Monday, March 4, 2024

Leprechaun Chase 10K - 2024 recap


The luck o' the Irish? The luck o' the Chase?

Maybe it was a little o' both, but this past weekend had me donning o' the green and me running shoes and pinning on a race bib. This was my 10th time taking part and I was eager for a good time...

Now in its 14 year, the Leprechaun Chase is a race like none other. It's a friendly competition between lads and lasses (in other words, guys and gals) all on a quest for a first place finish and a celebratory free green beer for their comrades.

I'm no stranger to this event. Prior to 2020, there also had been a Des Moines-based Leprechaun Chase, which I had run six times  (2014, 201520162017, 2018 and 2019).  When the sponsoring company decided to discontinue the Des Moines Chase, I ventured to Omaha in 2020 (I had won a free registration from the previous year's Des Moines event). That had been my first time "racing and chasing" on Nebraska soil (2020 recap HERE). In 2021, as things were starting to open back up, the Chase was relocated to Papillion (which allowed for more social distancing practices). I took a  pass in 2022, but I returned last year (2023 recap HERE) and gave it another go since it was back at its original location, the SAC Museum (in nearby Ashland).

With a 4:00 start time, Barb and I elected to make the 3-ish-hour trip to Omaha (and vicinity) just on race day, then drive back home afterwards. We arrived at the SAC (Strategic Air Command Museum) shortly after 3:00, to find a nasty traffic jam awaiting us. Unbeknownst to the Chase peeps, another event  had been booked at the SAC as well, causing an unforeseen parking nightmare. Things were handled in an organized manner, but it did cause a 20-minute delay on the start time.

The delay was a blessing, though, because it gave us a little extra time to walk around, stretch our legs, and check-out a few of the aircraft on display.

   

Due to the delayed start, and overly crowded conditions, it was difficult lining up. A fun and unique aspect, since the SAC is essentially an aircraft hangar, is the ceremonial opening of the hangar door, revealing the the "split" start line...lads to the left, lasses to the right.

    

Barb and I were crowded way far back, and it was a very slow shuffle making our way outside, to the start line. As mentioned, this race is actually a good-natured chase. The gals get a head start, then 5-1/2 minutes later, the guys are released to "chase" them. Only, with our slow walk to the start line, well after the "GO!" command, we'd barely made it across said start line when the lads took off after the lasses.

Usually, with the 5-1/2-minute delay, I'm well past the first mile marker when the first herd of guys pass me...but not this time, LOL.

The first mile took us around to the front of the SAC and through one of the parking lots before venturing, briefly, over some grass and crushed gravel as we made our way towards the twisting and turning path(s) through Mahoney State Park. There was a lovely tailwind pushing us...which, of course, meant it would be a nasty headwind on the way back.

Speaking of the wind, holy yowza, was it ever windy! The previous three years of running this race had been laden with crazy wind, and this fourth time was no exception. Thankfully, the temps were warm and the sunshine was beautiful. 

Since the guys had started pretty much only a few seconds after myself, the Chase never felt like a "chase," LOL. Instead, it was basically a regular race from my perspective (nothing wrong with that). The route had numerous cones separating the the "runners" from the "chasers" for the first couple miles (all in good fun). I chaser-fess, that I may have strayed into the chasing lane (with the lads) a few times to to get around some of the herd in the other lane.

So, up and down, and around and round we ran. I didn't have any grandiose finish time goals for this  (other than finishing under an hour), due to the hilly course, the constant twists and turns, and the 20mph sustained wind. A good thing, with all the changes in direction(s), was that it kept us from having a constant headwind to battle (though I never had a true sense of which direction I was going).  

We'd had a water station right before the 2-mile mark (thank goodness, because I was so thirsty!), and then found ourselves on the eastern side of the park for the third mile. We were treated to a an awesome downhill, and a couple of wooden walking bridges, before switching directions (again) and taking on a huge climb for the fourth mile.

The fifth mile was probably the toughest for me, mentally, because it just kept curving. We'd get around one curve, only to have another waiting for us (on an incline, nonetheless).

Finally, the sixth mile! Although it was the homestretch, and I was feeling pretty strong and my pace steady, it still was a l-o-n-g journey back to the SAC grounds. We also had the gravel path and steep grassy hill awaiting us before we were back on the concrete parking lot. Although I was able to run the entire race course (other than a couple of 5-second walk breaks through the water stations), I white-flagged it, briefly, on that final grassy hill. In all honesty, I knew I could walk the steep incline much faster than I could run it (how's that for a racing strategy, LOL).

