We've had phenomenal weather (umm...temps in the high 60F's/low 70F's all week!), so it was in my best interest to take full advantage. Stay tuned, my 1,000-mile biking streak goal is getting closer!


Currently, over coffee, I'd tell you about my return to running. Yes, I'm back in the running shoes and it feels oh-so-fine. Prior to last weekend, I had done a few short 1/2-mile runs, but they were on the treadmill (more out of caution than desire). Last Saturday, though, I ventured outside and ran 3/4-mile, and I felt like a caged bird set free. This week, I've had a couple 1-mile runs (all outdoors), and it feels like old times. I am not running these miles "fast," by any means, but simply by feel. I have zero doubts about running the 5K turkey trot on Thanksgiving, especially since I won't be "racing" it.


Currently, over coffee I'd runfess about my brief run down memory lane. When I first became a runner (15+ years ago), I ran on the treadmill (like, all the time). When I tip-toed out of my comfort zone, and tried outdoor running, I had the most painful shin splints ever. After a few weeks, the shin splints disappeared and never returned...until last weekend. Thankfully, this version of shin splints only lasted a couple days, but ouch!


Currently, over coffee I'd invite you to join me in the Illinois Marathon Criss-Cross Challenge. This challenge officially started on November 5th and goes until marathon weekend (May 5th). Yes, it's another virtual event, but it's more of a 6-month get-me-through-the-winter endeavor than an actual virtual race. You have the option of doing the east-west route (224 miles) , the north-south course (435 miles), or BOTH. Any guesses what I chose? (hint: the Double). Go big or go home! Anyways, this will be an awesome incentive as I rally-back from the stress fracture (both walking and running miles count), and it comes with some pretty sweet swag. Check out the event site HERE, and the code BRP5OFF will save you $5 on your registration.


Currently, over coffee I'll encourage you to consider getting a ROADiD of your own, if you don't already have one. I've gotten in the habit of wearing one of mine every day (emergencies don't just happen when we're running or biking). There are so many colorful options and various sizes and styles to choose from, and everything is on sale (through Sunday)! Check out the site HERE. Even better, the code SHIPSFREE_KIMBERLY will reward you with free shipping. You're welcome.


Lastly, over coffee, I have another neat product to tell you about...the Koala Clip (website HERE). I bought one last year and used it profusely for carrying my phone while running. Well, with my running on sabbatical, the Koala Clip still got plenty of use for biking. It is a pouch, with a magnetic clip, that attaches to your sports bra strap, or shirt neckline, for carrying your phone. Stay tuned, I'll be doing a full review next week, but I have a discount code for that as well: runningonthefly10 will save you 10% on your purchase.


Anyways, that's it for this month's coffee talk. I hope you're staying healthy, keeping yourself safe, and getting in some good fitness. It's been a tough season, and it's been a rough year for all of us. There are a lot of things out of our control, but our attitude is all on us. Myself, I'm choosing to look for the sunrise and not dwell on the darkness.


How are things with you? What would you share over coffee (or the beverage of your choosing)?   

 Since it's the first weekend of the month, I'm linking this with Deborah and Coco for the Ultimate Coffee Date.


I'm also linking this with Meranda and Lacey for the Friday with Fairytales and Fitness link-up. 


Are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram Pinterest Twitter

29 comments:

  1. Yes!! Lovely to see you back running outside!! Hooray! I love your top to bottom and side to side challenge. I'm currently running from Land's End to John O'Groats in the UK, across the US in the tyre tracks of Ben the 401 Marathons runner and around the Iceland Ring Road and I do enjoy seeing my progress.

    If I was joining for a beverage it would be my new fave, Dark Grey (Twinings blend of Earl Grey and Lapsang) and I would be whining about the cold and dark for my pre-breakfast runs/ raving about the sunrise this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it feels awesome to be back outside, in the running shoes. It's really hard NOT running further than these easy 1-milers (this week), but I'm being patient and easing back on the distance. It's such a rewarding journey ;-)

      Delete
  2. I've heard good things about the Koala clip already -- most of the time I have enough pockets in my outfit, but occasionally I don't.

