Sunday, November 29, 2020

Thankful, Grateful...and oh so Blessed


It was quite a week.

Although there's plenty to be grateful for on a daily basis, Thanksgiving Week is a perfect time to really zero-in on all that is good. Granted, there are many "bad" things that are out of our control. Ultimately, though, our attitude and perception of everything (good and bad) is all on us.

At least that's how I see things LOL.

But first, welcome to the Weekly Run Down

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 1:00 (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


So, here's what went down in my little world this week:

Another #nevermissaMonday to cherish.
Now, this is my kind of "winter" (even though it's still technically Fall on the calendar). The temps were a cold 25F, but the wind was a no-show and the sky was clear. I got out for a couple of #ODarkThirty miles before work, and this run was total perfection. Later, after work, I cranked out five miles on the indoor bike.
Thankful for an easy Tuesday spent indoors.
The weather outside was cold, damp and downright yucky, so Milly and I did a couple miles of early morning hilly hiking inside. The weather never improved, so Sebastian to the rescue ... seven post-workday miles, also inside (BTW, he's our stationary bike).
  

Excited to be "tapering" on Wednesday.
With Tuesday's weather on repeat, and my longest run (post-stress fracture) happening the next morning, I was thankful to keep things low-key. Milly and I did a repeat 2-mile hilly hike before heading to work. There also was a 5-mile ride with Sebastian, but I'll spare you another picture of him and me (you're welcome).

Grateful for another successful Turkey Trot!
I met up with Barb, and we ran our virtual 5K, then I headed over to the usual site of our Turkey Trot meet-up. Even though our local Trot had to go virtual, there still were many trotters dropping off food and monetary donations for our local food bank. Wow. The generosity of our community is quite amazing! Also, the 5K run felt great! We kept a decent (but easy) pace, all while talking (and laughing) nonstop, confirming that my endurance and stamina are rallying back as well. The afternoon blessed us with temps in the mid-50F's and sunshine, so I took Gustavas out for five miles after our Thanksgiving dinner (see title pic above). Yes, I'm pretty certain that's my first-ever Thanksgiving bike ride, outside none the less! 

A fantastic Friday, worthy of celebrating.
That quick 1-mile ((streak)) run wasn't gonna run itself, so after some early morning procrastinating, I adjusted the pony knot and headed out. Upon my return home, there may have been 10 miles of indoor cycling (just saying) and an afternoon of Iowa football (victorious over the Nebraska Cornhuskers) and Iowa basketball (also victorious, over the Southern University Jaguars).

A successful Saturday of fitness as well.
Just like old times, Barb and I met up for a long Saturday morning run...only, at the moment, a 3-mile run is considered "long" for me LOL. Honestly, I feel like I could easily run farther, but I am honoring my stress fracture recovery and not being a hero. I did a 1-mile walk (for a warm-up), then walked an additional 1/2-mile back home (kind of a cool-down) after our run. I may have also done five miles on the indoor bike as well...just saying.


The temps climbed to the mid-50F's by the afternoon. Knowing this kind of weather would not be sticking around, I headed out for another 5-mile ride, this time with Gustavas. Although the bike streak is concluding, the temptation for one last hurrah outdoors was overwhelming for Day 99...so I took advantage. Wouldn't you?

And another sunny Sunday!
With just a 1-mile streak run on the roster, it was the perfect opportunity to break out the holiday leggings! These particular ones are flannel-lined, but aren't especially warm in the wind...but for a mere one mile endeavor, they were ideal. Our church has been online streaming since Covid entered the scene, so Sebastian and I knocked out another 10 miles during "church." We've gotten really spoiled attending services in our workout clothes. Glass half full. 


So, as mentioned, it was quite a week. I'm excited to be running again; it feels like I never stopped. This week saw 10 miles...my first double digit week since early August. Walking had 12 miles. The biking, in scale-down mode, had 52 this week. I tweaked my elbow awhile ago, so I have been going easy on upper-body strength work recently, but am hoping to get in a short workout later on Sunday. I took a pass on focused lower-body strength this week...with all the biking I have been doing, additional lower-body work has not been a priority.

In case you missed out, here's what else went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair!  Friday was a very Iowa Hawkeye focused day, so it was only appropriate to don the team colors. Nothing wrong with showing my alma mater some love, right? As always, you're welcome to join me on Fridays...post a pic on Instagram, grab the hashtag (#FridayFashionFlair) and be sure to tag me (@runningonthefly).


Thanksgiving was very quiet this year. The oldest daughter (and fiance') were in a car, Pennsylvania-bound (but they left the granddoggy with us). The youngest daughter wasn't feeling well, so she stayed home. So, it was just the hubby, the son and myself for dinner. All three of us are Iowa alums, so we spent a good four hours playing Iowaopoly (very similar to the original game, Monopoly, but with numerous Iowa City landmarks and nuances).



As mentioned, we've had our granddoggy, Lola, with us while her mommy and daddy are traveling (isn't she the cutest?). Max has (mostly) been  happy to have her here.


So far, we have the two main trees up and lit (and bedecked with ribbons). Ornaments are yet to come LOL.


And, finally, this image popped up while scrolling Instagram. It totally spoke to me, because I believe (and try to adhere) to everything it states.



So, that's it for now. I hope you all had a safe and healthy week. If you celebrated Thanksgiving, I hope you had the opportunity to gather (in a socially-distanced manner) with family and friends. 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

34 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving despite it being small! Sounds like your return to running is going well. 10 miles this week is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ;-) It feels good to be back in a routine of sorts. It'll be great when I get back up to the 5-mile distance, so Barb and I can resume our #5at5's!

