Thursday, November 26, 2020

Shall we 'fess up already?


Here we are...time to 'fess up and feel good about it.

Things have continued to stay on the crazy side "normal," but 2020 is winding down.  It's been a tough year, in so many capacities. It's also been a year of change, adjustment, and growth...none of which are bad. 

Alas, as November winds down, there are a few current things I'd like to bring to the 'fessional... 

So, you all know I've been biking like a banshee with a stress fracture, right? Well, in all honesty, it's been BECAUSE of my stress fracture, because I was forbidden from fitness'ing on foot (for those first couple of months). Thus my bike streak (the #sfxbikestreak, on Insta) was born. Don't get me wrong, this streak has been nothing short of wonderful. Biking has become a valuable vice in my fitness arsenal, even more than it was before the Streak began. But, Sunday (November 29th) will be Day 100...and let me #bikestreakfess that I will be celebrating the grand finale sometime before sundown. I will continue biking, just not on a daily basis. Rest assured, though, biking is here to stay.


Speaking of biking, I have been waiting (and waiting) for a gel seat cover to arrive. I ordered it on October 3rd, off a Facebook ad (and I really should have known better). As soon as I completed the order, the email confirmation told me my order "was being processed, but due to the increased demand, it may be 2-4 weeks before it arrives." Nice. After several attempts to access the link to track my order (which, coincidentally, kept defaulting to French), I emailed their customer service department and requested a refund. Can I #fitnessfess that I wasn't even the slightest bit excited when the long-awaited seat cover arrived this week? Ironic that Gustavas, my bike, will going into hibernation in a couple days!

Most know (and have seen) that I've been back in the running shoes this month. I'm quite grateful that the transition back to running (and walking) has gone so smoothly. I have to #musicfess, though, that a byproduct of all the biking is that I seemed to have lost my dependency on music for mojo. On an especially cold and rainy morning, a couple weeks ago, I decided to keep things inside...and opted to run my (then) longest post-stress fracture run (2 miles!) on the treadmill. Imagine my surprise when it wasn't until the final 1/4-mile that I realized I'd forgotten to bring my earbuds and music along with me. Who am I and what have I become?



In keeping with my annual tradition of early winter running, I will be embarking on the 2020 Runner's World Winter Run Streak. Yes, I am coming off of a stress fracture recovery (believe me, no one is more aware of that than myself LOL). This will also be my eighth consecutive year doing the winter streak (from Thanksgiving Day through New Year's Day), so I know the routine well, and so does my body. With my rally-back in full swing, things are feeling good. That said, my mileage is still really low...and I intend to keep it that way. This is actually an ideal time for a 5-week streak because of the low mileage. I'm excited to #runfess that for the first time, in a long time, I'm not stressing over the usual weather stalking that accompanies a streak because I won't be stalking it. This year, I plan to take each day as it comes, and if I have to run that an occasional mile inside, with Milly, so be it.

Finally, in the spirit of the season, let me express my gratitude for not only the sport of running, but also the tribe of runners who I call my friends. My local turkey trot had to assume virtual status this year, but I had the support and encouragement from many virtual runner friends who trotted with me in spirit. Also, this 5K Trot signified my longest run in over three months. Those 3.1 miles felt almost effortless, and solidified my return to running. I'll just #runfess it here and now...it feels awesome to be back!




So, that's the latest and (somewhat) greatest. 

Anything you'd like to #runfess? Ever have issues with online orders arriving way late? Are you ready for winter? Any turkey trotting? 

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up.

I'm also linking this with Meranda and Lacey for the Friday with Fairytales and Fitness link-up. 

Are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

24 comments:

  1. Online orders arriving late? How about furniture? My sectional, ordered in July finally arrived this week! That was quite the ordeal with multiple postponements. I'm just glad it's here and yes, it was worth waiting for.

    Nice photo collage! Thank you for organizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you received notice of the postponements...this idiotic site totally left me in the dark. I didn't have much invested, so it's really a first world problem on my end, but so annoying. I gotta ignore those FB ads LOL

      Delete
  2. Awww how cute is that turkey collage?? Thanks for putting that together! Grateful to have you and everyone in my life! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Turkey Trot collage - how cute! I'm thankful that you're in my flock as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love the collage! Thanks for including me. So much fun to see everyone together. Grateful for our friendship happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you'd be included <3 I'm quite grateful for all your support, encouragement and friendship ;-)

      Delete
  5. LOVE LOVE the collage. I did TWO virtual turkey trots...not the same but it's done.

    GL with your streak. I've never and will never do a running streak. Mine is walking/running everyday. I hope to keep that one up.

    Only one problem with an online order that took months to come from China. It was a beanie and sunglasses arrives and guess what? I broke them lol

    I used to always run wiht music too. Don't know why I stopped. I think I got sick of my playlist. Switched to podcasts and never looked back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My iPod Shuffle died on me last year, right before the MCM, and I learned if I can run 26.2 miles all alone sans music (in the rain, no less), I probably don't really "need" it as much as I'd thought. I don't have music with me for biking, so I'm really out of the routine of having it with me for anything these days.

      Delete
  6. I am really shocked that music has become optional for running for me as well. Definitely a huge change from the old days. Congrats on the Century streak with Gustavas. I'm kind of tempted to try a streak...I don't feel like running long distances right now and it seems like a fitting way to close out 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I'd love to have a streaking buddy! As I said, my mileage is going to stay low...once I work back up to the 5-mile distance, I'm going into a holding pattern until after the new year (or longer). There will be a lot of 1-milers in this streak to keep things simple & low-maintenance ;-)

      Delete
  7. I love the collage of us runners and I'm grateful to have each and everyone of them in my life, especially you! Thank you for putting it together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! It was fun putting the collage together ;-)

      Delete
  8. Aww that collage made me smile! Grateful to have you as part of my running tribe!

    Congrats on closing in on 100 days of biking! So glad it served you so well in your rally back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biking was such a perfect fit in getting me through the stress fracture ordeal. Honestly, I really didn't miss running that much because I had a a great shift-in-focus with Gustavas ;-) Thank you, Michelle, for being a valuable part of my tribe as well <3

      Delete
  9. Way to go on your bike streak! I am usually not a streaker but I have done (shorter) yoga streaks. I must yogafess, I was always so glad to end them. I usually had some way to celebrate the end! By the way...love those red tights. So cute! Good luck with the Runners World Streak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...the streaks make for great challenges, but I'm usually quite content to see them end LOL

      Delete
  10. It's always great to grow and change as an athlete, which you are Kim. Kinda sad it had to happen with a stress fracture, but look at all the good that has come from it!

    I can see how your annual streak will be totally doable (even though it still doesn't appeal to me, LOL!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this biking thing was a great thing to come out of the stress fracture. Even though I had a head start on (already) enjoying biking, this gave me time to focus on it. NO regrets ;-) And, I totally understand streaking not appealing to everyone...I totally get that because I was that way for a long time myself.

      Delete
  11. I think I mentioned before that I do not do well when it comes to streaks, but I'm sending you good vibes for yours. Great collage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! I'm typically not a streaker, but I enjoy them for short periods of time, especially for something like running. There's no way I could do it long term, or year-round (or would want to LOL).

      Delete
  12. Well, you know my shoe saga — at least you got what you ordered! I think Amazon has spoiled us with speedy delivery. So glad you are ending the year healthy and strong! Love the Thanksgiving collage! We’re so lucky to have this supportive community.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just loved the collage you made! It really brightened a race-less day. <3

    I don't use music very much anymore. I was just thinking I should charge my headphones just in case, but then... nah.

    ReplyDelete