    Shin splints are something I don't suffer with, not even when I started to run. Other areas of my body are quite a different story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not had shin splints since those early days, so these took me by surprise. I think it's from the pavement pounding, even though I was running easy. I have not have any more issues with them this week, so I think they're (again) history.

      Delete
  3. So good to see running photos of you again! For sure you will be fine for the upcoming Turkey Trot.
    I have just mailed the director of the Illinois Marathon Criss-Cross Challenge. I was wondering whether they send the race swag to an address outside the US. For the entry fee it would be nice to have the great swag. Let's see what they say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would be fun to have you do the Challenge, too! I'll keep you posted on the RW Running Streak as well ;-)

      Delete
  4. Hooray for a return to running. Coming back after a hiatus always reminds us just how hard running is. That Criss-Cross Challenge looks eerily similar to the Race Across IL I did a few months back. I feel for the race directors of the world as we tire of virtual fare. Isn't this weather amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the Challenge does resemble the other IL one from the summer. This one, I believe has a specific route (both ways), and we get info about the various towns we "run" through along the way. I'm always up for a fun challenge, and this one will has perfect timing with my rally-back ;-)

      Delete
  5. It is so good to see you back to running! We've been loving the November warm spell that we're having.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see you coming back to running! You look really happy. Have to take full advantage of this warm weather week because we know what's coming. 1000 miles wow! thanks for joining for coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am happy ;-) There's always something to smile about ;-)

      Delete
  7. It is definitely the time of year to take advantage of good cycling weather when you can! We’ve had a mild week, but I haven’t been able to play hooky from work.

    So glad your return to running is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good cycling weather has really been optimal this week...

      Delete
  8. I saw the Koala Clip last year and I kept meaning to try it but then I forgot. Thanks for putting it on my radar again!

    The Illinois Marathon Criss-Cross Challenge sounds pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Koala Clip is really a nice option! I hate how fuel belts fit me...

      Delete
  9. I did the NYS Challenge - it was motivating but now I'm trying not to spent the $$ but still stay motivated.

    Never had shin splints - plenty of other problems. My feet continue to hurt :(

    We had cold weather and now it's nice. I have a real half on Nov 15 - fingers crossed for no rain or snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had shin splints the one time before, so I'm pretty sure it was from the pavement "pounding."

      Delete
  10. I have never (knock on wood) had shin splints, but they sound just awful! I love that you have been able to keep up with biking when running was a no go. I love that it has worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biking has been a great "fill-in" for running, but it's here to stay ;-)

      Delete
  11. I'm so happy to see you return to running. And, I'm glad your shin splints were short-lived!

    Have fun with your Criss-Cross Challenge! I give all of these RDs credit as they try to keep runners engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back to running, Kim! I am so happy for you. That must feel great. If you are having the same weather as we are in PA, it feels like perfect running weather to me.

    Good luck on the Criss Cross Challenge. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Iowa weather has been perfect...wish it would stay awhile.

      Delete
  13. You're back! I'm glad you're on the mend. And the 1,000 miles on the bike? Wow! We have had really warm weather this week too so we gotta enjoy it while it lasts!

    I love my Road ID. Once they created the Sidekick that sealed the deal - I still need to get one for Bret's Fitbit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my Road ID, too. Now that I have several options (colors and styles), I have no excuse for not wearing it ;-)

      Delete
  14. I love that you're back to running again! Easy does it and we'll both be back to our old running selves soon!

    Please share, what your favorite flavored water brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the store brand version of Mio drops...Cherry Limeade and Black Cherry are da bomb(s)!!

      Delete
  15. I was team iced coffee this morning post-run. So delicious on these warm days. Oops, I saw Jenn's post first re: Road ID, but I think I bought my first with your code so yay for spreading ambassador love around.
    Glad you're feeling solid about the turkey trot and love that pic with your pony tail looking excited too

    ReplyDelete