      Delete
  2. This weather has been amazing, hasn't it? I just came in from decorating out outside tree. The whole neighborhood puts up little trees and it's really cool to drive around when they are lit. I wish winter was like this all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the kind of winter I could embrace LOL I don't mind the cold (much), but keep that %$*& wind outta here...

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your return to running DD's (double digits)! It was just the two of us and the dog for Thanksgiving and we had a good time of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised how nice a quiet Thanksgiving could be. I really missed not having the daughters with us, but I'm still so thankful for all we have <3

      Delete
  4. A lovely week and a great careful strong build up of your running - well done for both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to play Monopoly, but it's such a time commitment that I can rarely get anyone to play. But we also have a version with an electronic bank, which is a much shorter game. So fun! Fun that you are doggie sitting. She's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Monopoly, too, but it is a hard sell LOL This Iowa version was fun, but it got confusing because the money was all colored differently then the original version, and all the properties were colored differently as well. I'm glad I was only drinking water!

      Delete
  6. I can't remember the last time I played monopoly! How fun. And that doggie is so adorable! I just want to give him a hug. He is so fluffy looking. I love your holiday leggings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always enjoyed Monopoly, but it's tough to get others to share in my enthusiasm. This worked out well, probably because the daughters weren't here (one is an Iowa State grad, the other a student...and that's Iowa's big interstate rival).

      Delete
  7. We had a Saturday warm-up here in Minneapolis too- it was a nice surprise! Made for a lovely long run. That sounds like a nice low-key Thanksgiving. Lola is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the quietest Thanksgiving we've had since having kids...usually my parents join us, and my sister has in recent years as well. Such is the 2020 reality LOL

      Delete
  8. Love to hear that your running is going well. I love Monopoly but haven't played in ages.

    I'm in the midst of decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been several years since I've played Monopoly, too. I'll be decorating, intermittently, for the next week or so LOL

      Delete
  9. So glad to hear that the annual turkey trot was still able to collect a lot of money and donations for the food bank. The food banks are in desperate need of both so that warmed my heart to see that!

    I love Monopoly but my family hates it so I never have anyone to play with lol. Your grand dog Lola is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that settle it. You need to come for a visit. We can play Monopoly, go for a run in our Adrenalines, and squirrel-watch while we enjoy a pizza ;-)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a good week overall. Congrats on an easy feeling 3 miles! It's not secret that I haven't been running much, and this week's 6 miles was the first time I've seen that in a while -- at least it felt good!

    Yes, despite everything going on, still SO much to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to see your 6-miler went well ;-) You're totally correct...there's ALWAYS much to be grateful, despite the challenging times.

      Delete
  11. I am so happy to see you back running regularly again! I bet Barb is glad to have you back. And now you have more indoor activities you love as well. Hope your Thanksgiving was nice xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it ironic that I have all these indoor options readily available now that the running is returning? I have to figure out a schedule to utilize all my indoor toys (without overdoing it). Stay tuned...it's going to be a major balancing act

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh, that puppy is so cute! It feels too soon for those Christmas tights, but I know it’s not. I’m excited to get my new InkNBurn holiday top and will wear it as soon as it arrives. I won’t be putting up our tree this weekend, but I’m sure I will get around to it.

    Thanks again for doing the photo collage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it seems early for Christmas lights...but Thanksgiving really crept up on us, too LOL It will be strange to get in the spirit this year with all the restrictions, but if anything, 2020 has taught us to go with the flow ;-)

      Delete
  13. We certainly cannot complain about this mostly awesome late-November weather. Mom Nature continues to outdo herself. Lola is SO cute! How fun to have her staying over! Glad your holiday was nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have sweet Lola until Wednesday evening (or possibly Thursday morning), so it's been a fun little undertaking ;-) Mom N was doing well until this afternoon...she sprang crazy wind at us again! She needs to pick a lane LOL

      Delete
  14. I feel honored to have gotten a sneak peak at the picture of Lola via text! :-) She is such a cutie and I'm happy that Max is "mostly happy" to have her visiting. Is he jealous of her?

    Here's hoping your run streak goes well. You've gotta love where you are now after hobbling around in the humongous boot all fall! High five, Kim!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max has had Lola here before (when the daughter was still in PA and would come home for a few days at a time), so he's learned to put up with her. Oh gosh, I am SO thankful at where I am now in comparison to three months ago! Frank was not a nice "guest" in my household LOL

      Delete
  15. I'm so glad you had a nice Thanksgiving week, although I'm sorry your daughter wasn't feeling well. Lola is an absolute doll baby. We will be dog sitting next week, and I can't wait.

    Your trees are gorgeous. I am starting to feel so festive, and it's helping my overall awful mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting the trees up is a major undertaking...the "white" one is over 9-ft tall and I don't know how many rows of branches LOL I feel very festive when that one is done!

      Delete
  16. Yay on the run streak!

    My nephew is a huge fan of Monopoly. There is also the Chicago version of it. The last time we played was last year on Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had this Iowaopoly version for many years, but never think to get it out. It's a pretty big time commitment, so the kids don't usually want to even start it. I loved Monopoly as a kid!

      Delete
  17. Yeah I'm right there with you I'm trying to keep it as low key as possible. My doctor and therapist said a half hour to 35 minutes running max for the first few weeks. Even though I want to do more, I'm gonna be smart and not overdo it. If I have to be out for longer I'll walk the rest. Hoping your comeback continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad your return to running continues to go well!

    Monopoly is big in our house - I love a good board game to bring the family together :)

    ReplyDelete