Saturday, March 23, 2024

Oh, the Irony!


Isn't it ironic?

The weather, that is. I mean, we all knew the pre-summer fun of recent wasn't going to last. This week's drastic temperature plummet (and accompanying precip), though, was a bit much. 

But, it is what it is. We certainly don't have the power to change the weather (if only, LOL!), but we do have 100% control of how we deal with it.

Anyways, before I drop the deets for the week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)



So, buckle-up, here's what went down this week in my little world of fun workouts and whatnot:

Sunday Funday
With a busy day on tap (gee, what's new?), I was up and at it, quite literally. Another stair workout, this one with alternating intervals of 20 flights of single-steps and double-steps; 100 total flights of climbing, followed by three (or so) miles on the elliptical. I was able to get out for a 2-mile brisk walk in the evening. Other than that, I spent most of the day with packing tape-in-hand...all while dressed in green for St. Patrick's Day.
  
Never miss a Monday
The morning was cold and dark, so I kept things indoors...five miles on the elliptical and some upper-body strength and core work.

After work, I layered-up and donned the fleece tights and a familiar puffer vest for a quick 2-mile stress-relieving run. At least the sunshine was bright and beautiful. I guess Momma N wanted to go out with a bang for Winter's last day.

Low-key Tuesday TLC
I'll be elaborating on this in a future post, but the stress level of my soon-to-relocate status has been through the roof. I'm lucky to be getting four hours of sleep most nights - thankfully, I function pretty well with limited slumber, LOL. Tuesday had me on the bike in the wee hours (eight miles) before heading to the office (amidst all the packing boxes). It was cold, but sunny, so Michele and I were able to get our two 1-mile walks done, and I got out for another walk after dinner (this time a 2-miler).

A not-too-wild Wednesday
Allison and I met-up for the #5at5, being careful to keep our route more east/west (as opposed to north/south) due to the crazy wind. No walking at work (because, #brrr), but I did get out for another 2-mile walk in the evening.

Thankful Thursday
When Deb asked about my fatigue/busyness, regarding my availability for our weekly Thursday hour of power, I laughed. It is because of my busyness (and let's not forget stress) that I'd be ready, willing, and able to meet at 05:00. In fact, I awoke before my 4:30 alarm, LOL. Her and I walked together (virtually), netting me four miles).

Afterwards, I cued-up a few short strength workouts (via Peloton). Chest, arms/upper-body, and core for the win! I even got in another 1-mile walk, at work.

Freaky Friday
I knew the temps were gonna get even colder, but seeing the "frost" on the ground (when I let Max out, upon wakeup) was unnerving. Imagine my surprise, less than an hour later (after 10 miles on the bike), seeing a thick layer of snow on the ground after I emerged from the basement. Then, driving to work in an impromptu slick and icy blizzard was totally unappreciated. The heavy snow continued until late morning. Thankfully, a lot of it was melted by end of day when I went for a 2-mile walk after work...but #yuck.

No-serenity Saturday
With a busy day of (still more) packing/sorting/organizing/cleaning, I had no choice but to get out for an early morning run (five miles). Yes, this was a definite winter-rewind adventure, but I nailed the layering game and all went well. Seeing the beautiful sunrise was well worth all the extra layers.


...and Sunday?
Believe it or not, there is more packing to do! The weather is looking cold (again) and wet (again, as well), so I'll probably hit the stairs in the early hours. Maybe I'll get lucky and will be able to sneak in a quick walk outdoors before the continued pre-moving fun gets underway.

So, yeah. Things are crazy, and the #ish is getting real. It's been super stressful keeping all the details in order for all that's happening this next week. Let's just say that sleep is overrated and stress is my adrenaline, LOL. This week saw 12 miles of running, 15 miles of walking, and 18 miles on the bike. The cross-training was minimal, but I'm not in a panic over that (ha! there's plenty of other stuff to entertain my thoughts at the moment). 

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. It was a Flannel Friday amidst all the cold and snow. That might be a smirk disguised as a smile, but oh well. I'm just glad each day takes us that much closer to our "real" Spring, and ultimately closer and closer to Summer. Hopefully, this little Winter detour ends almost as quickly as it appeared. 

A pleasant surprise this week was seeing  this petunia in bloom! I always bring in my hanging baskets over winter, but this is the first time there's been any action such as this.

This meme speaks volumes!

These are my daffodils. They were on the verge of blooming when Friday's unwelcome snow showed up. 


Finally, I have to give a shoutout to Jasmin Paris! This is quite a feat! Completing the Barkley Marathon is not for the weak or fearful.