Anyways, I made it back to the pavement for the final jaunt around the parking lot. Let's not forget the headwind was there until the final last curve (near the 6-mile mark), then it was a (somewhat) simple sprint to the finish line.

...and done! Whew! As always, it felt incredible to to cross the timing mat and make it through the finish line chute. 

Although I didn't get a PR, my finish time was comparable to the other two times on this particular route, 56:43 (2020) and 57:20 (2023). I'm very happy with the 58:52 (official race time showed 58:48), especially since the wind was so brutal.

My splits tell the true story of the hills and the wind: 9:17 /9:27 / 9:01 /9:40 / 9:37 / 9:31 (and 2:20 for the final .26). 

My stats:

it doesn't show it here, but there were 1,822 total participants!

Care to check out the elevation?

Huge thanks to Barb (on the left), who's always game for these kind of adventures. And, it was great reuniting with Nicole (on the right) whom I met at the 2021 Chase (and have stayed in contact with via social media). 

  

As for swag, there was an early bird option to upgrade to a short-sleeve tech shirt (pictured on Nicole, above) or a long-sleeved t-shirt hoodie (which is what I went with). Not pictured is the cute glass pint with the event logo and a map of the race course.


Is it any wonder I keep returning to this event? I'm really sad the Des Moines event isn't around anymore, but the road trip to Omaha is well worth it for all the fun this event brings with it. Besides, it's fun pretending to be Irish for a day!

Have you ever done a St. Patrick's-themed race? Did you dress in the requisite green gear (I hope so!)? Ever done a race with a "chase" format? BTW, the lads won this year!

I'm linking this with Zenaida and Jenn for the TuesdayTopics Linkup


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

20 comments:

  1. Nice job, Kim, especially with that beastly wind! I really like this race format, it sounds like so much fun.
    What determines whether the men won? Is it the time of the first male runner vs. female runner? Or the cumulative times of all men vs. women?
    I love the hoody you got as a swag! I'd definitely be wearing that all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who ever crosses the finish line first, male or female, is the winner. In this case, it was a guy who made it across first, so all the "lads" got a free green beer, and the winner himself received a coveted green plaid sports jacket, LOL ;-)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on another Leprechaun Chase. It sounds like a fun event and well worth the drive. 10ks are tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, 10K's are tough...throw in a bunch of hills and a windy afternoon, and they're even tougher!

      Delete
  3. This seems like a really fun race! I hate running into the wind, I feel like sometimes it slows me down so much. I have never participated in a St. Patrick’s themed race but may have to now that you have shared yours! Congrats on a great race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wins can really be a buzzkill, no doubt. It's much easier running against it, though, than biking into it (ugh, I've done both, LOL).

      Delete
  4. Oh, that does look fun! I love the long sleeve t-shirt hoodie, too! We do have a St. Patrick's Day race here that I've done, but it's an hour away with terrible parking. I love that it's in a historic cemetery, but it's tricky to get to on a busy weekend. Congrats on another great race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This race is so fun, due to the St. Patrick's theme (all the green!) and the chase format really makes it unique!

      Delete
  5. My friends would never drive 3 hours for a race. I might if I had company. Usually one our is my limit.

    Yes on the St Patrick's Day themed races and of course, I am Irish for the day.

    I promise to wear Green on March 17 for my half.

    Congrats on your race. I'd love to be that fast again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three hours is a long drive for a race, but since the race isn't until 4:00, it's not too unbearable.

      Delete
  6. I do love a holiday themed race! That is a long drive to and from in the same day. Nice work to you and Barb looks like a fun race. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a fun race! It's fun getting dressed in the green gear ;-)

      Delete
  7. I'm glad that you want to keep doing this race because I love hearing about it! That elevation tho...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the elevation really keeps things interesting. The Iowa Chase had a pretty flat race course, so that made for a fun race as well.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! This sounds like a fun race- i like the "chase" format. Do you lasses ever win?
    You must really enjoy it to drive six hours round trip!
    P.S. I would have picked the hoodie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the lasses have won in years past. I think they said, at this Omaha venue, the lads are now two wins ahead.

      Delete
  9. Wow, that's a long drive! But with a friend, it's the perfect time to catch up and chat. Congrats on your finish, you did really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it's quite a drive, but this event is so fun and reminiscent of the one we used to do in Des Moines...its kind of a must-do gig.

      Delete
  10. Great job, Kim! I am impressed that you drove that long for a race. I don't think I would do the same. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job, Kim! Congrats! I love the hoodie option and I definitely would have chosen it, too. I've never run in a St. Paddy's Day themed race, but we do have a couple in the area.

    ReplyDelete