Anyways, that's a wrap on another action-packed (see what I did there?) week. This next week will be a doozy, and next weekend's WRD will be coming to you from a new locale. My wifi situation is going to be tricky next weekend, so please bear with me. I may be horribly late in reading/commenting/replying to all the linked blogs.

How did your first few days of Spring feel? Did you have a winter relapse situation as well? Did you wear green for St. Patrick's Day? Ever heard of the Barkley Marathon?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

24 comments:

  1. We had a similar week weather wise!! So snowy each day and cold and ended with snow covered daffodils. I wish spring would come and stay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only had snow on Friday, but it still was a major buzzkill!

      Delete
  2. Yep, snow here and while it was pretty for a minute, I was over it very quickly. Good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did look pretty as it was falling, but that's where it ended, LOL.

      Delete
  3. Moving is always stressful! Just keep remembering how happy you will be when you are settled in your new home. Hope you get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably won't get much rest until Friday evening (after the last box or piece of furniture is brought in and the truck pulls away). And then, I may be too excited to actually fall asleep, right?

      Delete
  4. We are definitely "paying" for the mild February we had. The poor daffodils are struggling. All the best with the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we are definitely paying for the early spring/summer temps a few weeks ago.

      Delete
  5. I am sorry you are not sleeping well, I know that does not help with your stress levels! When you cycle indoors do you follow a class or just do your own thing? I cannot believe you got snow! I am glad you were able to see the sunrise on your Saturday run. We don’t live too far from Frozen Head park where the Barkley Marathon is held. We will be doing some hiking there this spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment, most of my indoor cycling is on my own. My Peloton membership is not the all-inclusive thing. With their changes in subscriptions/memberships (a few months ago), I have access to all the strength classes (as well as lots of other stuff) but my cycling classes are limited to only three per month. I plan to upgrade after I get situated in my new place, though. I knew I wouldn't be "needing" all the cycling classes these past couple months anyways, so it hasn't been a deal-breaker. I often times cue-up a cardio class and listen to the playlist.

      Delete
  6. You've got a lot on your plate right now and I admire how you're able to stay focused on your workouts. You've got this and in two weeks you'll be completely settled in your new place and it will all be in your rearview mirror.

    How exciting to see Jasmin Paris finish Barkley, and with less than two minutes to spare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not followed the Barkley Marathons closely, but I do know how crazy tough they are! I did see that she attempted it last year (I think?), but wasn't able to finish it on time.

      Delete
  7. SERIOUSLY? Here I was thinking winter was over for you guys. Well... I grew up in the midwest and I can remember plenty of snowy Easters (yuck.). As you said- every day is getting you closer to REAL spring. And summer!
    Moving is one of the most stressful things a person can go through. It sounds like next weekend you'll be in your new place? This week will probably be insane- good luck with it- but then it will be over. We'll be thinking about you. GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be in my new place Thursday evening, but the moving truck won't be there until Friday. As little sleep as I've gotten in recent weeks, I'm thinking I could probably fall asleep standing up (leaning against the refrigerator, LOL).

      Delete
  8. I love the oddness of the Barkley marathons!! My trainer talked about it a year or so ago and after learning about it, we watch a lot of it on YouTube. Fantastic to hear about Jasmin Paris!
    It's so depressing to get snow at this time of the year, isn't it? But you certainly get the most out of indoor workouts! My obvious question now is - will you have stairs in your new house?
    Good luck with the move and everything around it. It will soon be over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, indeed there's two stairways (down to the basement and up to the second level). I told my realtor that was a major criteria ;-)

      Delete
  9. It’s definitely been winter like here — at least in the early morning hours.

    Packing is exhausting! The work on organizing helps on the other end though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a great opportunity to purge SO MUCH that needed to be gone, so it's all been good. But, yes, the exhaustion is surreal!

      Delete
  10. Eek! Moving day is getting so close...lots of ish that will get real and then be over as soon as the move is done. HANG IN THERE MY FRIEND!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could hardly bear to watch the twitter feed at the end of the Barkley, and had to get my friend to tell me if she'd done it or not. So amazing, what a role model. I'm sorry you're having so much stress over your move and hope it calms soon. (LyzzyBee)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was out of the loop that Barkley was even happening. Then, I saw everything on social media after she'd finished. Yes, quite a role model!

      Delete
  12. OMG the South Park spring meme is the best. So perfect. I was on the hunt for some Daffys yesterday and they all drowned in Saturday rain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am obssessed with the Barkley Marathons, and have been for years! Jasmin is a QUEEN. I am so proud of her. Spring is weird here. It's a little warmer, but also colder, but also raining and stormy, but... That's just Florida. I'm sorry this move is so stressful. It's going to feel so wonderful once you are settled. <3

    ReplyDelete